Lighting strikes... Rain8net Pro version?

kgingerich
Intermediate
Intermediate

Lighting strikes... Rain8net Pro version?

Postby kgingerich » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:32 am

Well I had lightning strike right outside my house this past weekend. My ELK security system is toast and I just found out my 3 rain8net controllers went poof as well.

Has anyone noticed the new rain8net pro versions they have now? Supposedely they protect against lightning strikes on each and every zone and it allows local control of the zones in case your computer is down.

I may take the plunge and see how it goes.

Kyle

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:56 am

Kyle,

I just lost a Rain8Net as well recently - my 2nd. I went with the Pro version this time since that was my second unit I lost.

I haven't connected it yet but will soon. It has a grounding wire. I wonder if putting the power supply on a surge protector would add another layer of protection?
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

kgingerich
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgingerich » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:05 pm

Sorry to hear you're in the same boat. I went ahead and purchased 3 of the rain8net pro versions this morning since WGL assured me mainlobby wouldn't know any difference between pro and regular versions.

This time I plan on grounding it and putting a surge protector on the wallwort. I suspect the surge came through the valve wiring though.

I feel lucky the lightning didn't hit my house directly as this $1,000 bill could easily have been a $50,000 bill. :) Of course then I'd be talking to my insurance company.

I'll report back when i receive everything.
Kyle

kgingerich
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Lighting strikes... Rain8net Pro version?

Postby kgingerich » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:13 pm

update: I received my 3 pro units. They are almost twice the size of my old units so I had some trouble getting them mounted in my old enclosure. Other than that setup was a snap and everything works just like the old rain8net units.

ccharmatz
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Lighting strikes... Rain8net Pro version?

Postby ccharmatz » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:06 pm

Guess I am way late replying to this post, but I have been using my rain8 net for some time now in the lightning capital of the world. Being such for those out there still with the non pro version I would suggest the zap board from tmanufacturing.

http://www.tmanufacturing.com/surgeprotection.html

It also gives you zone on / activity lights.

I am in no way related, I just use the product.

Charles.

Return to “WGL Designs”