Am I reading this right?

A plugin that allows for end user development of multiple RS232 device control systems.
kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Am I reading this right?

Postby kgudge » Wed May 21, 2008 5:23 am

From looking at the licensing model of MLGenericDevice, I need to pay 40/60 bucks for each device I connect, then I need to write the device myself.

So I want to control 4 LG TVs via serial that is a minimum of $160, depending on the plugins capabilites it could be $240 in licences and I get to write the device plugin?

If the device is approved, Cinemar will then take it wrap and give it away free when other users purchase MLGenericDevice plugin?

This seems a very strange licensing model, it frankly discourages use of the plugin.

Might I suggest a rebate scheme, if I write a plugin and it is then Cinemar approved I get a rebate on my license fee and as the registered author get to use my plugin for free (for devices like TVs and amplifiers this should cover multiple instances of the device).

I believe adopting a model like this would encourage users/integrators and possibly resellers to publish and share their work.

It should generate more sales for the plugin as more devices would become available. It is nearly 12 months since a new device was added to the supported devices list. The current model clearly isn't working.

As it stands I have ten serial ports on my GC devices that will remain unused. I'll buy a edgeport off ebay and use MLGenericSerial.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed May 21, 2008 6:00 am

With our new shopping cart, we might be able to get more creative...possibly a gift certificate for quality driver contributions with documentation?

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Wed May 21, 2008 7:10 am

Sounds like a promising start.

What about the scenario of using multiple copies of the same device driver, for instance I have two LG TVs, both RS232 capable (I'm considering buying two more for other rooms). I think the current licensing model means I need four licenses, yet am only using 1 device driver, which I will need to write. If I implement all controls that means $240 or $160 if I only implement ten controls.

Do I as an author get a rebate on each copy of the device I install? This could be a nice incentive program for installers.....

;-)

Extending it further do I get a rebate each time someone else uses a copy of my device driver? I know this is pushing my luck, but hey you don't get, if you don't ask.

I put together a few basic device controls for a Clear Blue RC-8 Matrix switch last night. Seems to work nicely once the device connects.

I'll put together a matrix control screen over the weekend to show it working.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Wed May 21, 2008 9:25 pm

smoothtlk wrote:With our new shopping cart, we might be able to get more creative...possibly a gift certificate for quality driver contributions with documentation?

I will package mine up and get them ready for distribution! SOunds like a great concept. I do hope you move forward with it.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Return to “MLGenericDevice”