Modulating a single to HDTV RF connection?

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Modulating a single to HDTV RF connection?

Postby Krumpy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:20 pm

One would think that HDTV RF modulators would exist. I've done some research and it appears that they are not as prevelent as one would think.

The idea here is to modulate a ML signal in HD to a HDTV tuner which then could "tune" to the appropriate signle.

This could also be another methodology for distributing multiple HDTV feeds via RG6 rather than CAT5.

Can't find the modulators though.

Thoughts?

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:42 pm

(H)DTV uses a very digital process. I don't know of anything that isn't designed specifically for television broadcast facilities but I haven't looked a lot.

Try searching for 8VSB and QAM - those are the common modulations, at least for US.

I'm still waiting for Sling Catcher to arrive so I can stuff multiple streams down the same pipe (in my case GigE, but I don't see why it wouldn't work over 10Base2 on RG6).
- Brandon
My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

bjdraw

Postby bjdraw » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:21 pm

I have often wondered the same thing. You know they exist for store displays and the like, but why no one makes one for a consumer application is beyond me. Even if it costs $1000 it'd still be a good option for some.
Ben Drawbaugh
How good can it be, if it isn't HD?

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:04 pm

If you go toward the digital signage route, Harris has InfoCaster, Grass Valley has MediaEdge (but each "receiver" unit is ~$800 unless you use a PC). There some others as well, like Scala.

Essentially it's unicast and/or multicast HD video (usually HDV-compliant MPEG-2 Transport Stream, so it's 25 Mbps, 1440x1080) over IP.

If you can get things to IP and out of electrical (baluns) then a whole world opens up.

Maybe someone's already built something more affordable based on VideoLAN Server, I'm not sure.

Right now the major hurdle I think is the capture/encoding side. Aside from Blackmagic's Intensity and Grass Valley's Pegasus, I don't know of a sub-$1000 way to get HD into a computer for encoding and distribution.

That's why the Slingbox + SlingCatcher solution is appealing to me. ~$200 for a Slingbox (encoding side) and ~$250 (projected) for Sling Catcher isn't too bad. The only downfall is that it's 1:1 relationship for sender/receiver, meaning that if you wanted to distribute to 4 points concurrently, you'd need 4 Slingboxes, even if you were sending the same video. Still, Slingbox has made me love my matrix switcher even more.

Now I can watch my DVDs from the road via SlingPlayer and use the MLServer HTML interface to control playback and title selection. :D
- Brandon

My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

bjdraw

Postby bjdraw » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:26 pm

Only problem here is that the slingbox will only sling to one device at a time. Not sure if the new slingcatcher will be an exception to this rule.

Also, Haupauge has anounced a $250 component capture card for the PC.
Ben Drawbaugh

How good can it be, if it isn't HD?

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”