DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Re: rule for turning lights on when movies ends

Postby DaveB » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:08 pm

I have been tracking this thread.

I have a simple automation rule as follows:

1. Movie is over;
2. Stand up and on the way to getting another beer, turn on the light switch. :D

Actually works every time.

You need to really understand automation and appreciate what we all go through to make the simplest of things occur.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

snickers1

Postby snickers1 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:07 pm

DaveB wrote:I have been tracking this thread.

I have a simple automation rule as follows:

1. Movie is over;
2. Stand up and on the way to getting another beer, turn on the light switch. :D

Actually works every time.

You need to really understand automation and appreciate what we all go through to make the simplest of things occur.

Dave i am new at Cinemar for sure and maybe i am not perfect at wording a question or whatever but i do admire what the pro's do. obviouslly there was something that wrote that rubbed you the wrong and if that is the case i apologize.

just to give a little back story on how i got started with all this first automation has always been passion of mine some think that maybe silly but it is a hobby and enjoy every bit of it.
I met Mario through the AVS forum and i followed his thread and his thread on his theater. i was starting mine around the same time he really got moving on his and i spoke to him allot and not only was influenced by his theater build but he also influenced me on profissional level with my company.

I think in this thread what i was accomplishing was pretty basic .. movie starts lights dim then turn off. which works perfectly and again thank you mario and dave for all your guidance.
then when i pause a movie the lights come up a little so i can go get beer or when it time to break the seal because i have had a few beers and it is time to pee. To me i guess this is good safety thing :) . In my last post i just simply said that the macro that i have for when i play a movie is conlicting a little with the automation rule that i have in place when i resume play of movie. it has nothing to do with what happens when a movie ends and to be honest that automation rule works flawlessly. It is watching the status of the movie and when it reaches 98% which is when most movies credit are rolling the lights turn on to a certain level.

I am just trying to be a sponge and learn as much as i can and be able to contribute to this forum just like everyone else.

sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby sonypoolplr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:11 pm

I was wondering if something could be accomplished using the movie run time and a timer. DVDLobby stores the movie run time so couldn't that time be used to set a timer at the movie start and then when the timer gets down to a certain point trigger the macro, automation rule, or whatever is needed? I haven't even started with this, so it might not even be possible, but I thought I would throw it out there incase it might be.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:23 pm

Sony that could be done but the underlying problem is to know exactly when the credits roll. They will never be in the same place for every movie. That's why picking a percent played is the best ballpark choice. Getting the exact time would require opening every movie and jumping to the credit roll and noting its time. Then that time could be entered into one of the database custom fields. Then the automation rule could be run against the elapsed time and the value stored in the custom field. It would mean a lot of work if you had a lot of movies but it is a cool feature.

snickers1

Postby snickers1 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:50 pm

so far 97% seems to be a good sweet spot ... we jus twatched a movie tonight and when it ended the credit ran for about minute but to me it worked out well because usually during this time your discussing if it was good movie or whatever and then by the time your ready to get up the lights have come up
so to me is perfect ...no, but it is pretty dang close ... when there is guest over that has no clue it will be something they will say wow over

sonypoolplr

Postby sonypoolplr » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:39 am

Thanks Dave. Like I said I never even looked into it or even thought of it before this thread started. I have been just dimming the lights when the play movie command is given, and then putting them back to normal when the player is shut off since I am still using changers and discs. Might have to change that when I move to hard drive movies. Waiting for the media player driver and such that are coming soon.

Thanks.

Return to “Automation Rules”