MusicLobby "Playing Status" variable

Tips and Techniques for using MLServer's Automation Rules
ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

MusicLobby "Playing Status" variable

Postby ronsatter » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:15 pm

I can't seem to get a simple automation rule to fire when it reads the value of this variable in MusicLobby:

{{mlmediacenter_htpc_Zone 1_playbackstatus}}

When MusicLobby is playing the value is 2
When MusicLobby is NOT playing, the value is 0

A simple automation rule to execute an MLCommand when the value changes from 0 to 2, ie "Not Playing" to "Playing" does not trigger a command. I have tried several simple commands with no luck. I can see the value of the variable change in MLServer.

Would someone please try this and let me know your findings.

Thanks,

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:57 pm

Two things to check....

Make sure you dont have use fast updates enabled in the plugin in JRMC, otherwise the rule wont trigger and...

You cant use {{ }} brackets in automation rules. Well you can, the rule will never trigger though!

Change the rule to

When
mlmediacenter_htpc_Zone 1_playbackstatus
Equals 2
Then
mlcmd|blah....

That should fix it.
DVDLobby, MuL, JRMC, TV Lobby, DVD Profiler.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:18 pm

kgudge wrote:Two things to check....

Make sure you dont have use fast updates enabled in the plugin in JRMC, otherwise the rule wont trigger and...

You cant use {{ }} brackets in automation rules. Well you can, the rule will never trigger though!

Change the rule to

When
mlmediacenter_htpc_Zone 1_playbackstatus
Equals 2
Then
mlcmd|blah....

That should fix it.

Thanks Kgudge. I did figure out the part about having "Fast Updates" enabled in the plugin in JRMC, but I didn't know about the brackets. I'll try it and report back.

Ron

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:45 am

That fixed my problem. Thanks again Kgudge. Bye the way, you seem to understand the "Automation Rules" feature of MLServer much better than I do. I don't get the drop down menu approach for inserting commands and macros. It doesn't seem to insert the correct command syntax in the rule when you choose a menu item. I have resorted to copying correct macro syntax into the rule. Is the drop down menu system working correctly for you, or do you just paste also?

Ron

Scott

Postby Scott » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:37 am

Ron,

What exactly is it doing when you use the dropdowns? As long as I start with When, then move to And (if I need it), and finishe with Then I haven't seen any problems. Maybe I can help you fix the issue
Scott
InControl

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:06 pm

It can get very twisted and bent out of shape especially when editing rules.

I find if a rule gets screwed up best way is too delete it and start again.

Cut and paste seems to cause me more problems that it tends to fix. I try to stick to the editor whenever possible.

I find server rules great for patching plugin functionality so it works the way I want it to.

If I need to create a bunch of similar rules I create the basic rule, copy it however many times I need and then modify the pasted rules one at a time.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:16 am

Scott wrote:Ron,

What exactly is it doing when you use the dropdowns? As long as I start with When, then move to And (if I need it), and finishe with Then I haven't seen any problems. Maybe I can help you fix the issue

I'm talking about the "Commands" button in the "Command Chooser" window which appears when you select a "When" rule structure. It's drop down menu choices include "Macro" and "MLCmd", among others.

When I choose "Macro", the word "Macro" is inserted into the command syntax text area. The same thing for "MLCmd" inserting "MLCmd". Is that just supposed to be a "Starter" syntax line to which you supply the remaining code? If so, why wouldn't you just use the next button at the top of the "Commands Chooser" window, which is "Macros"? At least that makes sense to me because it displays a drop down menu of all the macros in your command db. If I select one, I would expect it to execute if the rule's "When" conditions were true.

I built a rule using the latter "Macros" command insert in the rule, and it executed correctly. So I basically just either have the rule execute a macro from the drop down "Macros" menu, or I simply cut and paste the proper MLCmd syntax into the "Then" text window, which also works.

I guess I just don't get how to use that first "Commands" button.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:21 am

kgudge wrote:It can get very twisted and bent out of shape especially when editing rules.

I find if a rule gets screwed up best way is too delete it and start again.

Cut and paste seems to cause me more problems that it tends to fix. I try to stick to the editor whenever possible.

I find server rules great for patching plugin functionality so it works the way I want it to.

If I need to create a bunch of similar rules I create the basic rule, copy it however many times I need and then modify the pasted rules one at a time.

I also use your technique of duplicating a basic rule, pasting and modifying it. Helps prevent tiepose :wink:

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:56 pm

Yep, it just starts the command line with the correct command word MLCmd etc..., nothing more, nothing less.

The variables, Macros will offer you a list of existing macros or variables. When creating a set of rules this isn't very helpful (cut n paste is much faster), however when you come back to a rule a month later, it can be very helpful since I can never remember the right variable or macro name and scanning the list helps jog my memory.

Return to “Automation Rules”