Insteon Status Change with Automation Rule

Tips and Techniques for using MLServer's Automation Rules
wireless

Insteon Status Change with Automation Rule

Postby wireless » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:51 pm

I have two three way circuits in a project house. A scene with control and status for the load bearing switch in the group was set up. The switches have been cross linked manually to each switch in their respective groups and linked back to the PLC. The switches respond to a manual press and control each other correctly and the physical status on each switch is displayed correctly. In MLlighting Each manual flip of the switch only changes the status of the switch that was flipped. OK, so the thinking was to create an automation rule that used getstatus to poll the other two switches in the group. Worked great for the first group but not the second.

Let's say light 014 is the load bearing switch that I am trying to get to reflect the status when light 012 is actually turned on or off.

I created and Automation rule that says:

Whenever MLlighting_012_status changes value
Then MLServeCmd.SetVariable|mllighing_014_status~{{mllighting_012_status}}

Made sense to me but is not working. The command is never seen in the logs and the variables do not change, so I must be making a mistake in the syntax somewhere. Can someone point me in the right direction?

P.S. I also tried a changes value~On then change the lighting status to On for the target switch. It worked as far as executing in the logs but the target switch never changed status either in the plugin or in the variable list.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:34 pm

How about creating a group for the 3way lights and turn the group on from MainLobby instead of the single light. I'm pretty sure that would keep both switch status bars on the switch in sync.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

fnkpet
Expert
Expert

Postby fnkpet » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:48 pm

Before I go into this let me say that there are a number of issues right now with light status updates in the recent mllighting releases (at least for me as I am trying to get a PLM up and running).

The first thing to of course ensure is that if you are trying to update light 1 (load bearing) when light 2 changes make sure that when you hit light 2 it changes the variable/ status of light 2 in ML lighting and it is correctly showing on or off. If that is not the case the below is irrelevant........

There are a couple ways to do this AFAIK. I have done it both ways below.

This assumes that light 1 is linked to the second switch (i.e. you have done the insteon 'link thing')

1) First way is within the lighting pluin itself.

You could set a rule to check the status of the other light in response to an on or off command, but here I did it the other 'way' and explicity set the value of the other light to on or off to keep it in sysnc.

In the screen shot Dinning2 is the non load bearing light I am setting the rule up in and light 010 is the load bearing.

2) Set a rulle up in the automation rules wherein when the status of light 1 changes then set the value of the other light to on or off. I never tried it 'wour' way where you try to repsond genericaly to any change in the status. I.e. How I did it was to set an explcit rule for ON and another rule for off where all it does is check the second light. Example #1

In my example light 21 is not load bearing and it is checking 057 which is load bearing.

Light 21 turns on, Check status of light 57.
Light 21 turns off check status of light 57.

(I have just shown the off response you would need a seperate rule for on)

So when you hit the non load bearing switch and the load bearing swicth goes on or off MLserver will heck the load bearing status (and update it).

I hope this makes sense.

Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fnkpet
Expert
Expert

Postby fnkpet » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:54 pm

Mario - Im pretty sure his issue is when he manualy pushes the actual non load bearing SWITCH that the status of the non load bearing is not updated in the variables.

Your idea works (groups) in keeping them in sync when a MLS command is issued. But again, the problem is when you hit an actual swicth (non load bearing) keeping the load bearing status in sync in the MLS Variables.

Frank

wireless

Postby wireless » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:41 am

Mario,

Frank is actually dead on. The issue is the manual press of the switch. The non-load bearing switch is reporting correctly in the plugin but the load bearing switch doesn't change status in the plugin.

Frank,

Thanks for the instructions, Your way is more elegant and I'll give it a try.

Return to “Automation Rules”