where to go

donburkard
Expert
Expert

where to go

Postby donburkard » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:34 pm

where are you guys getting your upb stuff? It seams as though i shouldnt have gone with upb seeing as though insteon has so much stuff available like those electronic door looks?
Hooked on HighDef

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Re: where to go

Postby DaveB » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:58 pm

I get my stuff from Worthington solutions. You can also get items from Home Controls. UPB is much more stable than Insteon.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby shakey » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:36 pm

Any one thinking of UBP lighting control should look at the Simply Automated advanced kit. SmartHomeUSA has it on sale for $150. That's dirt cheap for what you get, 2 switches, controller switch, serial interface module and phase coupler. I was ordering a Ted 5000 when I found it. So I will be adding lighting plus the Ted this weekend.

Shakey

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:47 pm

Shakey,

Sounds like you'll have an exciting weekend from an automation perspective.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby shakey » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:50 pm

Mario,

Hoping it all goes smooth, but if it doesn't I know you and Dave will spend all weekend watching the forum to help. :mrgreen:

Shakey

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:50 pm

Post questions if you have UPB tech stuff that you do not understand. Until you get the hang of it, the UPB configuration program is a bit confusing.

Keep in mind one simple rule - You MUST get UPB running as expected prior to implementing it inside of ML/MLS. Think of UPB as it's own operating system with ML/MLS being the graphic front end to that system. You must get the basics working first.

I have nearly 40 devices, all working great for the last four years or so. My system is controlled by both HAI and ML/MLS. HAI does all the exit path lighting that ties into the fire alarm and emergency burglar lighting. Cinemar does the rest.

Have fun with your project!! 8)
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby shakey » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:39 pm

Well I'm going to give UPB and Ted 5000 another crack this weekend. I had to get a filter to put on my Panasonic plasma. It was almost pegging the Upstart noise meter whenever I'd turn it on and the Ted would loose comm whenever it was on. (I have a feeling that when the Panasonic power supply failed and was repaired under warranty that its still not perfect. You can see the noise levels changes as the the picture changes colors.) So hopefully the filter will solve my problems and lighting automation can continue and the kids seeing the amount of power they use thru MLEnergy screens will teach them how easy it is to turn the light and TV off in their room when they are not in it.

Dave B,

Thanks for your offer to answer questions about up start, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me.

Shakey

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby shakey » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:53 pm

UPB all went in easily other than I found the one switch in the house that didn't have a neutral in the box. So other than some time in the attic in this cool Florida weather it went great. The plug in was very easy to configure. I'm sure my neighbors thought I was sending Morse code as it was dark out as I was getting every thing working, so lights where going on and off quite a bit. Now to work on a floor plan. My lights and fans are set in the proper rooms, but Dave's floor plan looks nothing like my house. I'll probably start with simple jpg. and then convert it to a swf and try add touchable area from later on.

I'd like to add some more lighting but I have take home automation expenditure break as we are starting to remodel the master bath. I swear if you took all price tags off of the faucets, granite, tile etc. the ones she picked would still be the most expensive.

Shakey

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:52 pm

Ah - Yet another case of automation taking a back seat! My money has been a bit redirected to Irish Dancing...It is all part of keeping peace in the family! :D
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby shakey » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:06 am

Just a heads up, SmarthomeUSA has the advanced UPB lighting kit on sale again for $149.95. Plus free shipping and you can use the code EARTHDAY to save $10 off your order. It's a steal for 140 bucks. Just the three switches and faceplates would cost more than this kit.

I couldn't resist so I ordered another one. I'll install the switches when the wife isn't around, I wonder how long it will take her to notice a few new automated lights. I think I'll do the kids bedroom lights, their hands must be broken cause every time I go by the rooms no one is in them and the light is on. One day when I switch out our Vista panel with an Elk, I see motion sensors with a timer rule in their future.

Chad

Return to “UPB”