Port# on USB PIM

maik

Port# on USB PIM

Postby maik » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:54 am

I need to know what port# I should use when I set up a USB PIMM modual. Port #1 was the only port where I was asked for network ID # and password. But the log shows Error--Could not send command, PIMM not responding: "some codes after that" over and over.

UPStart works fine, including controlling the switches.

Maik

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Re: Port# on USB PIM

Postby mcascio » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:52 am

Try setting it to port 1234.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

maik

Postby maik » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:58 pm

In MLLighting under CONTROLLERS I add a controller and select the UBP PIMM Modual. After that I select SETTINGS and Select a PORT under CONNECTION. I can choose comm 1, comm2, comm3 all the way up to comm16. I have used them all, the only one that asked me for id and password was comm1. BUT with this error message in the log. Error--Could not send command, PIMM not responding:

Any other comm prt gives me this message.cmdConnectError #8002-Invalid port number at line 60.

Where or how do you want me to try port 1234, or do you mean 1 and then comm2....?

Maik

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:00 am

Sorry Maik,

I was thinking password when I was responding.

Unfortunately I don't know what port your USB pimm is on, just make sure no other application like UPSTART is using it while you are trying to connect.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:43 pm

maik wrote:In MLLighting under CONTROLLERS I add a controller and select the UBP PIMM Modual. After that I select SETTINGS and Select a PORT under CONNECTION. I can choose comm 1, comm2, comm3 all the way up to comm16. I have used them all, the only one that asked me for id and password was comm1. BUT with this error message in the log. Error--Could not send command, PIMM not responding:

Any other comm prt gives me this message.cmdConnectError #8002-Invalid port number at line 60.

Where or how do you want me to try port 1234, or do you mean 1 and then comm2....?

Maik

Maik; Shut down MLS and startup the Upstart program. Connect the UPB PIMM to a port (any port) and get it connected to Upstart. Upstart can search for the device. Make sure that the port you choose is not already connected to something. Also be sure that the physical port settings in Windows are correct under control panel/devices. You need to get the PIMM talking well and programed via Upstart prior to connecting it to MLS. Once you have all that resolved, enter the same port in the MLS lighting setup and you will be fine.

Post any issues on the windows side of things if you need assistance.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

maik

Postby maik » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:28 pm

Thank you Dave for your help, but the big problem is that I am using a usb PIMM so I do not know how to set it up in the MLLighting. MLLighting wants to know what comm port to use, should there not be a usb option? Instead of comm ports?

The USB PIMM works perfect in UPStart.

Maik

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Look in Windows Device Manager for a virtual serial port (a serial port you know you don't have on your motherboard)....that is probably your USB UPB device. That com port number is what you should configure the plugin for.

maik

Postby maik » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:36 pm

I ordered a serial PIMM, I am sure that will take care of this problem. I am convinced that it is not possible to setup a USB PIMM with MLLighting.

Maik

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:18 pm

Ah; I missed the USB part. Sorry! I am sure it will work with the serial one.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

maik

Postby maik » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:27 pm

Serial version is now working. That means that your plugin does NOT support usb as was stated here. http://wiki.cinemaronline.com/index.php?title=MLLighting_Plugin

(General hardware setup for UPB Lighting Plug in the UPB PLC controller into the serial or USB port of the MLServer PC. You load the UPStart software on that PC and configure the UPB devices as per the UPStart / UPB core installation instructions.)

This cost me a extra $100.00.
Not happy.

Maik

maik

Postby maik » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:00 pm

Thank you for updating the Wiki.

Maik

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:09 am

Maik,

Unfortunately we don't have a chance to purchase every piece of hardware for testing. It is not uncommon for USB devices to show up as a virtual serial port on the computer. It's possible that the USB version doesn't do that however. After researching the simply-automated website, they do recommend the serial version for home automation control. The wiki has been updated.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

maik

Postby maik » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:15 am

Yes I understand, it was more the waste of time then the $100 that was frustrating to me.

Maik

Return to “UPB”