Fireplace Control

Funboy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Fireplace Control

Postby Funboy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:49 pm

For controlling a fireplace via UPB, can I simply replace my wall-switch (toggle style) with a UPB relay switch? Or is there something more involved?

Thanks.
- Funboy

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:59 pm

Nav,

That should work. I used one of the GC-100 relays in my own house.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:26 pm

Yep; That will work. I typically control them from a relay attached to the alarm system, and program the relay to turn off the fireplace when the alarm is set. A UPB relay switch will work just fine.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Clever1

Postby Clever1 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:41 am

Funboy,
Did that work? Since the wall switch to control the fireplace is not actually connected to the electric grid as it is used and a toggle switch, I was think that you needed something else. I use the SA UMI which is a UPB relay type device (use the same device to open and closed garage doors).

Funboy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Funboy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:18 am

Clever1, in my situation a relay switch didn't work. My setup is similar to yours. The fireplace is powered directly, and I simply have a toggle switch mounted on my wall that controls the fireplace relay.

I was also considering using a UMI.

I have an electrical outlet under my fireplace. Currently that electrical outlet has the fireplace fan plugged into it with 1 free receptacle. I was planning on plugging the UMI into it and connect that to the fireplace relay.

Unfortunately I don't have a UMI handy to try it out. Got one on order. I'll let you know how it works out.
- Funboy

Funboy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Funboy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:23 pm

Attached is a picture showing the wiring for a Simply Automated UMI-20.

You simply need to create an active Link and deactive Link thru UPStart.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Funboy

Clever1

Postby Clever1 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:44 am

That is exactly how I have my fireplace set up. I am using the recepticle that is in the fireplace. We don't have the fan so the whole plug is free. It works great. Have an 8 button desktop controller that the upb link is toggled by. Works like a charm. Wife loves it and impresses friends.

Clever1

Postby Clever1 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:47 am

It took me a bit to get the upb link for this device to toggle by a single button but I have it working now. I just need to figure out how to toggle it from Main Lobby. I also have an HAI Omni Pro II and a HomeSeer box both tied back to the ML interface.

Funboy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Funboy » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:19 pm

Clever1, I got it all working.

My fireplace icon toggles the fireplace by using a variable to maintain the state and then calling a groupon with the appropriate link.

Works beautifully.

I even included the fireplace fan and have that auto-magically turning on when the fireplace is turned on.
- Funboy

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:59 am

That is exactly how I do it. Also, program the fireplace to automatically turn off on an alarm event and also when you set your HAI in away mode.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Clever1

Postby Clever1 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:36 pm

I haven't been able to use the UPB functionality becuase I don't have the UPB plugin (purchased) holding back on buying anything right now trying to get all of the other things that I have bought working. I guess I could use the HomeSeer interface to pass a command to the UPB system... I'll have to look at it this weekend.

Clever1

Re: Fireplace Control

Postby Clever1 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:47 am

It has been a while since I posted here so I'll give an update on the Fireplace control using the UMI. In addition to the setup mentioned to control the fireplace strictly via UPB I add the toggle switch back in and tied it into the other momentary contacts channel in UMI now when the switch on the wall is pushed the fireplace will either turn on or off based on its current status. We like being able to control it with just the switch too for when company is at the house and not familiar with the automation setup they can at least turn the fire place on and off.

Return to “UPB”