Variable not updating with keypad changes

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Variable not updating with keypad changes

Postby jpimentel » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:30 pm

I'm not seeing updates from keypads coming through to MLServer.

All lights have "Send auto state reports" checked.

If I click update under general information, I get the right info.

The option "Report light level after rocker switch is pressed" is checked in UPStart as well.

Also I have 1 load that is not dimmable, but it shows up under MLLighting as dimmable and will let me try at least to set it to a level less than 100%

I have done some unusual configurations with my loads. Some are never physically touched and are only controlled through links from other buttons/rockers some loads rockers control different loads than the one they are attached to.

Again, all this works perfectly within UPStart, so the problems seems to lie in the translation.

Ideas?

Update: I doubled checked all loads, there is one load that updates properly. It is the one that has the rocker locally connected to the load. The other two that have rockers controlling other different loads are the problem children.
Regards,

John

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:08 pm

So after thinking on this a few minutes, maybe it is not rocker updates that are the problem but link updates since two of the loads are only controlled via links???

Does that make any sense / spark any ideas for possible solutions?
Regards,

John

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:23 am

Is anyone home?
Regards,

John

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:07 pm

John; I do not know if you got anyplace on this. All I can say is Yep; Same problem here and I stopped asking about 6 months ago.

To be fair, I have a hell of a mess with lighting. I have three half systems in the home;

1/2 of a vantage system (dealer version) with 8 loads
1/2 of a UPB system that is mostly still controlled by HAI due to the issues with MLLighting
and a few X-10's that now only work some times now that I installed TED

I also am the proud owner of the Insteon module and 3 dimmers that I can not seem to control through ML.

So back to topic; I do think that there are issues with UPB and ML, but the interest at the moment is not on UPB.

And yes - I continue to be very frustrated by very poor lighting control through Main Lobby. They gave up on MLLighting, which I still feel was a huge mistake, and probably some of the reason that no one is quick to dig into UPB issues. Just my opinion. :roll:
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:43 am

I have seen some activity in working other UPB issues out so I am hopeful that MLLighting and related plugins are in fact not dead, but more that there are resource limitations making things painfully slow in this area.

I'm glad to hear that I am not the lone ranger here and not the only one having a problem. To me lighting control is key to the overall success of any automated solution and I'm an pretty sure Cinemar would agree.

I think if we all keep pressing, something will eventually happen.
Regards,

John

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:14 am

I agree - Lighting or more accurately, load control along with heating and cooling control are the keys to success with energy management.

I have had other conversations with David L about MLLighting. It apparently does not fit into the current or future architecture of the overall product. Due to this, rather than reconstructing that plug-in, they went down the path of separating lighting control into individual modules. Insteon is an example of this new direction. So in turn, UPB is stuck in an old plug-in.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:29 am

I can understand that, in fact it doesn't really mater to me how the bits are managed. It would have been nice to shove everything lighting into one place for centralized manageability, but the truth be told, as long as it's documented and it works, I don't care how I have to format the commands. I deal with so many various sub systems as it is, one or two more won't ever kill me.

All I ask is that it works in a reasonable fashion, and I remain hopeful we are moving in that direction.
Regards,

John

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:59 am

Mario, David and Dave;

Any chance of getting UPB on the list of things to take a close look at fairly soon?

Based on Johns' and my comments above, there are several items concerning proper status reporting with linked switches. Both John and I have the exact same issues.

At this point, just a response to the posts above would be great. :?
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:47 am

Hi Dave,

As John mentioned above, we have been working with him to troubleshoot known issues and add support for additional devices that weren't initially there.

Any switch besides the load switch and switches that have two loads have never been supported since release.

I believe we've investigated this several times and it will require more time to add support to allow MLServeCmds from those switches if their protocol supports it and we can get status from those other buttons.

I have always loved the concept of the MLLighting Family and that has been a constant internal struggle here. I think a lot of the kinks and confusion will start to work itself in time though.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:33 am

Thanks and I appreciate the response. I am just frustrated in general with lighting control as I mentioned above. I went down the Insteon path briefly, only to stop quickly due to all the issues. Mostly, I have a UPB house and would like great control directly from ML/MLS. I have control as mentioned, but status updates are nearly always wrong, even if you are not using a link to turn on the load.

Any load action by a link gets lost
Most load actions directly from a load switch also get lost.

Due to this, status is a mess and not at all reliable through ML/MLS. I will say that control is not bad, but with out status, what is the point.

I can control lighting through the HAI plugin and from the HAI panel, but with the issues of the current beta version of the HAI plugin loosing communication continuously with the panel, I am in the same boat.

I am just frustrated on both fronts, as it seems that solid basic lighting control should be the foundation of any control system. Bottom line is that I do have great lighting control of my home, just not through Cinemar.

If there is any testing or anything else I can do to assist, please let me know. I have about 30 loads under UPB control currently and about 40 active links.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:48 am

Dave,

The best way to assist in debugging is by doing a controlled experiment and then capture those logs when you figure out how to replicate the problem.

If we can replicate the problem on our end, it should be easier to fix.

AFAIK, I haven't heard of single load switches having problems with status reports. So if this is an issue, we do want to address this.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:20 pm

mcascio wrote:Hi Dave,

As John mentioned above, we have been working with him to troubleshoot known issues and add support for additional devices that weren't initially there.

Any switch besides the load switch and switches that have two loads have never been supported since release.

I believe we've investigated this several times and it will require more time to add support to allow MLServeCmds from those switches if their protocol supports it and we can get status from those other buttons.

I have always loved the concept of the MLLighting Family and that has been a constant internal struggle here. I think a lot of the kinks and confusion will start to work itself in time though.

A second swipe at my response; More time to think.....

1. John did not mention that you were working with him above. I thought he was hanging out here alone. I do hope that you are working on some solutions to the issues surrounding this plug-in. It needs lot of life support at this point.
2. Where is it documented that you do not support links? Documentation for UPB is fairly non-existent. You really need to work on this. The MLLighting documentation is very poor.
3. The beauty of UPB is linking. Why would this not be a top priority in the driver implementation?
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:08 pm

Mario;
I finally had some time for some link testing. As you stated, the plugin is not aware of actions by linked buttons, which needs to be resolved. I every installation that I have ever completed using UPB, there are many links due to the availability of the various style multi-button keypad faces available. In my home, I have 42 links.

I tested a simple linked tabletop keypad for the results below. This keypad has a simple program. Each button is hard coded to ramp the light on the table; Link 1 - 15%; Link 2 - 30% and and so on up to 90%.

The plugin received the data, but the light that is being controlled is not updated in MLS.

The linked pad is ID 33 and the Lamp Module is ID 49. The following is the log; Each set is sequential; Link 1 then 2 and so on up to link 4.

------------------------------ Save Log ------------------------------
10/31/2008 8:53:15 PM Rx: PU890401012120FFFF32
10/31/2008 8:53:16 PM Rx: PU890501012120FFFF31

10/31/2008 8:53:18 PM Rx: PU890401022120FFFF31
10/31/2008 8:53:18 PM Rx: PU890501022120FFFF30

10/31/2008 8:53:20 PM Rx: PU890401032120FFFF30
10/31/2008 8:53:21 PM Rx: PU890501032120FFFF2F

10/31/2008 8:53:23 PM Rx: PU890401042120FFFF2F
10/31/2008 8:53:23 PM Rx: PU890501042120FFFF2E

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Once more, the light did change in brightness, but the parameters were never updated in MLS. This is due to the links not being exposed to MLS. The plug-in and driver were obviously designed to handle links, and it seems to work well from the plug-in control panel. I can even activate and deactivate links from this panel.

If this is truly a two way interface, I still do not understand why the light brightness and status values are not being updated as the load changes. The UPB interface reports those changes even if links are not tracked, but MLS is never updated.

Can you simply take a look at this combination of MLLighting and UPB and expose all of the link variables and actions to the interface? That would be a great start.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:19 pm

Guys,

There are new versions of the UPB Driver and the MLLighting Family available from the Installation Assistant.

Can you test it out and verify whether or not the lighting status is working properly even across links?

Please provide a log or a step by step on how to reproduce the bug if one exists.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:25 pm

Another update posted just now for UPB that should resolve problems with links and dual load switches.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

Return to “UPB”