Variable not updating with keypad changes

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:26 am

Mario; On a very short initial test - it works. I will test it more thoroughly on Thursday and will let you know. Thanks!!
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:32 am

Thanks.

It would be nice to get additional feedback from others as well so we can put this one to rest.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:04 am

Mario - I finally had some time to put this through the ringer, and have the following to report.

First; I have 48 UPB devices in the home, which are a mix of Simply Automated and HAI brands. Both have slightly different features but work together well. I control my system three ways; (1) from the HAI panel via a HAI UPB interface; (2) From MLS via a Simply Automated Serial interface; (3) directly from the keypads and rockers throughout the home.

I am using the latest UPB plugin (1.0.953) via MLLighting (1.0.987).

Results;

1. Keypads with links as above update well in MLS when implementing the link directly from a keypad. That problem seems to be repaired.
    2. Links are not exposed to the interface by the driver or MLLighting, so I can not action a link from a touchscreen nor can I simulate a keypad from a touchscreen.
    3. UPB Dimmers; Work great when controlled from MLS, and variables are updated based on inputs from the screens. The problem is that the driver apparently does not interrogate the module for dimmers. If a dimmer is controlled locally from the switch or from HAI, MLS never picks up the change. This renders the variables for all devices quickly out of synchronization in MLS. I have verified that HAI is picking up the changes, so they are being reported across the UPB network.

UPB control via the HAI plugin works fairly well, actually better than through this plugin, but has it's own set of issues. Unfortunately, the UPB driver advancements are on hold awaiting HAI's new version 3.0, which is 9 months late at this point.

My goal in the end; Get comprehensive lighting control via my touchscreens using UPB. Lots of work still needs to be done to achieve that goal.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Near76
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Near76 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:41 am

Just checking in...I've been following this and am in the process of switching out 50+ Insteon switches for UPB. Mostly dimmers, but a couple are keypads. Can the plugin currently trigger MLS events based on a keypad button press? Any updates/fixes to the UPB driver to correct the issues above? I'd hate to switch to UPB only to find the same problems I had with Insteon.
-Matt

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:05 am

Yes - as long as the button is configured correctly, it will work and can trigger events in MLS.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Near76
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Near76 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:06 am

Thank you, is there something out there that explains how to properly configure the button?
-Matt

Near76
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Near76 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:56 pm

DaveB...can you please let me know how a button should be configured. I have keypads with one rocker and 4 buttons and can only get the rocker to be seen in MLS. Two buttons are Toggle Buttons and the other two are Link Activators...all 4 have dedicated links they control. Thanks!
-Matt

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:24 pm

Yep - I will pull up my setup and will post. Look for it in the morning.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Near76
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Near76 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:34 pm

Will do, thanks!
-Matt

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:54 pm

Matt; See the screen shots below. I control my UPB currently via HAI and control HAI via MLS and ML. With my current method, I have lost the ability to have HAI transmit keypad data to ML/MLS until the next version of the HAI controller is released.
I also have ML/MLS connected to the same UPB network and do use it for some non-critical control, as I do not like computers running critical lighting like exit path and so on.
With the current version of the UPB driver, I can see and toggle all keypad buttons with the exception of the one that is of type "Super Toggler". The driver does not like that one. LED's also follow the ML/MLS commands for these buttons.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Return to “UPB”