UPB and Elk

hobie_od

UPB and Elk

Postby hobie_od » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:09 am

I want to be able to use the M1G to control lights based off of triggers. Is there an advantage to running MLUPB instead of just sending commands to the M1G via MLELK?

I would think that versus a PC the M1G would be considered the more stable platform of the two. Which would make it more reliable for basic light automation.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:22 am

Depends on what you put as the priority.

If auto scheduled of lights is highest, and security / reliability are paramount, then you might want to put the lightin on the ELK, especially if you have not dedicated a server to be 24x7 and use it Only as a controller and build it for reliability (hardware and software configuration). If you do the latter, then the PC is no less reliable than an ELK as it becomes an embedded controller like an ELK (just lots more power and capability). BTW, the latter is not typical of a DIY install where you buy a Dell computer, load standard software and keep it plugged in (that is not what I refer to).

If you find you use your lights more from the MainLobby interface (much more typical in most homes), then you might want the higher responsiveness that the direct MainLobby Server to UPB controller provides. Especially true with using a graphical slider to adjust dim control.

You can do both at the same time using two UPB controllers. I think there are a couple of users doing this with Insteon (at least). I haven't done this myself as I use MainLobby Server direct to lighting controller (not via my ELK M1). For me, reponsiveness from the touchpanels is paramount. I don't consider lights to be a major security issue.

hobie_od

Postby hobie_od » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:21 pm

I would lean toward responsiveness. I can alway pass command from Elk to MLUPB.

Return to “UPB”