Denon 3805 serial communcation

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:07 am

Thanks.

So far reports are good as far as controlling the Denon. I'd be curious if anyone else is having TCP/IP connection issues.

We may need some to record their logs for us so we can interpret the information coming back. We'll let you know more details though.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

srgny
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby srgny » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:08 am

Mario,

The connection issue was minor, and probably related to not clicking the "connect" button, but rather checking the "connect on start up" box. The serial connection did not work either, probably for the same reason, or possible because the MLGS plug-in is using the com port connected to the receiver.

stevew

Postby stevew » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:17 pm

Mario,

With the latest version I get the following errors in the log file, sending commands still works as before though.

The save log file option doesn't seem to do anything, that could be really useful for debugging this stuff as screen dumping is limited in what you can display.

Thanks

Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

srgny
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby srgny » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:06 am

The latest version of the Denon device manager generates errors on MLS start-up. The initial commands (PW? ZM?, etc.) are not getting through. The commands seem to work. I can see the received info in the log box, but no ML variables seem to be generated.

srgny
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby srgny » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:10 am

The commands don't work from the "send commands" box in MLS.

stevew

Postby stevew » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:22 pm

The latest version is working much better with the correct variables being populated, very cool! I am getting one error on in the log as per the attached screen dump, this may be an additional variable on the 4306 as apposed to 4806?

I would like to convert all my existing macros to use the plugin and give it a real test. But I am worried that if I do so there might be a gap between the Beta release and the proper release that would leave my system inoperable (like the WMI plugin that hasn't worked for months for me). I can't really see a decent way to test it fully without putting it into operation, but as the denon is the centre of my system I would be screwed if it doesn't work. I understand it is Beta and will be happy returning to previous versions if the latest causes problems, I just don't want to be left with an expired plugin. I'm just looking for a bit of re-assurance before I put the effort in.

On another note, I have noticed that if I leave the MLfamilyPlugin open in MLServer then after a period of time I start to get run-time errors. I will raise another topic on this when I have tracked it down a bit more, just interested if someone else could try it in the meantime. Right click on the plugin and select settings... then leave it like that.

Thanks

Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:35 pm

steve,

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like we're very close.

Any more info you can provide on the Runtime error would be great. We put a 90 day timeout on this one because we wanted to make sure we had enough time to wrap it up. Given the pace we've been going at, I don't foresee any reason why it won't be done in the next three months if not the next couple weeks barring any complications.

Although with any beta, it's good to have some type of backup in place. It's possible we could break things during beta. In fact, it's almost inevitable without the hardware here for testing. We're flying blind here on this one. So we're relying on feedback...good or bad.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

srgny
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby srgny » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:47 pm

seems to work. variables aren't populated at start-up, but will up-date with change.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:04 am

srgny,

The driver should grab all data from the unit once connected. Open your log after startup...you should see a number of commands like:
Sx: PW?
Sx: MV?
etc.

The TCP/IP doesn't seem to connect as fast as serial. So there could be some delay at startup.

We're looking for more feedback from testers. Let us know if all variables look correct. More importantly, we want to get to the bottom of any runtime errors.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

srgny
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby srgny » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:22 pm

OK. I got a run time error (subscript out of range) when trying to switch from TCP to serial. Everything seems frozen now. Also, I get error messages in the log when changing volume. The Denon sends the current volume setting, then the max allowed volume (MV30<CR>MVMAX80). The MVMAX response seems to screw things up. I had a similar problem usisng the genericserial plugin. I would also like to see a ML variable that shows the volume in dB not the screwball Denon values. The Denon values are not linear. Also changing volume in 0.5 dB increments generates errors.

srgny
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby srgny » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:30 pm

I can't get it to connect via serial.

stevew

Postby stevew » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:52 pm

I haven't managed to replicate the run-time error that I was getting, it just hasn't occured since.

I am getting an error with the following commands:
MLServeCmd.MLDeviceManager|4~ZoneSource~1~VCR-1
MLServeCmd.MLDeviceManager|4~ZoneSource~1~VCR-2
MLServeCmd.MLDeviceManager|4~ZoneSource~1~VCR-3
MLServeCmd.MLDeviceManager|4~ZoneSource~1~CDR/TAPE

The error is:
08/21/2006 19:42:53 Push desktop MLServeCmd.MLDeviceManager|4~ZoneSource~1~VCR-2
08/21/2006 19:42:53 Processing desktop MLServeCmd.MLDeviceManager|4~ZoneSource~1~VCR-2
08/21/2006 19:42:53 MLDeviceManager Server Invalid command received. Invalid zone source: ZoneSource~1~VCR-2

The other sources process ok, as below, so it looks like it's just sources with a "-" or "/" that cause the error.
08/21/2006 19:43:53 Push desktop MLServeCmd.MLDeviceManager|4~ZoneSource~1~DBS
08/21/2006 19:43:53 Processing desktop MLServeCmd.MLDeviceManager|4~ZoneSource~1~DBS

I would also like to see some additional commands added, such as:
MS - Surround mode
PS - Parameter Setting
TF - Tuner Frequency
TP - Tuner Preset
TM - Tuner mode

There are others I would like, but those are the most desirable for me at the moment.

Great plugin, and it is working great (apart from the problems above).

Thanks

Steve

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:11 pm

Steve,

Upgrade to the latest version just posted:
http://www.cinemaronlineforums.com/foru ... 3318#53318

Also, our programmer mentioned that the commands you requested are not supported...unless you have more information than us.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

stevew

Postby stevew » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:10 pm

Thanks Mario,

I can get the input source to change if I send

MLServeCmd.MLDeviceManager|4~ZoneSource~1~VCR1 instead of
MLServeCmd.MLDeviceManager|4~ZoneSource~1~VCR-1 as it says in the documentation.

but still can't get:
MLServeCmd.MLDeviceManager|4~ZoneSource~1~CDR/TAPE to work from a mainlobby button, it works from within the plugin controller.

I'm also not sure about having the volume in db, while it is more linear it means the sliders don't work as the value runs between a negative and positive range, (-80 to +18 )

There are lots more commands supported, I am already using them one way via the TCP plugin. Perhaps some are not available on the 4806, but they certainly work on my 4306. The documentation on the 4306 can be found here:

http://usa.denon.com/AVR4306_C4320_PROTOCOL_4.6.pdf

Thanks

Steve

srgny
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby srgny » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:48 am

The new plug-in seems to work better. The variables populate on startup. The error with the MVMAX80 still occurs, but doesn't seem to effect anything. Using the alias (in my case, "denon") doesn't work from the command line, however the ID number does work.

The "vcr1" (no dash) works. CDR/TAPE does not work.

Might I suggest two volume variables-one that reports the volume level in dB and a second "alt" value that is linear from 0 to 100 and is usable to send commands that will work easily with a slider. The B&K CT610 plugin uses this system quite effectively.

Return to “Denon”