Denon 3805 serial communcation

htsource
Intermediate
Intermediate

Denon 3805 serial communcation

Postby htsource » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:33 pm

Hi,

I'd like to know how to control a Denon 3805 receiver through serial connection? I'm thinking of using this receiver for whole house audio since it can have up to 3 zones audio.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Simon

fnkpet
Expert
Expert

Postby fnkpet » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:44 pm

Its easy. I have a 3805.

Just run a serial cable (not crossover) from your computer to the serial in on the denon.

Then issue commands through ML server via ther serial port.

FYI - you have to configure the serial plugin first.

For example I have a button in Main Lobby that sets the volume....

MLServeCmd.MLGenericSerial|SEND~MV55~

The last part is the serial command

MV55 is setting the Main Volume to 55.

PWON~ is Poweron.....

for a full list get the serial protocol from Denon's site at

http://www.usa.denon.com/1766.asp?model ... eField.y=4

Take care.

Frank

htsource
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby htsource » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:06 am

Frank,

Thank you for your information. I've attached a screenshot of the settings I have for the serial plugin. In my case, I can't get the receiver to respond. I do have a straight through serial cable but over about 50 ft of distance. Maybe I'll try dragging the receiver in the basement closer to the computer to make sure it has nothing to do with length of serial cable.

I really hope to get the serial to work.

Thanks,
Simon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HAObsessed

Postby HAObsessed » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:01 pm

Simon,
R U able to communicate through HyperTermianl?
I have the Denon 3803. The cable required for serial connection is a DB9 to mini stereo plug. Does the 3805 use the same cable setup? I am trying to find my pin out diagram now.

Frank,
Do you mind posting your command maps for the 3805?
Larry

fnkpet
Expert
Expert

Postby fnkpet » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:11 pm

Ill go check my setup when I get home tonight. One thing for sure though.

You DO NOT enter the full ML serve command in the window in the plugin for send (lower left of your screen shot). From within the plugin just type in the command Example....

PWON

No ~(tilde) or anything

And hit the send button.

You only type the full mlscommand if you are tring to execute outside the plugin.

Frank

htsource
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby htsource » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:21 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks you very much for the responses. I tried connecting through HyperTerminal, I get no response from serial port. Turned on/off the receiver, nothing from hyper terminal.

I didn't bring the laptop home but I'll give it a try tomorrow with a shorter serial cable to see if I have more luck with it. What type of information should I get with hyper terminal?

Frank, it's good to know about the commands to send within the serial plugin.

For the 3805, it's a DB9 connector, not a stereo plug connector.

Thanks,

Simon

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:38 pm

htsource wrote: What type of information should I get with hyper terminal?

You would see the same info the appears in this MLServer shot.
1st 2 digits are the command remaining dig are the parameter
Once you get the cable this sorted out. You will see this info in HTerm when controling the reciever with IR remote. Once your got that the MLGenericSerial plug is a snap to set up. I am still mapping the commands & creating macros.

skanter

Postby skanter » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:41 pm

One thing I had to do was turn the power off and on, not just put the receiver in standby and back on.

-Scott

fnkpet
Expert
Expert

Postby fnkpet » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:00 pm

By the way I have Append CR/LF box checked in the plugin with my 3805 config.

Frank

htsource
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby htsource » Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:52 pm

Okay, I've found the problem is from the serial to CAT5 cable that I have. I don't think I have the pinout correct.

With a stock serial extension cable, I can now control the receiver and receive information from the receiver. However, it seems it's not that responsive though. If I issue a command, sometimes it's a hit and miss. Again, I probably don't have the right settings for HyperTerminal.

I'm very happy this is working. As soon as I get the Pioneer Elite 74 receiver, I'll put the Denon in the basement by the computer rack for whole house music.

I do want to make sure I can assign all internal amps for 3 zones, right? How easy to enable/disable various zones? Can I have the same source driving all zones?

Thanks and happy holidays everyone!

Simon

midi-guy

Postby midi-guy » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:01 pm

Simon,

The 3805 has seven amps, and allows you to assign the SB L/R amps to either Zone 2 or Zone 3.
So, it will allow 5.(1) amp output on zone 1 and 2 ch output on zone2 or 3.

I'm in the market to replace my 3803 because I need 3+ zones including speaker A/B.
Even the venerable 5805, with it's 10 amps will only allow 7.(1) amp output on zone 1, 2 ch output on zone2 and 1ch amp (mionoaural) output on Zone 3.

I've settled on the Yamaha HTR5990 or RXV2600 as they will allow stereo speaker output to Zone 2 and Zone3, additionally they have a built-in XM tuner and obiviously RS-232 control.

Andrew

HAObsessed

Postby HAObsessed » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:03 am

htsource wrote: However, it seems it's not that responsive though. If I issue a command, sometimes it's a hit and miss.
Simon

I am experiencing the same Simon. Incomging info is quick & accurate, when sending is does miss commands occasionally. I have yet to find a solution. Tried multiple cables with no change. I guess I will have to repeatedly issue a command until correct response is received. I have not gotten that far yet. Please keep us posted if you find a fix.
Larry

rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Postby rlindblad » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:46 am

midi-guy wrote:I've settled on the Yamaha HTR5990 or RXV2600 as they will allow stereo speaker output to Zone 2 and Zone3, additionally they have a built-in XM tuner and obiviously RS-232 control.

Andrew

And they are directly supported by the MLYamaha plugin! :D

Seriously, at some point in the future a plugin will probably be developed for the Denon, that should take care of your hit/miss problem.

Bob

HAObsessed

Postby HAObsessed » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:28 am

Seriously, at some point in the future a plugin will probably be developed for the Denon, that should take care of your hit/miss problem.
Bob

Greatly looking forward to a Denon plugin. :P
Larry

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:52 pm

Frantic hand waving for denon plugin from me too.... :D

Jesse

Return to “Denon”