Denon V4 App

donaldeweaver

Denon V4 App

Postby donaldeweaver » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:01 pm

I'm attempting to upgrade to the Denon V4 app. I have a 5805MkII and it is connecting through TCP/IP on the V4 app. The two main issues I'm having are
1) the app does not control the receivers Zone 4 at all, not even power.
2) the input source variable for Zone 2, av_1_zone2_input, does not show the correct information. When I send the command AV|1~Input~Zone2~CD, the variable changes to CD for a split second and then immediately switches to MVMAX 98.
3) Unable to Power on unit from standby

I also get a repeated error in the log upon startup. "SendCommand – Error at SendCommand at line #1216 – Object reference not set to an instance of an object. "

Thanks,
Don

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Denon V4 App

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:08 am

I will look at the driver tomorrow. Can you email me the Denon event log so I can see what the receiver is sending back to the driver?

donaldeweaver

Postby donaldeweaver » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:46 am

I sent the log file a on Sunday. Since then, I've changed the driver from using the network port to using the serial port. This is how I had it in v.3. I am now able to poweron from Standby. This power variables appear to be reporting properly. However, the other two issues remain.
1) When I switch a source on Zone2, the variable momentarily flashes the input name and then changes to MVMAX 98.
2) The V4 app does not accept any zone 4 command. I do use Zone 4 on the receiver. It is an audio only zone on the receiver and is used to play music out back.

I didn't notice any issues with zone 3.
Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks for your assistance,
Don

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Oronomus » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:38 pm

From the other Denon thread on older Denon models with a Network card:

Go to "Other - Network Standby" in menu - settings (may be different nomenclature in newer models): Set the network function on/off during standby:
• ON : Network is on during standby. Main unit will turn on and off with a network command.
• OFF : Suspend network function during standby.

Set to “ON” when using the web control function. NOTE - When “Other” – “Network Standby” is set to “ON”, it consumes more standby power.

donaldeweaver

Postby donaldeweaver » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:39 pm

Thanks. I've already checked the receivers settings. The system does go into standby when sending a poweroff command. There is no additional standby setting for Ip vs serial. For whatever reason, it won't poweron from standby using the network connection on the V4 Driver but it will using a comm connection. I think I've determined I'm not going to be able to move to all ip contols just yet. Therefore, I have other comm controlled devices and I'm fine with using the serial port to control this Denon receiver.

However, I do still need to be able to control Zone 4 and have the zone 2 source variable, av_1_zone2_input, show the correct input for things to be completely functional.

Thanks,
Don

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:18 pm

This is nothing new. I think that I had this same issue with my 4308CI as well. Periodically I need to power off the entire AV rack and reset everything including MLServer and HomeSeer.

It is now all automated....

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Oronomus » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:57 pm

There is no additional standby setting for Ip vs serial.

Try to turn the "Network Option" "Standby Mode - Power Saving" to "Off" instead of "On" and see if the Denon will turn on with an IP command:

Denon 5805.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

donaldeweaver

Postby donaldeweaver » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:02 pm

Really Krumpy! If you were having the same issue, would you care to please provide a little more input on how you resolved the problem. Telling me this is nothing new does NOT help. I know your an expert but that's like telling someone "it worked for me". I could really use your expert knowledge to help me resolve this.

Thanks Oronomus. I see what you are referring to. I changed the setting, rebooted mlserver and restarted the Denon. I was able to poweron the Denon from Standby, even poweroff and then back on.. However, it seems that's about all I can do now. None of the commands to poweron zone2 or 3 or change sources are working. I'm going to go back to the comm port for now. Will try this again on the weekend when I have more time.

This is still really not the main issue I need to resolve. Although it would be "nice" to use the network to send commands, I'm fine with using the com port if I have to. Using Zone 4 and having input variables that display properly for zone 2 are the real issues. If someone could address those issues, it would be helpful.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:13 am

I will make sure the driver gets updated for zone 4. I just have not had free time to get to it.

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:38 am

My point is that the issue is the Denon receiver and that it is an old problem which seems like it is still around in the newer receivers. Very annoying! If it truly is the Denon receiver, then not sure that Dave can do a whole lot about the issue. I believe that I ended up resorting to using serial versus TCP as it seemed more reliable.

Return to “Denon”