Denon receiver is not reconnecting to MLServer

rpalori

Denon receiver is not reconnecting to MLServer

Postby rpalori » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:14 pm

I was hoping this issue would be fixed by now. I have been waiting about 6 months. I have already made contact about this problem and was told it was on the list.

I have a customers with a Denon 3808ci. The receiver has a network connection that can be controlled via MLDenon plugin. It works fine after all the bugs were fixed and latest revision. But I am still having a problem when network drops out and receiver does not resync to MLServer. It would be nice if my customer did not have to restart server every time just to get MLServer to resync with Denon receiver.

Just wondering if this could be fixed our is it the Denon 3808ci. I would think its a problem with plugin since it works fine after reboot.

Ryan

rpalori

Re: Denon receiver is not reconnecting to MLServer

Postby rpalori » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:20 pm

Dave you wrote this July 8, 2009 on one of my other post under MLDenon.

" The plugin will have to be updated to add the disconnect checking. Watch for an update."

Just wondering if you have fixed this issue.

Thanks,
Ryan

akatar

Postby akatar » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:57 am

same problem here,
plugin works fine with tcp/ip until the receiver goes off/standby
connection is lost and wil not come back.

only a mlserver restart solves the problem

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:29 am

I'm looking into it. The plugin is not seeing the disconnect and then trying to reconnect.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:30 pm

Version 3.0.169 of the plugin has been released. This version adds a timer that will do connectivity checks every 5 seconds. If you receiver goes offline it should reconnect within 5 seconds of coming back online. Since I cannot test this here you'll have to let me know if this works as expected.

rpalori

Postby rpalori » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:55 pm

I will be testing this updated MLDenon plugin tomorrow. Thanks for adding the timer I will keep you up to date if it works or not. Is this 5 seconds timer adjustable or set in the code? Just wondering how much load this will put on MLServer?

Ryan

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:39 pm

Hard coded to 5 seconds and should have 0 impact on MLServer. It only does work when it has disconnected. But watch it and let me know.

akatar

Postby akatar » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:38 am

the latest plugin version .171 connects and reconnects ok.
only volume up/down commands are very slow. sometimes have to push the button 5 times for a volume change.
that a receiver change take a few seconds is not a problem for aux change to tuner, but volume change needs to be fast, without serious delay

jjjukebox
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby jjjukebox » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:20 am

My Dennon only steps in 0.5 increments with normal Volume Up/Dn. You might want to send volume increments of 5 or 6

Just a thought.
J.J. Jukebox

akatar

Postby akatar » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:30 am

still problems with connecting to denon receiver.

any thoughts?
i already sent an email but no response

denon.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:41 pm

Try version 3.0.173 of the plugin.

akatar

Postby akatar » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:10 pm

with .173 i can connect to the denon and can control some things
switch between tuner and cd etc works (i use original mldenon screen) can't control volume
but i miss a lot of variables?
mldenonvar.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kevind » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:45 am

rpalori wrote:I was hoping this issue would be fixed by now. I have been waiting about 6 months. I have already made contact about this problem and was told it was on the list.

I have a customers with a Denon 3808ci. The receiver has a network connection that can be controlled via MLDenon plugin. It works fine after all the bugs were fixed and latest revision. But I am still having a problem when network drops out and receiver does not resync to MLServer. It would be nice if my customer did not have to restart server every time just to get MLServer to resync with Denon receiver.

Just wondering if this could be fixed our is it the Denon 3808ci. I would think its a problem with plugin since it works fine after reboot.

Ryan

Hey Ryan

Interesting. I personally have a 3808ci that is connected and controlled via TCP and the MLDenon plugin. Running version 171. We sell tonnes of Denon Ci series but usually I use serial control. This time I wanted to test TCP as it's much "cleaner" and makes way more sense if it works well. I am not having the chronic "drop out" issues you are having. I have seen the occasional " "disconnected" message in the plugin event log but the plugin seems to be quite robust and pick it up again quickly. I do have a very solid network though: Cisco RV042 Router and Belkin 24 port rack switch and all critical servers/PCs/Denon/Tablets are on fixed IP.

How solid is the network you are on? If you are using cheap circuit city $50 dollar routers this could very well be a major part of the problem.

I have noticed that control of the Denon via TCP can sometimes be "slow" and some times temporarily unresponsive...such as hitting "mute" and it won't mute but it will volume up or down for example, or send the "mute" command and several seconds later the Denon responds.

That all being said....

I am NOT convinced these performance issues are MLServer related. I have no proof yet (working on it) but after a few months of using the TCP my gut is telling me that it's the DENON TCP that is somewhat "flaky". I deal with a lot of hardware technology and believe me I see very few pieces of gear that are absolutly rock solid. I'll repeat that...I see tonnes of gear that should be reliable but isn't. It's the nature of "tech". So if it's the Denon...this would not surprise me. Denon makes great product and is more reliable than a lot of the other junk out there but that does not mean it cannot fail and will "always work". I admit it....I am somewhat cynical after all the gear I've tossed in the garbage heap or sent back to mftg's as NFG over the years. Feel your pain...being a fellow integrator. we rely on tech working and we always take the brunt of the client frustrations. But....Cinemar get's 5stars for supporting us professionals. I will say they have the best and most responsive tech support of any company I deal with. Thanks Dave and Mario!!!!!!

PS: Dave thanks for making the updates for auto reconnects. Well written software can sometimes make up for flaky hardware to a certain degree. Auto reconnects and "error check tests" are in my opinion an absolute "must" for cinemar software.

rpalori

Postby rpalori » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:37 am

Kevind,

Thanks for your reply, but I must let you know I have been dealing with this disconnect problem for over a year. I have waited over a year for this problem to be fixed. I was using the latest MLDenon v3.0.151 then v3.0.163 I think last year until recently its been updated to fix disconnect issues v3.0.171. I have not had any issues after working with Dave remotely to fix minor bugs last year except disconnect. Thanks akatar for helping me to finally get the ball rolling again to get a update for this problem. I just recently updated to 3.0.171 then 3.0.173 last week and not had any complaints with this plugin. I will post if the reconnect timer code that Dave added to the plugin does not seem to work. So far so good, thanks Dave for finally getting it fixed I know you are busy with other things.

Also I can tell you that I have not had any issues with the serial connection of this plugin.

Ryan
"Is patiently waiting for Cinemar iPad control"

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:31 am

Version 3.0.176 of the MLDenon plugin resolves all known network connectivity issues.

Return to “Denon”