DVD to hard disk

Tell others how you're using DVDLobby
Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:19 pm

chobor, lets fast forward to today:

I to have visions of an HTPC and not a sony changer. wonder what todays thoughts are??

cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby cborod » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:59 pm

Probably still the changer, but who knows....."the times they are a changin'" (wow, 1960 what for Bob Dylan's hit?) Yes, I am a dino snore
ChrisB

wireless

Postby wireless » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:38 am

Another option is a powerfile firewire changer, either the Sony XL1B or the actual Powerfile. I've seen mention of an MLServer plugin to interface to DVDLobby for both of these changers. There are a couple of C200s on ebay now, one with a pretty low price but guaranteed working. Kind of the best and worst of both worlds. You have the ability to stream the DVDs to different pcs in the house and can use Theatertek as your player for best picture quality. With the two drive Powerfile you could have two different movies playing on different monitors. The worst part is DVD load times.

One correction, DVD native resolution is 480i not 480p, but because it is stored at 24 frames (film based not video) a progressive image can easily be reconstructed if your projector/scaler supports multiples of 24hz refresh rates. Otherwise your scaler/DVD player must have 3:2 pull down for the conversion to 60hz.

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:47 am

thanks wireless. Was my assumption incorrect in that if i had a dedicated HTPC it could be viewed from MANY different rooms each with a different movie?

I have MUCH to learn on video. LOL

AccessHA
Expert
Expert

Postby AccessHA » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:02 am

Ranger Home Automation wrote:thanks wireless. Was my assumption incorrect in that if i had a dedicated HTPC it could be viewed from MANY different rooms each with a different movie?

Hi Ranger,

What did you plan on installing in the various rooms to view your media? Another ML client? If so, then your assumption is correct. Typically, you would have a dedicated movie server that various ML clients throughout the home connect to.

There are other ways to skin this cat, the above method is just one of them.
Hell-bent on automating everything! I’m too lazy to do anything else.

www.accessHA.com
Access Home Automation
The ultimate Insteon resource on the web.

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:11 am

access, well, no, i didnt think i would have to have an ml client in each room. Here is the scenario i envisioned:

in the network room/closet sits the HTPC server
somehow that is all connected to a coax hub that distributes to all rooms
from there, each tv could tap into the server and watch what they wanted.
from any mlclient (say one upstairs, one downstairs) or a wireless handheld, a movie could be brought up on any tv.
many tv's could watch any movie at same time.

But, after thinking about it, each movie would need a client from which to run I suppose.

i foresee this scenario being a VERY common install on future projects. WHat i need to learn is what all needs to be in the server (cards, etc) to get that sound/video to each tv. I am hopeing I can simply plug that htpc into my coax distribution and off it goes. Im sure its more complicated than that, LOL.

wireless

Postby wireless » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:11 am

The only way I can think would be a media server, with a HTPC/Client for each TV for playback. Doesn't have to be a powerful machine, just have a good graphics card, P4 or equivalent, and enough RAM. What you envision would work but would be limited to one movie for all TVs. You could have mulitple centrally located HTPCs connected to a matrix switcher and all pulling movies off NAS.

Hard disk is the way to go if you are starting from scratch, but I can't see taking the time to rip 600+ movies. In addition a company can not load movies onto a HD for a customer unless you have a contract with the DVD CCA CSS licensing, such as Kaleidescape had and they even got sued by those same governing bodies. The new MLDMR plugin should make it easier for a customer to add movies themselves.

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:31 am

wireless, thanks for the beautiful info. bummer on the muliple htpc's as I figured since musiclobby can run mulitple songs to different locations that dvdlobby would as well. I guess its a hard ware issue.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:47 am

There's really no difference to the distribution model between MusicLobby and DVDLobby (general statement).

With music, the renderer is J River Media Center. This can run on one or several PCs. Each J River can have several "instances" or zones.

With movies, the renderer is TheaterTek, this can run on one or several PCs. Each TT PC and have several instances running at once (like in "mini Windows").

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:51 am

david, so i CAN have on htpc server and view different movies on several tv. GOOD, exactly waht i wanted to hear!

now, my theatertek trial is asking for a registration or it wont work. not sure what do to.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:01 pm

Video is much more hardware intensive to render than audio.
Not recommended to run more than one movie on one PC.
Possible, not recommended.
"miniwindows" are small movie instances. Small requires less processing so can run effectively on one PC.

If you just installed the MLTheaterTek plugin, you should have a 30 day trial. If you installed it over 30 days, then it needs permenent licenseing and Activation to that PC (MLServer primary PC). I provded the purchase link in a prior post.

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:08 pm

david, ok, got it on the movies/pc/

yes, i already got theatertek plug in trial. just downloaded. i can open the plug in but directions tell me to open theartertek. when i go to open it , it ask for registration and can go no farther. i did a search on wiki but didnt see anything about the trial vs registration.

please let me know if i need to do something else. maybe i just need to buy it.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:29 pm

Buy it, you'lll like it :)

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:39 pm

David, i undertand and I am sure I will like it. But what is the purpose of a trial for theatertek if it doesnt work as a trial?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:59 pm

Theatertek does work as a trial....so not sure what the issue is.

http://www.theatertek.com/Download/Thea ... %202.0.msi

Return to “How are you using DVDLobby?”