Component Video Switchers

Tell others how you're using DVDLobby
jlp-cinemar

Component Video Switchers

Postby jlp-cinemar » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:05 pm

This may be slightly off topic, but for those people who have multiple DVD changers with component ouput are you using any component video switchers?

I have briefly looked at Zektor and JVC models - just wondering what most people are using and what are their experiences

Thanks

John

sbuckler
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby sbuckler » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:32 pm

I have used the Zektor HDS-4 for a couple of years now with great results.

Stan

K-Wood
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby K-Wood » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:52 pm

FWIW, with the RS232 option, you can use ML to change the inputs on the Zektor switch.

blafarm
Expert
Expert

Postby blafarm » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:42 pm

I'm not using it - but Elan makes a nice CAV-type product that can be configured for composite-only, composite and Y/c -or- component switching. They also offer some very interesting multizone digital amps.

Not for me...but maybe interesting for you.

http://www.elanhomesystems.com/products ... es/s12.asp
http://www.elanhomesystems.com/products/amps/d1200.asp
http://www.elanhomesystems.com/products ... andard.asp

bwally
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby bwally » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:23 pm

i have the Zektor HDS4 as well and it works flawlessly. there is also good IR support for it.

although mine doesn't have any RS232 serial port (that must be an option i didn't purchase) it works great with ML using IR. if you go that route, i'm sure myself or someone else can share the config for it should you need it.

DVDaddict

Postby DVDaddict » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:45 pm

Good question,

i've been looking at the Zektor myself ... with the RS232 option. I've looked at a lot of units and this one seems to be the "best of breed". I have 5 DVD changers and want to use the component outputs on all of them and then on the other side of the Zektor wither use a scaler or the HOLO3Graph PCI card. Still debating that one. Anyone with intput on this would be greatly apprecited.

The Holo card is greatly reviewed and a lot more cost effective than a scaler. It has all the high end processing components of the scalers that i've looked at.
What doesn't kill us, run like hell

jlp-cinemar

Postby jlp-cinemar » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:40 am

Thanks for everyone's input on the Zektors - sounds like tghe way to go. One or two more questions - Since collections have a way of growing beyond oroignal expectations - So if you have more than 4 dvd changers you can use multiple Zektors? Any trouble controlling multiple Zektors? I imagine it complicates the command structure somewhat having to choose which Zektor to use. Is it best to use IR or RS232. Any affordable switches out there that will switch more than 4 component imputs?

thanks for the help

john

bwally
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby bwally » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:11 am

you can have multiple Zektors easily. just remember you will need an HD Video Source for each Zektor.

( :shock: i was just imagining the complexities of having an HD Video Source with a Zektor, attached to 4 more Zektors, each with 4 * 400 DVD jukeboxes :shock: )

DVDaddict

Postby DVDaddict » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:22 pm

Hi,

the Zektor can have 4 or 5 component inputs EACH (depending on if one gets the 4.2 or the 5.1 unit). I have planned to use the 5.1 Zektor with the RS-232 option. The command structure that i have planned will send a "switch to channel" to the Zektor at the same time it sends a "play" to the appropriate DVD changer. From what i've read i plan on trying to use as few IR as possible ... in spite of that each DVD changer has to have an IR control because, once again, the damned DVD menus aren't controlled in the changers by the RS232 control. So i plan on have the GC100-12 to issue the DVD menu controls.

I've looked at the Elan switch as well ... Sweet looking box. I'm waiting for some pricing information from them. I'll let you know what i find out.

itanic
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby itanic » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:16 pm

I'm using the Key Digital KD-MSW8x3 without any problems. Eight inputs for component, digital and/or analog sound with three outputs plus RS232 and IR control.

DVDaddict

Postby DVDaddict » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:50 pm

Yup,

great unit too ... for me it was the cost ... the Kektor is $500 ... but if i had that many inputs and of course the $$$ that unit would probably be my selection.

There are some really great choices out there ...

mediastorm
Developer
Developer

Postby mediastorm » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:16 pm

DVDaddict wrote:I've looked at the Elan switch as well ... Sweet looking box. I'm waiting for some pricing information from them. I'll let you know what i find out.

Make sure you are sitting down before you go over the Elan pricing. I'd hate for you to get hurt on the way to the floor. :lol:

DVDaddict

Postby DVDaddict » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:23 pm

ahhhhh i thought as much ... any device that looks that sexy is bound to know it and base its fee appropriately

Had to edit the first response i made ... somehow looked inappropriate :oops:

boykster

Postby boykster » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:46 pm

Inday has a nice IR controllable 4x1 switch....they even have an rs232 model now

Rich

DVDaddict

Postby DVDaddict » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:05 pm

Wow great improvement ... and a much better price ... BUT ... no audio ... so near yet so far ... but at that price maybe an audio switch isnt so expensive ... what's one more unit to control ???? <smile>

Return to “How are you using DVDLobby?”