movie loading scene

Tell others how you're using DVDLobby
bdee1
Intermediate
Intermediate

movie loading scene

Postby bdee1 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:16 am

I recently made some changes to my DVDLobby play command so that when a user chooses to play a movie, it loads my "loading.mls" scene. in my loading scene i have the backgroundFX pointing to a swf file of a old movie countdown which i found flashkit.com (similar to This one.

then for the sound to play in the scene options i chose one of the freebie intros that came with mainlobby.

set my play movie command so that it loads the loading scene plays the swf and the sound clip then flips my AV switcher to the DVD and loads the dvdloby_tv scene.

i am wondering though what others may have done that may be similar to this. does anyone have a really cool intro SWF that they would like to share?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:17 pm

I have a similar countdown swf that I have used.
Search for JRFuda's post for his excellent Intro swf he produced. I modified his for my theater though haven't implemented it yet.

I have been using Ron's preMovieManager (search here for how to post by me). This cues up movie trivia before the movis launches. It also launches Dolby intros and Previews via a script. Too bad Ron is specializing all next updates for Meedio. It has a couple small bugs that should be addressed but he advises he will only be updating his app for Meedio usage.

If the movie is sourced via the DVD changer, the HTPCs LCD screen advises that a movie is being loaded. for hard drived sourced movies, since they come on immediately - no need for the mention.

What I was next going to try to implement is a way to know when the movie was over. That would then cue up lights up, or a choice box of what to do next (more trivia? a game? another movie?). ZoomPlayer has an app that can advise what the current operating condition is of the player. But, there is coding that would be needed to intercept this messenging from Zoom to let MLServer or Homeseer know it's current state. Easy for Dan / Mario / Krumpy / Mediastorm - hard for me :(

bdee1
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby bdee1 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:37 pm

yeah i have seen the post by jrfuda - and it was a good start - the concept is great i just was looking for a different animation.

i have looked at premoviemanager before and the concept sounds really cool but i was never able to get it to work. i thought about using it to load a random trailer or some trivia before each movie but it just never worked for me.

it would be really cool to be able to tell when the movie was over but my system is a DVD changer based system - the only thing i have on the hard drive is the trailers. and i dont know how you could even go about detecting the end of a DVD changer movie.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:36 pm

Are you using a serial DVD changer? If so, does it report it's condition ie: Stop? One could set a flag of "MovieOn" when the movie is launched. Then, when the player state changes to Stop (at end of movie, or by a remote control user), that would change the flag of MovieOn to "off".

bdee1
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby bdee1 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:24 pm

no :cry: unfortunately i can only control it via IR.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:17 pm

smoothtlk wrote:What I was next going to try to implement is a way to know when the movie was over. That would then cue up lights up, or a choice box of what to do next (more trivia? a game? another movie?). ZoomPlayer has an app that can advise what the current operating condition is of the player. But, there is coding that would be needed to intercept this messenging from Zoom to let MLServer or Homeseer know it's current state. Easy for Dan / Mario / Krumpy / Mediastorm - hard for me :(

Any way to use the Zoom app to launch a command-line call back into MLS? What about with Girder as well?

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:53 am

I know that it's possible to launch an 'intro' using premanager on a PC-based system (as smooth is a big advocate of), however I wonder how it could be done with a changer (Sony DVP777ES, to be exact).

I'm probably going to get one in the next 6 weeks. and I'd like to be able to have an intro DVD play (either craft one myself using my animations and DVD burner, or buy one of the pre-made one which have become rather affordable - less than $30 for some!)

Here's the scenario:

- I use DVDLobby on a touchscreen PC to pick a movie.
- After a movie is chosen, the TV and receiver are changed to the proper input (already now how to do this)
- The intro DVD is then played (let's say it lasts 30 seconds)
- The selected movie is played

I suppose I can incorporate some pauses to allow the intro DVD to load an play (say send the play commands for the intro DVD, wait 60 seconds, then send the command for the selected DVD). This will likely introduce a lot of "dead space" into the sequence though.

Alternatively. I could store the intro footage (either created on or ripped to my HDD) on my server. When I select a movie, MLS/HS switches my TV and receiver to the proper inputs to display/play audio/video from the PC (I can use one of the software DVD players) while the intro is playing, the appropriate commands are sent to the 777. At the conclusion of a specific amount of time (determined through testing) the TV/Receiver inputs switch to accommodate the 777 (which is hopefully done loading the selected DVD), another command then terminates the software intro footage playback.

A third, less spectacular option, is to simply play the intro on the touchscreen, using one of my intro swf's in an MLS - but given the limited processor power of the Viewpad, this will probably not be impressive.

A fourth option I've considered (if I use one of the commercially available intro DVDs that contains trivia) is to have an extra button on my DVDLobby scene that launches the intro disc. The trivia and other stuff then plays while we pick a movie, get popcorn, etc. Then, once a movie is selected, the commands are sent to the 777 to play the appropriate disc... Perhaps this could be used in combination with one of the other techniques, above.

What do y'all think (besides I should just use an HTPC [smooth] ;) )

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:55 pm

John,

I would store the Intro footage on your computer then do the switching.
In the end, it would be the most seamless for the end user.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:55 pm

Noticing that it was in this thread, I thought it worth pointing out that the Sony 777 plugin does NOT report status on anything. It is NOT 2-way.

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:43 am

gregoryx wrote:...the Sony 777 plugin does NOT report status on anything. It is NOT 2-way.

I figured that I wouldn't really need to know the status of the 777 anyway, if I use the 'hybrid' PC/777 approach. I figure I'll tailor my PC-based intro footage's length to be long enough to allow the 777 to load the proper disc, and be at the disc's menu. I'll figure out an average time for most discs - some will be longer (which means I might still be looking at an FBI warning and/or trailer after the intro is over) and others will be shorter (which shouldn't matter, because it'll be waiting at the menu).

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:35 pm

True 'nuff. I've delayed switching my video and audio sources over for similar reasons. It's certainly "good enough".

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:07 am

Woo Hoo! I ordered my 777 yesterday (much sooner than planned) thanks to the generosity of my lovely wife :)

Now it's time to get working on my intro, so that it'll be ready when the player arrives!

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:31 pm

Where'd you get it? I'm ready to order another.

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:21 am

I got it from ecost.com. It was a "shopping cart" special. Price changed to $535.99 after you add it to your shopping cart. They were also having a free shipping special (UPS ground). There was a $5.39 handling fee, so my total was $541.38 - cheaper than other places I looked once you factored in shipping. ecost also occasionally has reconditioned units for $489 - but they've been out for the past few weeks a I wasn't sure if I wanted a recon'd one (although I have a reconditioned Yamaha DSP-AX1 that retailed for $2000 and paid $490 for and it works perfectly).

Ecost also had pretty decent customer reviews, with only a few negatives on items listed as "in stock" not being in stock and shipping several weeks later.

They had the 777 listed as "ships today" and it did. I ordered it on Thursday, and by Friday morning had UPS tracking number that showed it was well on its way. i expect it Monday or Tuesday!

I just checked and they still have it on special here: http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/sho ... pno=417704

Oooh, and there's an 'open box' special for $429 here: http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/sho ... pno=639032

I just checked my UPS tracking again, and it's already in the state, so I really think I'll haveit Monday.

jlp-cinemar

Postby jlp-cinemar » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:21 pm

I was "lucky" enough to get the open box special. :( Boy was it special - no output from the Cr connector for the component connections - made the girl in fifth element have green/yellow hair instead of red.

Had to contact eCost and then they had me talk to Sony to get a case number. No fix so I am in the middle of returning it to eCost and getting a replacement unit. Hope this process goes smoothly

john

Return to “How are you using DVDLobby?”