Best method to store DVD on HD?

Tell others how you're using DVDLobby
Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

Best method to store DVD on HD?

Postby Wysocki » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:43 pm

I'm just getting to the point where I now want to get control of my DVDs on the HTPC but I'm not sure of the best approach. I'd like to have them available on the hard drive for DVDlobby to play them through TheaterTek and then I can take the originals up to my weekend cabin for viewing when I'm there.

I have a bunch of software (InstantCopy, DVDshrink, AnyDVD, DVDdecrypter, Nero, etc.) but I'm not sure what's the best/easiest approach to use. I want to keep most of the DVD in the copy, except for foreign languages & subtitles. And I wouldn't mind saving space by compressing a little as long as it's not discernable. But I'd also like the ability to re-burn a DVD from the HD in case I lose or ruin the original. What approaches would anyone suggest here?

midi-guy

Postby midi-guy » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:43 pm

DVDshrink 3.x.
Nothing else even comes close in terms of ease of use, output/authoring flexibility.
Add Nero for integrated DVD burning.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:23 pm

DVDShrink (second vote)

Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Wysocki » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:06 pm

I'm checking out DVDshrink but I see a couple of problems:

1. It won't let me eliminate some of the other languages and special features without losing all the menus too (I'd like to at least have the Chapters menu available). Anyway to keep the menus?

2. If I copy to the hard disk Uncompressed, I assume I'll use Nero to burn to a DVD if needed. DVDshrink warns me that I won't be able to burn a DVD from the files. Is there any way to compress and burn from the uncompressed hard drive image?

3. If I DO compress to the hard drive, what's a safe threshold without noticeable loss of PQ?

midi-guy

Postby midi-guy » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:45 pm

Wysocki wrote:I'm checking out DVDshrink but I see a couple of problems:

1. It won't let me eliminate some of the other languages and special features without losing all the menus too (I'd like to at least have the Chapters menu available). Anyway to keep the menus?

Not true.
You can choose which elements of the DVD you want.
Menus, Extras, Audio tracks and sub-titles can all be selectively removed.
2. If I copy to the hard disk Uncompressed, I assume I'll use Nero to burn to a DVD if needed.

Yes.
DVDshrink warns me that I won't be able to burn a DVD from the files. Is there any way to compress and burn from the uncompressed hard drive image?

???..err, No.
DVD movies are mostly DVD(~9 Gig) and DVD-/+ media are only available in DVD5(~ 4.5 Gig) for now.
You can't fit most movies onto DVD5 as they are too big.
3. If I DO compress to the hard drive, what's a safe threshold without noticeable loss of PQ?

YMMV.
It really depends on the movie. DVD's are already compressed (Mpeg) on the DVD disc.
As you add more compression, you'll loose more detail and color info.
I've noticed that the more action (>image diff, frame to frame) in a movie, the worse it looks with compression.

However, you can compress some movies to 50% of the original size and see little difference.
In the rare occasion that I need to compress, I usually compress to ~75%.

Start here DVDShrink Guides

Good luck.

Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Wysocki » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:50 pm

You can choose which elements of the DVD you want.
Menus, Extras, Audio tracks and sub-titles can all be selectively removed

Midi-Guy: The DVDshrink help site you refer to says:
"If you prefer to keep only parts of the disc and discarding parts (or all) of the extras, select Re-author instead (technically, when re-authoring you create a new disc from scratch and add whatever you like from the original disc to it). Re-author allows you to create your own DVD by putting only content that you really want on a DVD. It does not allow you to keep the menus though."

If I'm not in Re-author mode, I don't see how I can eliminate anything other than sound or subtitles. All the menus and extras don't have a checkbox on them and the best I can do to reduce them is to set the sample rate to "still pictures". Am I missing something?

Also, I'm a little disappointed that all of my DVD burns won't play on my new Apex combination TV/DVD player (cheapo from Costco). They work fine in my htpc but I was planning on taking the player up to my cabin and it doesn't like my copies. What should I look for in the specs of a player to tell if it will play my discs?[/quote]

Lowpro

Postby Lowpro » Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:46 am

I have been using DVD Shrink since the beginning, so I thought I would chime in with a few notes if I may.

In full-disc mode it is true that you can not remove video of any kind. The most that you can do it set unwanted video to "still pictures" and remove the sound and subtitles for it. The benifit of full-disc mode however is that you retain working menus.

For instance, I backed up IGE AGE just last night. It has both a widescreen and a fullscreen version on the disc. Since the menu's were so cool I decided to do a full-disc encode instead of re-authoring the main movie title only like I usually do. All I did was change the fullscreen movie to still pictures in addition to removing the audio and subtitles. I also removed all audio and subtitles for the rest of the disc minus the main english tracks of course. That brought my target backup size under the limit of what will fit on a DVD+R. This was with no compression as well. So now we've got a perfect backup of the movie with menus fully in tact, minus the fullscreen version. Well it's still there, but watching a herky jerky slideshow with no sound or subtitles could make you sick after 30 minutes or so. :-)

In re-author mode DVD Shrink will not retain functional menus. I use this mode 99% of the time. I just grab the main movie file and uncheck all but the primary English track. I like being able to get right to it. Pop the disc in, hit play, and the opening intro starts immediately ... on with the show!

-Lowpro

f11

Postby f11 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:34 pm

How do you grab just the Trailers or just the FBI Warning video or whatever from the VOB files? In MS MP the movie comes up as Titles and Chapters, which is easy enough to play one by one, but if I want to reference just the Trailer bits when all I can see are VOB files, how do I reference them in DVDLobby setup?
Rod

zed-lepplin

Postby zed-lepplin » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:01 pm

OK I have been authoring DVD's for a while also and I wanted to jump in here and offer this...

Why couldn't you just burn the DVD to your hard disk as an ISO and then use d-tools to mount the image for replay through TT. Am I way off in left feild here?

It seems if you just make a back up copy of the original DVD as an ISO, you would be able to still hang on to the original and take with you as needed.

Would this work?

Zed

Return to “How are you using DVDLobby?”