Novel default Play Movie/Trailer Commands

Tell others how you're using DVDLobby
jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Novel default Play Movie/Trailer Commands

Postby jrfuda » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:02 am

Right now I'm using DVDLobby as a Movie picker/browser, but have neither a DVD Changer nor a ripped-to-disk setup (yet, not sure which way Ill go). I do have a handful of trailers that I was able to download though and in the short term, I may rip some some trailers from DVDs to my limited (about 80G) hard drive space I have available.

So in the meantime, I've come up with two novel default Play Movie / Play Trailer MLServer commands. Thought it would be a good idea to post 'em here just to give some of the new folks an idea of how to do it.

I have HomeSeer, so my commands are HomeSeer-centric.

Here's my default Play Movie Command:

Code: Select all

MLServeCmd.Macro|MLHomeSeer|voice:speak:The movie selected is offline, please insert the disk while I switch the inputs!MLPause|6!MLHomeSeer|ir:device:[1]TV_Panasonic,Channel_Up,[2]DVD_Panasonic,Play,[1]TV_Panasonic,TV/Video,[4]Receiver_Panasonic,6_Channel_In,[1]TV_Panasonic,TV/Video

With this command HomeSeer announces "The movie selected is offline, please insert the disk while I switch the inputs!" The MLPause command counts to 6 (which is through about a second after HomeSeer finishes speaking) and then switches the TV inputs, turns on the receiver and DVD player. All that's left is to insert the movie!

I have a handful of movies still on VHS, I can give them custom commands that sets up the inputs for the VCR and says insert tape instead of disc.

Here's my default Play trailer Command:

Code: Select all

MLServeCmd.MLHomeSeer|voice:speak:I'm sorry, the preview for this movie is not available

OK, that's pretty basic, just HomeSeer saying "I'm sorry, the preview for this movie is not available" But I don't need to switch the inputs, because folks may want to browse some more (I'm working off a TV, not a touchscreen).

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:42 pm

I'm doing something a little similar with the previews: if there isn't one, I open a bitmap in Zoom on the projector that says "there is no preview for the movie you selected". FWIW...

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:48 pm

gregoryx, that's a good idea. I may get ZoomPlayer this week, after reading all the encouraging post in this forum. Good price too!

I remember reading a thread where someone was getting DVDLobby to display a message box for a few seconds to tell you to "Get up off your butt and put the movie in," or something to that effect. I searched for it but couldn't find it.

I know with DVDLobby "classic" you can have a message box pop-up with a message you specify in the each movie's entry in dvd.mdb (or via the MLServer plugin) but I can't get those boxes to show up in the DVDLobby TV/16:9 version.

For non-HomeSeer folks, I geuss you could use Tech-talker sounds to get DVDLobby to say what you want (is the right combo available).

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:01 pm

Tell me more about this pop up box! What is that command?

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:18 pm

I want to know more too, I think is was one of the ten million threads that smooth replied to. I could have imagined it too? Who knows!

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:57 pm

Does this look familiar?

MLServeCmd.MLCmd|Msg~server1~Message~This movie is only available on disc...you're going to have to get up, find the disc, put it into the DVD drive, and press OK. Or hit cancel and pick a movie more suitable for someone of your considerable sloth

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:05 pm

Smooth comes trhough again!

Thanks, I don't know why I was having so much trouble finding that by searching!

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:42 am

Sweet! Thanks, smooth. I searched for "lazy AND movie" and a few variants. I would have never thought of "sloth".

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:19 am

Any way to send the commands just to the client that clicked the "preview" button? The only thing I can think of is to make each client have its own button and put in a variable. That's flat out of the question with seven clients. Is there a "SOURCECLIENT" variable similar to "ANY"?

Also, my message seems to be a single line in a very short window. Any way to make it take a longer message (such as the original one suggested) and display it?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:49 am

Actually, the way that I implemented it - because of the one line problem - was not to use MSG. I just hard coded a .mls scene with the standard message in a text box and switch to that mls scene, pause, then switch back.

For the 7 clients, there would need to be additional support for nested conditionals. I don't believe that conditionals work beyond if, then, else. Another job for Dan!

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:12 pm

I'm not crazy about switching scenes, as switching back to DVD Lobby puts it back at the initial display, not where the user was.

I think the best solution is a "SOURCECLIENT" variable. Whaddaya say, Dan? Can we get that in the next MLS?

Return to “How are you using DVDLobby?”