Retrieve Playlists via MLServer

View and post comments regarding MusicLobby 3 product here.
Funboy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Retrieve Playlists via MLServer

Postby Funboy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:50 pm

I'm developing a web interface for controlling my music. I've got it working where I can select a zone, and then play, stop, pause, ffwd or rwd the music in that zone. I've even got the cover art being displayed.

What I now need is the ability to select a playlist and play it.

The first problem...how do I get a list of all playlists that are in my MediaCenter thru MLServer? Is there a command I can use? Can I write a script or something that fetches it and loads it into a variable that I can then parse?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
- Funboy

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:23 am

Maybe not what you want, but have you also looked at the direct control available via web straight to JRMC? Playlists are there, as well as controls and such. It is typically faster than asking ML to control it, from my experience.

Funboy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Funboy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:07 pm

I have looked at it, but I couldn't find ZONE support (ie. ability to change zones), and the look of it is quite plain (actually quite ugly).

I notice there is magical styles.css that's included in the HTML but I couldn't find the actual file and have no idea where to create it.

But the Zone control is necessary. With MLServer this is easy to do.
- Funboy

Funboy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Funboy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:25 pm

Did some searching around on the JRiver forum and found a very slick web interface for J River: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.p ... =43402.150

As nice as the interface is, it does not allow me to control zones.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a web interface method that supports zones and playlists.
- Funboy

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:37 pm

I wouldn't suggest using the native web interface as the UI; I was suggesting that your back-end commands could be sent directly to JRMC's web server for control versus the two-layer method.

I use Girder for a lot of multi-zone and other commands that JRMC nor ML can handle. I think the command structure it uses reflects the correct commands for the direct web interface if that's preferable to you.

All that said, there's certainly a lot of simplicity in going through ML - especially if you're sending command-maps rather than direct commands, as you can change one thing and change it for all instances (web, ML, or others).

Funboy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Funboy » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:52 am

Well I got "something" working and it meets my customers needs - for now. It's actually a fairly simple and creative solution.

Thought I'd share with you how it all works.

I'm using both the MLServer web interface and the JRiver Media Center interface. I created a web page based on frames. The very top frame is points to the MLServer and lists the Zones of Media Center. Clicking a zone launches a MLServer Macro that uses MLWindowFunctions to set the Zone in MediaCenter (found a way to assign a keyboard shortcut to each zone).
The middle frame contains HTML from JRiver. The bottom frame contains controls that allow me to start, stop the music. All thru JRiver.

I've got this up and running on a Nokia N800 and it works very, very well.

I'm attaching a photo of the actual screen on the N800.

If anyone is interested in knowing more details, don't hesitate to ask.

Gregoryx, at some point I may drop the JRiver Web interface all together and use MLServer for much of everything - I'd use back end commands to retrieve the playlists (which is the only thing MLServer is missing).

Cinemar folks...if you could add in the ability to retrieve PlayLists via MusicLobby/MLServer web interface I'd be extremely appreciative.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Funboy

kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kevind » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:58 am

Funboy,

Are you willing to share this cool webpage file? I'd love to try it out. Sometimes a web based interface is the most practical such as Wi-Fi remote.

Return to “MusicLobby 3”