Is Anyone able to use the internet radio through musiclobby.

View and post comments regarding MusicLobby 3 product here.
THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

Is Anyone able to use the internet radio through musiclobby.

Postby THARTIGH » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:29 pm

When I press options, internet radio, then select a station (moves to playing now) it does not play. I get an error in mc12 saying

"media center encountered errors whils trying to play the last several files. Please make sure that the path in your media library points to the right location"

If I select the station from mc12 it works fine.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:36 pm

I'm pretty sure that "internet radio" was something not related to JRMC's internet radio, if I recall correctly. By my recollection, it was a bunch of URLs that one had to enter into the JRMC / Music Lobby plugin that populated from there. This was from "back in the day" when Music Lobby worked directly with JRMC with no interaction with MLServer ('cause there was no such thing originally).

I don't think it's worked for a while.

I haven't tried... but maybe one could set up a playlist with the links in it and they'd work?

THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

Postby THARTIGH » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:38 am

Yeah It looks like it is broke. You would think cinemar would take a few weeks off making new stuff and get things in musiclobby to work. This looks like it has been a problem for a couple years now.

I had hoped the playlist thing would work, but all of the local stations here can not be controlled (meaning the stop & play button) with jriver. It requires using the media player controls. Since it is not running through jriver it does not show up in the now playing list. Which means you cant put it in a playlist.

It would be nice if you could just send a command to jriver to play a specified web media link.

Thanks for the reply!

Todd

dmcvie

Postby dmcvie » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:29 pm

I agree, I'd love to have this feature working as advetised. Although, I think it may be more of a JRiver Media issue than a ML issue?

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:31 pm

It's been a year or more... so it ain't a new thing... nor one that seems to cause people enough concern, I guess. :?

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:01 pm

Okay... got a way you can do it (for now): save the internet radio station as a .PLS then "import playlist" in JRMC. That is "openable" in Music Lobby through Playlists... which suck.

But it works.

Edit: and I have a better way coming... but it uses the above, so start with that. 8)

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:40 pm

So... let's make it better.

1. Import all the internet radio you want as playlists. This should put them into a folder called "Imported Playlists" in JRMC by default.

2. Move all your imported playlists into a playlist folder called Internet Radio. By default, they'll come into a folder called "Imported Playlists"; I'd suggest you create a different one and move them to it - name it "Internet Radio" if you like.

3. Name the streams in some way you like that's meaningful to you (since they probably say "HTTP Stream" by default). Note that this is not the playlist name, but the "Name" category in the list. If you don't rename it, it'll just show in Music Lobby as "HTTP Stream"... and we don't want that. This is the name that will show in the "Now Playing" right side of Music Lobby when you are actually playing the stream.

4. Give each stream cover art, if you like. I was surprised this worked. It's much cooler than the old Internet Radio in that sense.

To explain the next step: There's an interesting thing we'll run into when we try to make playlists (as these are) show in a Music Lobby view: their "Name" or "Artist" fields won't work like they do in the left pane of Music Lobby (the "view scheme" pane, if you will). So... we need to use a field that DOES work at the top of our view scheme. File name PATH works... which is fine for my first test case ("http://www.kwire.org:8907/"), but could be pretty rough if it's longer. The NOTES field works. Go figure. Let's use it.

5. Edit the "Notes" field of each playlist to also have the NAME you want in it. This is the name that will ultimately show in the "selection" list on the left side of Music Lobby. If you don't see how to do this, the easiest way is to add the "Notes" field to the visible columns, which will also make it show in the "tags" window. You can edit it then by clicking on it in the tags window or by F2 in the field in the list.

Now let's make it all work in Music Lobby:

6. Create a new view scheme up in the Audio Schemes area UNDER the category you use as your Music Lobby base scheme. By default, this is simply the top level of "Audio" in the folder stream. If you're using my JRMC / Music Lobby setup, this would be UNDER the scheme called "Music Lobby".

7. In the view scheme, the only view item is "Notes". Name the scheme as you like ("Internet Radio" works for me).

8. In the view scheme editor, "Pick Files to Show / Edit Included Files" will allow you to do a "rule" for "Playlists" then "is any" then on the pull-down select the PLAYLIST FOLDER you made (not the playlists). This will ensure that whenever you add a playlist to that folder, it will show in this view scheme from Music Lobby.

That should do it.

USE IT: In Music Lobby, hit the + for Library, scroll the yellow buttons on the top to "Internet Radio" (or whatever you called the view scheme) and hit the yellow button. You should see the list of playlists in the folder based on their NOTES field in the left list. If you "play" one of them, you should see the "NAME" you gave the playlist (in JRMC, not the filename) on the right and you should see the cover art you associated with it.

ADVANCED:

Note that you can also "group" internet radio stations with this method by using a different view scheme in JRMC; but you are still limited by what fields will show in a view scheme IN MUSIC LOBBY (which you'll need to test if you want to go this way).

For example, I found I could use "Keywords" as a visible field. This allows me to put "KPFK" as the keyword and "KPFK Stereo" and "KPFK Mono" as the notes and get two levels of depth in the view scheme in JRMC and Music Lobby.

SUPER ADVANCED:

This method may work for getting other non-music stuff into a Music Lobby view scheme as well. So for those trying to use JRMC for Podcasts or Video, I suspect there's a way to do it with this basic method. I'm going to try podcasts next.

Edit: SWEET! I have podcasts working now. They're even easier than streaming radio. 8)

Edit: even easier than the above (though not as cool) for internet radio, just make a view scheme that uses the filter "Web Media URL is not empty" and add your internet radio preferences to JRMC Web Media by clicking on it and selecting "Add Stream to Web Media". DONE. No cover art, but easy. Rename the stream NAME and it'll work well enough. Yes, you CAN add cover art as well. 8)

THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

Postby THARTIGH » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:20 pm

I will have to give this a whirl!

Thanks for your help Greg! I must say, over the years you have become a major power user of jrivers!

Much appreciated!

Todd

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:00 pm

TCassio
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby TCassio » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:42 am

You want internet radio, that will cost you another $29.99. :lol:

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:24 am

... or do JUST THE LAST PARAGRAPH of my above post. No charge... or send beer. 8)

ojones

internet radio works

Postby ojones » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:13 pm

Complete newbie here. all settings are default. I selected three internet stations in j river mediacenter12 some time ago. today when I opened internet radio it displayed the stations and played them. might be beginner's luck. still, I'm posting so you'll try again....

Return to “MusicLobby 3”