How to diagnose MLServer performance issue?

Post here issues and solutions that relate to MainLobby Server 3
simonmason
Expert
Expert

Re: How to diagnose MLServer performance issue?

Postby simonmason » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:29 pm

A number of my active plugins were logging, including MusicLobby - so I turned this off. Let's hope that combination of the things I have done will solve my problem. Is there anyway to log the load on MLServer so I can see what it is doing over time?
Simon D. S. Mason

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:10 pm

I want to reopen this thread as I am having similar issues again. You will see from the attached screen shot the load on the server. The blue bar is constant remains constant, yet at the time I was taking this screen shot nothing was happening in the log despite being on the verbose setting. I have checked all plugins and logging is off in all of them. Since originally posting I have increased the RAM on the machine to 4 GB. It is running a Gigabyte NIC card and is plugged directly into a Gigabyte switch. I click on the stop server button and the blue load bar stays the same. Nothing resolves this other than closing MLServer and then restarting it. Any help would be appreciated? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simon D. S. Mason

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:40 pm

Notice the last line posted. A Processing (3) with a blank entry. That's not right. My guess is that there is a macro running with bad syntax or some illegal char in it. With the queue being stuck like that (Half a bar represents about 50 commands waiting in the queue) something is surely wrong. However I cannot tell what is really going on by just seeing the screen shot. I would suggest verbose logging to a file and then email me the event log for review. Also it looks like there are a lot on MLServeCmd.Macro| commands that are really not macros but single commands. Not really an issue but it does add to the processing overhead because the server ends up looping when it doesn't have to. Send me the logs and I'll have a better idea what is happening.

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:53 pm

Thanks, I sent you a PM.
Simon D. S. Mason

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:01 pm

Let me know if you got the PM. The messages appears to be stuck in my outbox and are not moving to sent messages. Thanks.
Simon D. S. Mason

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:23 am

got it. PM messages will stay in your outbox until the person reads them.

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:21 pm

Dave,

let me know if you are getting my emails with log files attached? Some of them are pretty big so they could have been rejected (even zipped). I would like to get to the bottom of this issue - it is now crashing on a daily basis. Thanks.
Simon D. S. Mason

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:28 pm

Logs are not getting to me. I just sent you an email. I will have to remote in while it is dead to see what is going on.

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:56 am

I just found a couple of automation rules with two square boxes at the end when I look at them in the pop-up. I cleaned this up - perhaps a CR/LF? I don't know if this is relevant?

Also, I noticed that the blank processing line always occurred after a specific set of automation rules. These rules were running every 5 seconds - triggered by a timer. I set this timer to run once and I have no more blank lines in my log. I am looking at the rules that this triggered and cannot see anything wrong - but I may try deleting them and recreating them.

I haven't crashed in over 24 hours - fingers crossed.
Simon D. S. Mason

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:10 am

As luck would have it - 10 minutes after posting this message my server started to experience the load issue and has now started to become unresponsive to clients. It then freed up and then went into a nose dive again.

Dave, if you have time to look today just let me know - otherwise I will reboot.

I figured out why the emails are not all getting through. I just got a rejection from one that I sent last week - failed MTA. I am sending through Verizon so apparently your Spam checking doesn't like them!
Simon D. S. Mason

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:02 pm

I believe I have made a breakthrough regarding this issue. It appears that listening to streams is causing the problem. I have just about everything disabled - automation rules, etc. Start the stream - it may be an hour, or several hours - MusicLobby will become unresponsive.

It does appear to be related to interruptions in the stream - the audio drops out and then continues. I have no idea what is going on here but I do know that if I run the system, play MP3's continuously, everything works fine and I have no issues with MusicLobby?
Simon D. S. Mason

Return to “MLServer 3”