Check to See If Air Conditioner is On

Post here issues and solutions that relate to MainLobby Server 3
MurrayW
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Check to See If Air Conditioner is On

Postby MurrayW » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:26 pm

I posted this in the AVS forum, but this is probably a better place for it since I want to use ML to sense the temperature, see if the Air Conditioner power is on and send the power toggle IR signal to the Air Conditioner if it is off.

I have a lot of my electronic equipment (DVR's, matrix switchers, amps, computer, and more) in a closet in my garage that is not air conditioned. Living in Texas the garage gets pretty warm. I have a Sharp 10,000 BTU portable air conditioner in the equipment closet that keeps things at a pretty reasonable temperature. This air conditioner can be controlled with an IR remote. It cycles on and off when it goes above or below its set point.

The problem that I have is that if we have a power glitch where the power shuts off for a second, the air conditioner stops running. Last week we had a storm during the middle of the day where we lost power and when I got home it was really hot in there. Worse yet, last year we were on vacation for about 1 week and when we came home the air conditioner was not working and was probably off for several days.

I know that I could hook it up to a UPS, but with it's load, it would require a fairly large UPS. I would like to be able to sense the temperature in the closet and if it was above say 85F, have my computer that is in the closet that is running MLServer send an IR signal to the air conditioner to power it on if the air conditioner is NOT already powered on. It is important to know the power state of the Air Conditioner so I don't send the power toggle to it if it is already on.

I have no problem attaching an IR emitter to the air conditioner's IR window and sending the power toggle (there is no discrete power on and off) signal via my USB-UIRT that is attached to the computer. This is what I think I need to complete this task.

1. Attach a current sensor to the air conditioner (or have some other method to determine if it is powered on or not)
2. Get a temperature sensor that I can attach to my computer and get the readings into MLServer.

The parts I don't know how to do is to get the reading from the current sensor to my computer so it knows whether the power is on or off and how to read the temperature into an MLServer variable or some other way for ML to read it.

So any help any one can offer would be greatly appreciated...or if I am overlooking another simpler solution, please let me know.

If any of the above gets too complicated to implement, I might just resort to sending power toggles on a periodic basis. I think that the AC runs about 75% of the time (I can try to monitor it to get a better idea) so I could send a power toggle at 45 minutes past and on the hour every hour and make sure that it is on for the 45 minute period and off for the 15 minute period. The downside to this is that if an IR signal is missed once, then it will be off for 45 minutes and on for 15 minutes. So in that case, I would be safer making the power toggles happen every 30 minutes. This is why basing things on a temperature is so much better than on time.

thanks,
Murray

MurrayW

Re: Check to See If Air Conditioner is On

Postby MurrayW » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:39 pm

Wow, this is rather embarrassing. :oops: It seems that I asked a similar question about 3 years ago.
http://forum.cinemaronline.com/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=11251&hilit=ML1WirePro

90CE put together some parts for me to use with the ML1WirePro. Is the ML1WirePro plugin still alive and available? If not, any other ideas on how to get 1Wire temperature data into MLServer?

This is what I have (if I can find it in my garage!)
3 - 1Wire Temperature Sensor (25 ft)
1 - USB to 1Wire Adapter
1 - 1Wire Switch (25 ft)
1 - Four Port 1Wire Hub

What I planned to do and will now try to do, is to use 2 temperature sensors. One at the outlet where the AC blows cool air and one at another location in the equipment closet that will be a good indicator of the room temperature (away from the where the cool air blows directly).

1. I'll find out what the max temperature in the closet is when the AC is running -- let's say it is 85F.
2. Also find out what the temperature is at the outlet of the AC -- let's say it is 55F.
3. Check each of these temperatures every 15 minutes or so.
4. If temperature 1 is > 85F and temperature 2 is > 65F, the AC must be turned off. Send the power toggle command.

So my biggest barrier now (other than finding my parts) is figuring out how to get these temperature readings into MLServer so I can take the appropriate action.

Thanks for any help or suggestions on how to handle this.

After I get the basics down, maybe I will try to capture all these readings into MLDataBase and use them to determine how much time the AC is on, how well it is cooling and perhaps use these to help determine filter cleans and drainage times. But that is for later -- now I just want to make sure the AC is on when it should be on.

Murray

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:50 pm

Murray;
I previously did some 1 wire stuff via my Ocelot which was connected to MLS. THat combination worked for years until I implemented my HAI panel. I do not know the status of the ADI Ocelot driver that I previously had used. I do not think it has been touched for years. The Ocelot and 1 wire technoligy did play very well together.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:15 am

DaveB wrote:Murray;
I previously did some 1 wire stuff via my Ocelot which was connected to MLS. THat combination worked for years until I implemented my HAI panel. I do not know the status of the ADI Ocelot driver that I previously had used. I do not think it has been touched for years. The Ocelot and 1 wire technoligy did play very well together.
I would rather not buy more hardware to make this work if possible, which is why I would rather try the ML1WirePro plugin that used to exist with the kit that 90CE put together for me. Mario or Dave P...I cannot find the ML1WirePro plugin in the installer. Is there an old (even if it is no longer supported) version around somewhere? Or is there a better way of getting the readings of 2 separate temperature sensors into an MLServer variable without spending a lot on hardware?

Dave B, if I do need to get an Ocelot, how does the 1Wire hook-up work? Can you have multiple 1Wire devices per Ocelot or do you need one Ocelot per device? Looking at the manual, it appears to have only 1 RJ11 port. Can you use some type of hub if you have multiple 1Wire devices to connect? Also, if you could explain briefly how you got the temperature data into ML that would be helpful. Do you set up a polling frequency in the Ocelot plugin and it creates MLServer variables?

thanks,
Murray

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:01 am

I do have the ML1WirePro source code and an old version of the dll. Tracy used some controls in the plugin that I do not have so I cannot recompile the plugin without tracking down the external controls and buying them. I'm not sure if this plugin was ever tested but if you wanted to experiment I could send you the dll and database to see if it works.

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:22 am

CinemarDave wrote:I do have the ML1WirePro source code and an old version of the dll. Tracy used some controls in the plugin that I do not have so I cannot recompile the plugin without tracking down the external controls and buying them. I'm not sure if this plugin was ever tested but if you wanted to experiment I could send you the dll and database to see if it works.
Dave, If you had the external controls, would you want to recompile the plugin? I would be happy to send you what I have for testing if this is something that you want to do in order to make a more robust plugin that Cinemar could sell and support. Otherwise, I can take a crack at trying to make the old plugin and database work.

Do you think that this is the best way to go about what I am trying to do? I don't have the need or want to spend the money on an ELK or HAI system.

thanks,
Murray

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:27 am

Murray if you have some i Wire sensors on hand and want to lend them to me for a few weeks I'll get the plugin running. I think this would be a good solution for you and a nice addition to our product line.

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:51 am

CinemarDave wrote:Murray if you have some i Wire sensors on hand and want to lend them to me for a few weeks I'll get the plugin running. I think this would be a good solution for you and a nice addition to our product line.
Dave, that was the answer that I was hoping for! =D>

I will send you everything that Tracy sold me:
3 - 1Wire Temperature Sensor (25 ft)
1 - USB to 1Wire Adapter
1 - 1Wire Switch (25 ft) (to be used for a garage door open/close sensor)
1 - Four Port 1Wire Hub

PM me your address and I will mail them out to you.

thanks,
Murray

PaulHerron

Postby PaulHerron » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:55 am

Dave & Murray,

Did anything happen with this? Is it even possible to support 1-Wire in ML4? I'd like to construct a series of 1-Wire temperature and humidity sensors to measure conditions throughout a house (individual rooms, bathrooms, kitchen) and turn on and off exhaust fans, HVAC systems; open and close operable skylights and windows blinds based upon the existing conditions.

1-Wire sensors seem like a cost effective way to collect a lot of data points and control a number of disparate systems. Any updates or advice on better ways to proceed would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Paul

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:21 pm

Wow this one really slipped through the cracks. :oops: Murray did send me the 1 wire device for testing but shortly after that we jumped into V4 development and this fell to the wayside. I put this on the short list of items to look at.

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:42 am

CinemarDave wrote:Wow this one really slipped through the cracks. :oops: Murray did send me the 1 wire device for testing but shortly after that we jumped into V4 development and this fell to the wayside. I put this on the short list of items to look at.
Thanks Dave, as you can see this has not been a very high priority for me!

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi Dave,
Did this ever make it to your short list?
thanks,
Murray

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:33 pm

Not yet but I promise it will get there after the items I'm working on now are fixed.

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:43 pm

There is no hurry.

Return to “MLServer 3”