MLServer PC & Video Camera Storage 24/7

Post here issues and solutions that relate to MainLobby Server 3
bpet

MLServer PC & Video Camera Storage 24/7

Postby bpet » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:55 pm

Building new MLServer PC, i7-4970s, 16GB Ram, 250GB SSD. In addition to MLServer, it will run Blue Iris Video Surveillance software to monitor 5 Foscam cameras. Currently I have the software set to record on motion detection - but that is a hassle with spiders and shadows. Considering setting it to record 24/7, but I'm wondering if that will impact MLServer's responsiveness since Blue Iris will be actively recording video all the time? I know the i7 is multi-core - but not sure if that means each program would use different core's - or if it is possible to designate that somehow?

Thanks,
Brett

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MLServer PC & Video Camera Storage 24/7

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:19 pm

We do not have any control over what processor core one of the MLServer threads run on. That's all controlled by the Windows kernel. Recording 24x7 will eat a lot of CPU cycles and also disc and network I/O. Recording should go to a disk different than the one MLServer is living on. The machine will certainly be busy but you'll really have to try it to see. If you find that Blue-Iris eats too much of the machine and affects MLServer performance you could always offload MLServer to its own machine running on a i5 NUC or something equivalent.

bpet

Re: MLServer PC & Video Camera Storage 24/7

Postby bpet » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:17 pm

The current MLServer machine is an HP Slimline that is 6 years old and requires lots of fans blowing on it to keep it cool enough to run....With the new MLServer, I'm trying to reduce the # of machines to maintain so I would prefer to keep them on the same machine. Thanks, I'll take your advice and be sure to put Blue Iris storage on another hard drive. I'll probably end up keeping Blue Iris set to record only when motion is detected to minimize resource usage. On the current machine's Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5Ghz 4GB RAM, it runs at 17-20% most of the time - so I would suspect when moved to the new i7 16GB RAM and SSD, it should be much less CPU usage...

Thanks again!

Return to “MLServer 3”