Variables questions

Post in this thread issues and solution you find with the MainLobby 3 Client
SparkyD

Variables questions

Postby SparkyD » Thu May 05, 2011 7:50 pm

I am designing lighting scenes, organized by room. (Master Bed, Guest bed, Kitchen, etc.) In each room I have between 6 and 16 lights Iam controlling. I need to find a way to have the room name (on the room selection menu) turn yellow or white, depending if ANY of the lights in that paticular room are on.
I tried using an automation rule, but it would only allow me to do 3 "and" scenarios, where I would need like 16. (If light A, and B, and C, and D, etc are off, setvariable|kitchen lights~0)

I'm sure there is a way through MLConditionals, but I want to keep this streamlined, as I have a ton of buttons to edit, Any advice?

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Re: Variables questions

Postby mcascio » Fri May 06, 2011 10:25 am

Stack three Text.Sizable's on top of each other. Then use the Off State to listen to a particular variable.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri May 06, 2011 11:12 am

If you want to test that everything is off then string all your variables into one value in the MLConditional

MLConditional|ISEqual##{{Light1}}{{Light2}}{{Light3}}{{Light4}}{{Light5}}{{Light6}}{{Light7}}...{{Light16}}##0000000...0##Make Button Green##Make Button Red

ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ronsatter » Fri May 06, 2011 1:36 pm

CinemarDave wrote:If you want to test that everything is off then string all your variables into one value in the MLConditional

MLConditional|ISEqual##{{Light1}}{{Light2}}{{Light3}}{{Light4}}{{Light5}}{{Light6}}{{Light7}}...{{Light16}}##0000000...0##Make Button Green##Make Button Red##

I love this feature of this command.

Don't think the last two ## symbols at the end of the example above are necessary, though. Only need four sets of ##'s in a conditional command.

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri May 06, 2011 1:38 pm

Right you are. I removed the trailing ## that should not have been there.

jjjukebox

Postby jjjukebox » Fri May 06, 2011 4:24 pm

You could use that MLConditional in a timer that goes off every 30 seconds or so and it would keep your "kitchen lights" variable fairly current
J.J. Jukebox

ricks

Postby ricks » Fri May 06, 2011 10:02 pm

That's sharp. Didn't realize MLConditional could do such a thing. SparkyD, I think I understand your name. You must be an electrician to have that many lights! One room with 16 independantly controlled lights!!! At $50 - $75 per switch you must work for one of the switch manufacturers. :D

I think I would still do the Automation rule for each switch. More initial programming but far less processing. Create a macro as above with the MLConditional for each room - maybe 10 to 12 rooms. Then do an Automation rule for each switch so that each room's macro only runs when there is a lighting change to a light in that room.

Running one macro with all 12 rooms every 30 seconds would mean this macro would run 2880 times a day when in reality you probably see less than 100 total changes a day at the most with that many lights. Think of the Master Bedroom. You may only make 5-6 lighting changes each day so why poll the room 2880 times.

When masterbed_light_1 changes value then Macro|Lighting.Masterbed.Status

I don't have nearly as many lights as you but I only poll when there is a change and it reflects the status of the room immediately.

Just a thought.
Rick

Return to “MainLobby 3 Client”