Ditch the current flash client for browser based - PLZ VOTE!

Post in this thread issues and solution you find with the MainLobby 3 Client

Should ML be migrated to a 100% web browser client?

Hell YES! I want to be able to use any OS, device, and web technology with ML.
78%
Yes. I think it's time the ML client evolves to the future standard.
4%
Maybe, but I'm not sure why or why not.
9%
No. I like using Flash despite, it's limitations, security concerns, and resource intensive requirements. Besides, I only use Microsoft OSes.
9%

Total votes: 23

mnkynifefite
Intermediate
Intermediate

Ditch the current flash client for browser based - PLZ VOTE!

Postby mnkynifefite » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:01 pm

This is not so much question as a request/suggestion for Mario, Dave, and crew.

As you may or may not know, I've been a ML user since the days before MLServer was even a glimmer in Mario's eye (that is to say, a long time), when ML was only a client front-end. So I have been part of the (r)evolution since the beginning. That said, I think it is about time to ditch the Flash client (which is slow, not universally compatible with all OSes, etc) and migrate to a 100% browser based client. The real power of ML no longer lies in a "slick looking client", but in the backend power of MLServer and various modules. I know there have been some great strides with iPhone/iPad Safari compatible clients, so why not go the extra mile and convert ML to an all browser compatible client?

The advantages are endless, like:
    * the ability to use ANY device with a browser, regardless of OS. This would be huge! Imagine ML on your Android based touchpad, linux pico pc, iPad, Motorolla web device, iMac, Blackberry, etc, etc - this would catapult ML to the next level without question.
    * the ability to integrate any other ip based component, and/or use browser add-ons and scripts (Greasemonkey, etc).
    * the ability to remotely (off-site) mange and control ML from anywhere in the world...with ease.
    * the ability to integrate flash, ajax, dhtml, html5, java scripting, etc all together.
    * the ability to seamlessly integrate "internal" ML data with external data...without pain.
    * much lower resource overhead required. As you know, Flash is a giant resource hog.
    * develop scenes only ONCE, and control formatting, scale, aspect, etc with stylesheets.

You can probably think of a few more that I'm missing, but I think these are the "biggies".

So what are the disadvantages to a 100% browser based client? That's easy...none, nothing, nada, zip, ziltch...outside of course of the initial coding/development on Cinemar's side.

Thoughts, comments?

As a quick note- I do realize that the built-in webserver in MLServer allows from my understanding a fair amount of interaction already, but I'm speaking more towards the development of a browser client "app" - border-less, optimized, etc. Perhaps even a somewhat WYSIWYG type "editor/creator", or MLS converter?

I would settle for server side scripting ability (which might perhaps be a even better solution) and then "roll my own" version of Firefox.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Re: Ditch the current flash client for browser based - PLZ VOTE!

Postby DaveB » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:14 pm

I think that Dave and Mario are already further down that path than we all may think. There have been but few words of a client builder for web based clients. If that is the path, then the logical next step would be to expand that area, while maintaining complete backward compatability. Should be interesting once the new version 4 hits the street!
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

mnkynifefite
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mnkynifefite » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:47 pm

Dave,

I'm sure you are more privy to that sort of information...so that really is great news =D> . You are right in that the client is just one aspect of this "evolution"; the enabling of server side scripting is also required (ASP, PHP, RUBY, etc) in order to really have a robust solution.

Mario, David, and crew are far brighter than myself, so I don't doubt this is on the radar. The OP ED piece and poll was more to them know it's on our radar as well.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:24 pm

No not really. Just from posts and conversations here on the board over the last month or so. Dave mentioned twice that a builder is forthcoming. I am sure all this will be after version 4 hits the street. I am looking forward to it. Flash was great for feature rich interfaces when everyone else was struggling to get there system up and running. Cinemar interfaces riveled that of multi mlillion dollar companies five years ago and still are impressive.

TCP/IP and HTML based automaton is the future along with very thin, cloud based devices, interfaces and access to your home from anyplace. I still like my in wall screen and still use it as my primary, but I am sure those days are numbered. This industry is moving very quickly at this time.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Return to “MainLobby 3 Client”