How to wake up a monitor in power save mode remotely?

Post in this thread issues and solution you find with the MainLobby 3 Client
simonmason
Expert
Expert

Re: How to wake up a monitor in power save mode remotely?

Postby simonmason » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:08 pm

Great thanks. Under certain events - such as an alarm condition - or incoming phone call with caller id - I want to wake up the monitor from powersave mode (which is working) and clear the screensaver so that you can look at the screen and see what is going on.
Simon D. S. Mason

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:31 am

Dave, did you do anything in this area? Thanks.
Simon D. S. Mason

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:06 pm

The latest version of the ClientSvc Agent has commands for turning the screen saver off and on. Use commands in the format Sys.<<CS Alias>>|Send~ScreenSaver~Off or On

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:28 am

Thanks!
Simon D. S. Mason

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:00 am

Dave, can I get an extension on my clientsvc to test this? It has currently expired. I am most interested in figuring out if this command will wake up a monitor from power save. It is related to the screen saver but I am not sure if it will work? Thanks.
Simon D. S. Mason

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:59 am

I seemed to be doomed on this particular task. I can confirm that monitor on and off works on both of my touchscreens. However, screensaver on and off does not work on one, and screensaver on works on the other, but off does not work! Ironically the one command I am looking to have work is the OFF. I want to wake up the touchscreens under certain conditions.

I am using the following syntax in a server send command just to test: Sys.CS1|Send~ScreenSaver~On - CS1 being the alias for the PC in question. When I issue: Sys.CS1|Send~Monitor~Off from the server send command it works fine.

Both touchscreens are running on PC's running Windows XP SP3. The two PC's are configured differently - different video cards, etc. This is the same issue I had when I first tested this, now I have a second touchscreen to test on so that has deepened the mystery! Any thoughts or should I give up on this? Thanks.
Simon D. S. Mason

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:07 am

I just updated the agents to use an alternate method for turning the screen savers off. I only have windows 7 PCs here but it works fine on all of them. Give the new agent a try.

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:16 pm

works like a charm. Thanks. Now I have to pay for the plugin!
Simon D. S. Mason

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Mon May 14, 2012 10:01 am

After a while I have noticed an undesirable side affect. I am issuing two commands to the touchscreen - wake up monitor and turn off screensaver. I am testing this on the touchscreen in my basement and I am using the light switch for the basement light as a trigger. I haven't been able to fully diagnose what is going on but after a while it is killing the mainlobby application as well as the Windows explorer - start menu and task bar. The client services application continues to run and shows on the screen. I am looking into some sort of crash monitoring software to see if I can trap this. However, if I disable the monitor on and screensaver off commands I do not see this issue. I will post more as I figure it out.
Simon D. S. Mason

Return to “MainLobby 3 Client”