Client Reconnect After Computer Sleep

Post in this thread issues and solution you find with the MainLobby 3 Client
sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Client Reconnect After Computer Sleep

Postby sonypoolplr » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:34 am

I have a laptop client that is connected to my home network via a wire and it goes to sleep when I close the lid. MLServer then breaks the connection for this client after 5 tries, I think that many, and then when I reopen the lid and the unit wakes up I have to click on something on my Mainlobby page two or three times to get it to reconnect. I made sure that all the network connections are waking up with the unit, I can RDP to another computer on my network. So I was wondering why this unit won't automatically reconnect to MLServer, if its supposed to, or if it isn't, what can I do to get it to reconnect when the computer wakes up?

Thanks.

TCassio
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby TCassio » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:20 am

I am also experiencing this. Irecently set all my PC's to sleep after 15 mins (to save electricity). They all lose the connection. The connecton is not re established until I click on a scene a couple of times.

sonypoolplr

Postby sonypoolplr » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:43 pm

So is this "normal"? My other client runs mlserver so it doesn't go to sleep or hibernate or anything, so I don't have anything to test this against.

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:11 pm

If you have a way to restore state between MainLobby launches (like your Startup command has MLServer send the client to the correct scene), then you could try using Hibernate Trigger to shut down MainLobby at Sleep and start it back up on Resume.

My laptop seems to respond fairly quickly when resuming from Hibernate, but I'm on a wired connection. Wireless connections probably take more time to reconnect.
- Brandon
My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

sonypoolplr

Postby sonypoolplr » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:17 pm

Thanks Brian, but my laptop is wired and it never reconnects unless I click on my Mainlobby scene, either the Home button, or any other button for that matter, but I have to click them more than once. I would think that the client would reconnect, that is why I posted, and then when TCassio posted to say he is seeing it as well, I wondered if this is normal. But reading your post it would appear that your clients automaticly reconnect. I am leaving Mainlobby running on the client when it goes to sleep so it is running when it starts back up, if that matters.

Thanks.

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:25 pm

I put my laptop to sleep, waited about 7 minutes, then awoke it.

MainLobby was still running and accepted a click, but the response from the server took about 20 seconds. I attribute this to the other processes "waking up" on my machine, as I have Bluetooth and other things that resume after waking up.

None of my clicks seemed to be "lost" however. Will give it a try on this Stylistic that I'm in the process of bringing up.

Brandon
- Brandon

maik

UMPC

Postby maik » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:24 am

Me too, it is only a problem for me on my new Samsung Q1u. Takes about two minutes to reconnect. I thought it was a problem with the wireless system on the Q1u.

Maik

sonypoolplr

Postby sonypoolplr » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:40 am

I wouldn't mind it if mine took a little bit to connect, but mine won't until I click on something on my scene. It does make me think that I am having network problems, but if I was, would I be able to remote connect to another computer on my network, and still not have Mainlobby connect until I click on something?

Thanks

Funboy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Funboy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:33 pm

I have the same problem with my Samsung Q1U.

What I was hoping the Cinemar folks could create is a server side "connect" function that could be leveraged from either a button, or even a scene/page reload. You could then tie it to a button so that when it's pressed it would initiate a connection to the MLServer or tie it to your main home page - whenever you navigated to your home page (on reload) it would automatically force a reconnect with MLServer.
- Funboy

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:24 pm

Funboy wrote:What I was hoping the Cinemar folks could create is a server side "connect" function that could be leveraged from either a button, or even a scene/page reload.

I think you meant client-side, right? Actually now that I re-read it, it's ambiguous. :?

Anyway, what you mean is a function like the Connect button in the Startup panel of the Scene Options, so we could have our own "(Re)connect" button on a scene to force a (re)connection.
- Brandon

rondepping
Expert
Expert

Postby rondepping » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:48 pm

Couldn't you just use the MLServerConnect command in a button?

MLServerConnection|connect~<<serverDomain>>~<<serverPort>>

see this thread.

http://www.cinemaronlineforums.com/foru ... verconnect

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:59 pm

I also see this when all of my ML machines are hibernated when the alarm is set. Not sure if Cinemar has the ability to detect whether the machine just came back from sleep or hibernation. There may be some Flash limitations to this.

Right now I would not classify this as a bug, but rather, as a technological feature where Cinemar has some limitations.

Workstations using DHCP or DNS for name resolution may experience a longer restoration time than machines using an assigned IP naming convention. This is the basics of networking....

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:03 pm

Wow, so many new commands being added. That's great!!
- Brandon

Funboy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Funboy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:05 pm

Guys I'm still having this problem with my Samsung Q1U UMPC.

At the end of the day I generally put my UMPC to sleep or it goes into sleep over night. When I restart it - when I require it - Mainlobby automatically starts up, but does not connect to MLServer.

I've tried waiting for up to 5 minutes and nothing. I've even clicked around a few buttons and nothing.

I created a button on one of my scenes and set the buttons MLServerCMD to be:
MLServerConnection|connect~192.168.1.50~5004

However clicking on it doesn't reconnect to MLServer either. If I minimize Mainlobby, I can confirm that I do have network connection. In fact I can even ping the MLServer.

The only way to reconnect the Mainlobby to MLServer is thru the Options->Startup panel. Clicking on the "connect" button on that panel successfully reconnects Mainlobby to my MLServer.

That would indicate to me that the command above does not exactly replicate the connect button on the Startup panel.

How can I create a button that exactly replicates the Startup panel connect button?
- Funboy

kgingerich
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgingerich » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:14 pm

Was a resolution to this problem ever found? I have a Q1U that also loses it's connection to the server and I have to manually go into options and reconnect it.

Return to “MainLobby 3 Client”