PreBuy question

Pinnace0

PreBuy question

Postby Pinnace0 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:19 pm

I have been following this thread avidly. I am redoing my cabinet (again) and I would like to incorporate a matrix 8X8 switch.

I currently use a Yamaha v2600 and Cinemar's mlYamaha plugin to perform switching. I have been very happy with this set-up, I have just outgrown it.

Is anyone out there that has experience with both Yamaha & Video storm plugins/hardware that can comment on the relative stability and features of the two approaches.

All comments welcome

Craig

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:28 pm

Craig,

I'm not sure what you are asking? You'll obviously be gaining more inputs/outputs with the 8x8 videostorm. Heck you can even push it to 16x16 which is pretty cool.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

Pinnace0

Postby Pinnace0 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:56 pm

To clarify, IMO – the MlYamaha plugin & associated hardware is a benchmark for stability. MlYamaha never misses a command, freezes the system, or causes problems with other applications. However Video Storm has a lot more switching capabilities and I want to move up. My fear is MLMatrixSwitcher is significantly less mature than MLYamaha. I really don’t want to move backwards.

In short, am trying to determine if the MLMatrixSwitcher and associated hardware is ready for Prime Time . :?:

Before I tear apart my system; it would be encouraging to hear from the MLMatrixSwitcher's Pioneers (e.g., Brandon, BigDavette, T.Wells, Gstone , et all) something to the effect of “This plug-in is solid, performs as expected, does not generate multiple false errors and does not conflict with other parts of the Cinemar Suite”.

I certainly accept upfront the concept of "YMMV" :)

Craig

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:21 pm

Craig,

AFAIK, the plugin had some issues due to some incorrect documentation provided by the mfg. Which has since been corrected. Based on the current response from users, everything is working as expected. Just peruse this area of the forum for their responses to our latest release where they state everything is working now.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:30 pm

Hi Craig,

I'm running the latest MLMatrixSwitcher Family plugin and VideoStorm driver and everything is running fine.

To be honest, my only problem right now is that my system has become so complex that I rely on the MLServer automation!
I tried to watch TV last night without using MLServer and it took me a good 10 minutes to get everything configured correctly between my scaler, the switch and my receiver. Doesn't help much that I ended up running two signal paths through the switcher (input to scaler to fed through switcher, then scaler's output is fed through switcher to projector in order to switch between digital-originated and analog-originated output) either, heh.

I really need to get my touchscreen control panel set up before my wife gets annoyed! It's a good thing we have a "regular" TV in the bedroom that she can watch.
- Brandon
My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:00 pm

Brandon,
that's funny, but oh so true as we get more and more "black boxes" in the mix. Without good management software, the ROI keeps getting smaller and smaller as the equipment starts to overpower who can use it.

Thankfully, MLServer when properly configured can bring back the ease to a technically sophisticated system and the WAF.

Of course the WAF (or HAF in many cases) is what allows us to buy more Black Boxes :)

Return to “Video Storm”