Prebuy questions

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Prebuy questions

Postby rileydog » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:45 pm

I think I am sold on moving my stuff to a central location - the pain of having computers/video sources all over the house is starting to get to me. I also have DirecTV and having 4 receivers around the house is a problem when I have more than 4 locations. Looking at the plugins, having a simple scene in ML to switch video sources is very appealing. And, my remote sites with A/V receivers can basically be fixed to a single source so the amount of IR commands/calls to switch would be reduced.

Each area has 3 cat5's, 2 Coax and a phone run so I should be in good shape to centralize my stuff.

I was looking at the CRM88 or the Neothings Borrego and use Intelix Baluns over my Cat5 - but, I have a few questions for the group.

1) If I have a mix of HD (component) and non-HD (composite) sources, do I need 2 baluns (well 4, 2 on each side) - 1 to run component/digital audio, 1 to run composite/analog audio? I fear the answer is yes - thus, I will have to switch sources on my remote TV's to view HD/non-HD from the switch... Any strategies on how I can simply have 1 source on my TV so I can loose the remote?

2) It looks like neothings/CRM88 are similar - anyone have an opinion on which one to get? The neothings Borrego looks more cool if all things are equal.

Thanks!

davevans
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby davevans » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:47 pm

I have the borrego and I am really happy with it. It has a great look, I love the black glass touch sensitive front panel. I also like that you have the ability to switch the audio and video seperately. I have never tried the video storm you are considering, but I have had other video storm products in the past. Based on those, the neothings' fit and finish is MUCH nicer.

HTH,
Dave

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:00 pm

Thanks for the reply - at the risk of going off topic on this thread, is there any way to deal with the component/composite issue with either matrix? I fear I will need 2 cat5's - one cat5 to run composite/digital and one cat5 for composite/analog - thus, each end will need an A/V receiver and I will need to use a remote on each A/V receiver to switch between the sources (component/composite). My math indicates that each location will need 4 baluns or roughly $320 per location.

I am wondering if I can find something to convert composite/analog to component/digital prior to the matrix so that all signals will be component/digital in the matrix - then, I would only need 2 baluns/location - a savings of $160/run - doesn't take too many runs to justify such a device and it would satisfy the need to have a simple run - i.e. all runs end at an A/V receiver which be on the same source and never need to change... I just change the matrix.

Thoughts? Thanks,

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:25 am

rileydog,

AudioAuthority makes a converter:
https://www.audioauthority.com/indexh.p ... Product=45

Haven't tried it.

I'm not positive without looking, but I believe you get more inputs/outputs with the Videostorm.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

Return to “Video Storm”