Pre-Buy Question?

gstone
Expert
Expert

Pre-Buy Question?

Postby gstone » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:38 pm

Want to get but have a few questions first....

If i get the optional Digital board, will the pluing also control these?

If I use the HDMI out to my monitor is there an optical out to go to my reciever, or when using the digital board is the audio only sent over the HDMI cable?

Also I read in another post that what ever is plugged into the digital board is not available to be switched to the component outs, and what ever is plugged into the component connects is not available to HDMI out put. Is this true?

That concers me as I have a DVD that is component, PC that is HDMI, HD Cable box that is HDMI and a LCD that takes HDMI.

So what that means is if I plug into the LCD thraogh HDMI then I get no dvd player, and anything displays using the component connection will not get the HD box, and PC signal.
Very confusing.
Always ask! You can't stay dumb forever!

T.Wells
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Pre-Buy Question?

Postby T.Wells » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:11 pm

gstone wrote:So what that means is if I plug into the LCD thraogh HDMI then I get no dvd player, and anything displays using the component connection will not get the HD box, and PC signal.
Very confusing.

Are we sure that this statment is true? Can someone confirm this for us?

Thanks,
T.Wells

gstone
Expert
Expert

Postby gstone » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:26 am

Yes I can confirm it. I called Videostorm yesterday.

What ever is plugged into the Digital board is not available to the component outs.

Ans whatever is plugged into the component ins is not available through the HDMI out.
Always ask! You can't stay dumb forever!

T.Wells
Intermediate
Intermediate

Thanks for the Update

Postby T.Wells » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:02 pm

gstone wrote:Yes I can confirm it. I called Videostorm yesterday.

What ever is plugged into the Digital board is not available to the component outs.

Ans whatever is plugged into the component ins is not available through the HDMI out.

Yes, I also read this on the forum area over at Video Storm.

So basically, the digital board is only a HDMI switch (only 1 output) and not a distrabution hub.

I am still very much interested in the product but wish it had this ability we both desire. Please let us know what you end up doing.

I just wired 5 locations with component video, analog audio, and digital audio (toslink). I'll have to make a move sometime before summer.

-T.Wells

T.Wells
Intermediate
Intermediate

Next Question ... Digital Audio

Postby T.Wells » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:06 am

Hello-

I am wondering if this unit will send out both digital and analog audio.

For example, if I hook up a HDTV cable box or stander def. DVD player via component and toslink audio. Can I send out both the video and audio to multiple sources? For example, 4 units with component inputs and two of those only have analog audio (R-W composite) and the other two are toslink inputs?

Thanks,
T.Wells

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:49 pm

Each analog input has:
Y
Pb
Pr
SPDIF (coax)
TOSlink (optical)
Analog L
Analog R

In the switching you have control over whether SPDIF or TOSlink audio is routed to each output (with or without video).
For example, I can switch In 5 (Optical) to Out 1.
Or I can switch In 5 (Coax) to Out 1.
Both would yield the same video and analog audio, but different digital audio.

Either digital audio is output through both SPDIF and TOSlink on the output.

However, there is no analog-digital conversion, so the analog audio stays independent of the digital audio.

This can be convenient in the case of a downstream device that can switch between analog and digital input. For example, if you have some kind of speakerphone type system, you might run the phone output on the analog, and have it "break in" on the receiving device when necessary.

If you do need analog-digital audio conversion, then you'll have to get some kind of converter. I managed to snag a couple of Radio Shack boxes that do S-Video/Composite (not using that part) and analog stereo to TOSlink conversion for $3 on clearance from the store. I don't have the model # handy though...

Brandon
- Brandon
My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

Return to “Video Storm”