IP connected Insteon Controllers

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

IP connected Insteon Controllers

Postby chuck99z28 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:26 am

Is there support for any of the IP connected Insteon controllers?

I could list some if need be, but if there's on you already support that would be best.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: IP connected Insteon Controllers

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:06 am

We just talk to the Insteon PLM now. What other ones do you have in mind? If there is a communication protocol for it we can most likely talk to it.

tmcgowan

Postby tmcgowan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:39 am

Chuck,

You might want to check out the Insteon ISY controller. I use the ISY994i model and it works great with ML.

Best regards,

Todd

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:12 pm

The Insteon 2245-2222 Hub is on sale http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2245-222-hub.html

Todd,
Do you use the ISY-99i with the Lighting Family natively without any other third party plugins?

Can you determine if it supports the Insteon Motion Sensor and/or the I/O Link and other relay controllers?

I'm looking to totally dump Homeseer just so I don't need to deal with two automation controllers.

Its on sale too.

Thanks!

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:05 pm

I wonder if the ISY994iZw Insteon / Z-Wave Controller with Dual-Band PLM works the same way.

tmcgowan

Postby tmcgowan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:14 pm

chuck99z28 wrote:I wonder if the ISY994iZw Insteon / Z-Wave Controller with Dual-Band PLM works the same way.

Hi Chuck,

I use the ISY994i/IR Pro model (which can be upgraded with the z-wave controller if I wanted to). I don't see why they wouldn't work the same, since they use the same firmware. However, you may want to go out to the ISY Forum to ask that question.

With respect to HomeSeer, I've been a long time user of that system going back to 2002, and still have it running in background since I have a significant investment in a RFID tag reader and my weather station uses software that HS has a plug-in for. I've just been too lazy to convert over to the one that ML has. At any rate, I've been extremely pleased with Cinemar's support for the ISY controller and haven't had any problems with controlling over 200 light switches, modules. In addition, I have dozens of Insteon motion, water and door sensors in use and everything talks to each other very well (no delays in response times).

I know it costs a fair amount to go the ISY direction, but I've never worried about loosing my configuration, since I back it up every time I upgrade the firmware or add more modules/switches.

Hopefully, this has been helpful?

Best regards,

Todd

p.s., I have no financial interest in Insteon, although my wife would take exception to that statement given how much money I've spent on light switches and stuff!

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:04 pm

Todd,
Very helpful. Thanks

I ordered one, will be here tomorrow. :)

Chuck

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Oronomus » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:36 pm

I use the ISY to control many, many Insteon lighting devices, four Insteon thermostats, ELK security boxes in two homes and one z-wave door lock. Dave has written drivers for Insteon light controllers in lighting family, Insteon thermostats in Climate family and ELK in Security family. I haven't even looked to see if the z-wave works through the MainLobby security family - it might since it can be controlled through ISY. ML is NOT a total substitute for control through ISY, although it might come closer than I realize (for example, if I would study and use the ML timers more thoroughly).

The general breakdown is that I use ML for personal control and ISY console for automated functions.

So I can pick up my phone and use ML scenes to manually turn off lights in any room after climbing in bed or turning on the security alarm. But I write programs in ISY for many automated functions such as turning landscaping lights on and off at sunset and sunrise (times which the ISY console adjusts daily), scene controls for motion detectors, lights that dim first then turn off say 30 minutes after being manually turned on, thermostats that change settings during times and seasons, etc.

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:50 pm

Thanks.

I think my scene controls and lighting automation is pretty basic. Probably 6 time of day sequences at most. I'm more into scenes that dim the lights to just the right level when you start spa music in the massage room or bring certain lights up to low power when you press pause in a movie.

I'm using scheduled tasks on ML right now, just sending the commands through the plugin to Homeseer and I just include lighting in Macros for the other stuff.

The only thing I haven't looked at yet is the landl ine phone. Homeseer sends all calls to voice mail then emails me the audio except for numbers on my OK list, of which there are only five. The funny part is, that after running that setup for 8 years I no longer get any calls. :)

I do appreciate the discussion.

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:52 am

The ISY is onsite and working great so far with three test Insteon responders..

I can even move responders over from Homeseer without actually touching them. I just copy the address over to the ISY app, get a connection and delete them from Homeseer.
I'll move them all over this weekend.

Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Insteon”