MLISY won't load

prferrara

MLISY won't load

Postby prferrara » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:52 am

I’ve been running the MLISY plugin for a # of years now and it has always worked flawlessly, but unfortunately I am now stuck and need some help. I had an “incident” with my HA server recently where I ended up having to do an OS restore (Windows XP SP3) and then re-install all my programs. Fortunately I did have a backup of all my data including all of my MainLobby scenes, settings, keys, etc. After a couple weeks worth of work restoring the system, I now have MLServer and client up and running again. The one wrinkle: I cannot get the MLISY plugin to load.

I initially installed the newest version of the MLISY plugin (which is not the version I was running previously – I lost track of which versions of which plugins I was running before the crash). MLISY would not work.

I un-installed MLISY (using Windows control panel add/remove), then re-installed an earlier rev closer to what I believe I was running (0.1.26), and still the same problem, it would not load. When I look in the MLServer Plugins window, the MLISY plugin is listed but status is "not loaded (VB err #0)”.

Any help on resolving this would be greatly appreciated. My wife is threatening to throw the kitchen touchscreen out the window if I don't get this fixed soon :cry:

Thanks,
Paul

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MLISY won't load

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:53 am

We did not write the MLISY plugin but from the sounds of the error it would appear you are missing a Windows dll that the plugin needs. Since it cannot find the dll it needs to load MLISY then fails to load. I'm 99.9% sure that's the issue.

The MLISY plugin was written in .Net and needs the .Net environment installed on the PC to run. Since you are running Windows XP you might be missing .Net 2.0. Grab the .Net 2.0 installer from here and run it on your PC. Make sure MLServer is shut down when you do this.

Let me know if that helps. If you still have the issue we'll have to did a little deeper.

prferrara

Postby prferrara » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:25 pm

Dave, thanks for the quick response. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.

I recall that .NET 4.0 got installed at some point during my system recovery process as part of the re-installation of some other piece of software, but I can't verify that it really installed completely/correctly. Bobsplace website says min requirements are .NET 3.0 or later, so I thought I was ok, (but that statement might have pre-dated the release of 4.0, so maybe it isn't compatible).

prferrara

Postby prferrara » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:54 am

Unfortunately, installing .NET 2.0 from your link did not help. Since Bobsplace lists .NET 3.0 as minimum requirement, I next went ahead and installed that too (.NET 3.0SP1), and still no luck. I even tried un-installing and then re-installing the MLISY plugin and then restarting the MLSERVER.

If I look in the event log, it just says "MLISY", followed by "NOT Loading Plugin MLISY".

Presently, I'm running MLServer V3.75.71 and MLISY 1.27.

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:22 am

Sorry, I've been out of touch for a few weeks and just saw this.

Installing .NET 3.0+ was going to be my suggestion too. Without some additional error/diagnostic information it will be hard to track down the problem.

The MLISY plug-in does save (and then load on start) information from the registry. Possibly that is corrupt and causing it to fail. The information is under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cinemar\MLISY

Normally, that would have keys for:

ip_address - IP Address of the ISY
log_enabled - On/Off
log_level - Number representing the amount of information the plugin will log
username - ISY username
password - ISY password

There's also a folder called Mapping that contains an plug-in generated ID to ISY device ID mapping.

Did your restore also restore the registry?

You should be able to delete the entry MLISY section and the plug-in will recreated when started. The only problem could be the mappings since these basically control the mapping between all the MLISY variables (MLISY_XXXX) and the actual Insteon devices/groups. If those change, you have to re-do anything that was using them.

If the entries are there and look ok, set the log_enabled to "on" and set the log_level to 5. Then let's see if that generates any useful error messages when the plug-in tries to load.
--
Bob

prferrara

Postby prferrara » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi Bob,
No need for apologies. Thanks for helping out.

I checked the registry and there are no MLISY entries listed under the Cinemar group.

I was not able to recover/restore the original registry. When the system failed, I made the bad choice of going ahead with the "Recovery" option this HP computer offered on bootup. It re-installed the original (very old) version of XP, along with a fresh registry. It left all my Program Files directory in place, but made my Documents and Settings file unaccessible, and created a new empty parallel one. I was able to copy off all my files, but was never able to find the original registry to restore. I therefore had to re-install everything.

I also could not find the Folder called Mapping that you mentioned. I did a search of the entire c: drive and it came up with nothing. Where should it be?

Unfortunately I cant turn the MLISY log on, because it doesnt seem to get that far to be able to enable it.

I'm sure that there is some system setting or file missing or wrong somewhere. I've had to re-install all sorts of Windows items (such as installation assistant, windows update, Java, .NET, etc) as other programs I tried to install would fail. Aarrrrgh.

Paul

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:53 pm

Paul,

Ok, I'm just trying to determine what might be failing. Since the registry entries are getting created, I know it's not calling the plug-in's startup function. The only dependency is on .NET 3.0 and later versions should be compatible.

One of the first things the plug-in should do is set a variable "mlisy_starting" to "yes". I suspect that it's not doing that either but check to see if that is getting set. Knowing that will help narrow down how far along things are getting. I'll try a couple things here too.

Did you re-install the plug-in using my plug-in installer? That does register the plug-in with windows so that MLServer can properly find and load it. If it's not registered properly, that might cause the problem you're seeing.

Also, the latest version of the plug-in from my web site should be the most stable version so let's stick with that for now.
--

Bob

prferrara

Postby prferrara » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:11 pm

Just checked the server variables list, and the mlisy_starting variable wasn't created.

I did re-install mlisy using your plugin installer, freshly downloaded from your website. I did first start with the newest version, but when that did not work I uninstalled it (using windows control panel) and re-installed a version closer to where I believe I was running before the crash (1st tried 1.23, then 1.26, now 1.27). I hadn't updated any of the systems in over a year (ISY firmware, MainLobby software, or MLISY) because it all seemed to be working ok for me and so I left the older versions going. I'll uninstall 1.27 and reinstall the latest version since you say that has best chance of working.

If it helps any, in the plugin list within MLserver, for MLISY it lists Version as "unknown".

Paul

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:51 pm

I'm running out of ideas.

You are running a slightly older version of mlserver than what I have. I running 3.75.221. It's possible I've done something that only works with later versions of mlserver, maybe Dave can comment on that.
--

Bob

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Yes by all means install the latest 3.75 version of MLServer. 3.75.71 is circa 2007.

prferrara

Postby prferrara » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:02 pm

Hi Bob and Dave,

Just a quick post to let you know that I was able to succesfully get MLISY to work again.

Since both of you initially thought that .NET might be the issue, I decided to do a complete .NET re-install. I thought this might be helpful because I knew that 4.0 was installed by another program before 2.0 and 3.0 were installed by me, and that maybe installing them out of order could have led to some issue. I first un-intalled each version of .NET in reverse order (4.0, 3.5, 3.0, 2.0), then after a fresh reboot tired to install 2.0. It failed to install. After a little web searching I found a recommendation to use ".NET unistall cleanup tool" for each version before each is installed. So I did 2.0 cleanup, then succesful 2.0 install, then 3.0 cleanup and 3.0 install.
At this point I tried MLISY again and it worked !

I then proceeded to cleanup and install 3.5 and 4.0 (because Sonos Desktop requires .NET 4.0), and still everything is OK.

I still have a few more setup demons to battle, but at least this one is resolved.

BTW, in the middle of all this I got fed up with the battle and ordered a brand new core i5 desktop to use for my HA server (mine was way old and needed replacing anyway, this was just a good excuse) to finally go for it). So over the next month or so I'm going to have to start all over again re-installing this on a new system. #-o

Paul

Return to “Insteon”