Insteon or Zwave?

maik

Insteon or Zwave?

Postby maik » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:50 am

I have 2000 sq feet home and would like to replace all my light switches and ceiling fan switch with Insteon or Zwave. What should I use??? What seems to work the best?

Maik

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Re: Insteon or Zwave?

Postby DavidL » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:42 am

Throw UPB into your decision process as well.

Scott

Postby Scott » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:30 pm

I second the UPB. Have it in several homes of various sizes and it works great. Most of these wireless solutions require switches throughout the house to make it work properly. Zigbee, did it, done it, got the AGGRAVATION!!!
Scott
InControl

davevans
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby davevans » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:49 am

I use the Leviton ViziaRF switches and have been very happy. It is true, you have to make sure you have enough switches to ensure coverage, but once you hit that point, mine has proved to bee rock solid. Plus, the instant status, and large product range (switches, plugins, tstats, fan controlls etc) I think is a plus. I did explore UPB, but had trouble with it (lights that were dimmed often stopped responding) and thought the repsonse times from when you sent the command to tun on the light and the light actually turning on had a noticable delay. I also like that leviton vizia has matching non z-wave switches so you can have a unified look in a multi gang box when not all switches are controllable.

ssawyer

Postby ssawyer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:58 pm

I use zwave and have not had much of a problem. Tried UPB but had too much noise over the power line that they never responded. With zwave you do need to have several devices for the mesh network to be efficient. With 70+ devices and a 3700 square foot house, mine is near 100%. The only problems I have had were do to a faulty device.

kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kevind » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:53 am

insteon....dropped that product line 2 years ago after losing money on every install due to never ending defective hardware, faulty this and that, endless communication issues and it is the slowest of all systems to program. A job you can do in Vantage that takes a couple of days could easily take a couple of weeks with Insteon. It's worse than x10...at lease the x10 hardware lasted for several years. I have a box of 30 or more switches, modules etc that are defective and after so many RMA's the mftg has stopped taking them back.

Z-Wave...no experience...the guys at homeseer are pushing it heavily though. Zigbee....C4 stuff is pretty darn good. Vantage...rock solid. Enspire line is economical. Lutron....like Vantage it's also very good. Lutron and vantage it reallly comes down to minor price points, same feature sets but different look. UPB....boring. Glorified X10. Slow and not pretty.

SparkyD

Postby SparkyD » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:23 pm

I'm always surprised to hear about Insteon Devices failing. I've done 2 homes with 40-50 Insteon devices per home. There was 1 dead device out of the box at time of installation. Other than that, everything has worked perfectly for years. ISY-99 makes programming simple, especially scenes. Hard to beat the price.

maik

Postby maik » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:28 am

Thank you for all your input, I went with UPB. It is working in my setup after installing a phase coupler.

Maik

kirkfrey
Expert
Expert

Postby kirkfrey » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:34 pm

Its just "me and my house" speaking, sounds like there are others that have done a lot more installs that I have. So, FWIW...

I tried zWave but it seemed to be hit or miss. the system would be rock solid, then I'd add another switch or something that should have made the system even more reliable and it would all go to crap. Add another switch and it was better or maybe worse... The best thing I found to do when adding a switch was to reset all the devices and start all over which wasnt fun. I woudl definately suggest, if possible to get all the switches at once and do it all in one go.

I moved to Insteon and have been fairly happy. Had a couple of DOA switches and a couple that died later but overall I have been happy. I'd have done UPB but for the price. Insteon seems much more stable than it was initially, i use the ISY-99 and that has helped alot.

If I were to do it all over again, on less than a shoestring budget I'd seriously look at UPB again and based on the comments above, maybe Vantage as well.
Kirk

Just trying to figure it out...

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:18 am

My .02.

I did my whole house in insteon icon switches bck in 2004/2005 when they put the green LED lights on sale for 14.99 / switch. I bought like 70 devices which included like 10 keypadlincs.

Now, those switches had serious problems as it turns out and they almost all failed due to a micro sensor problem in the paddle that makes the paddle stop working. Smarthome figured out it was a problem and extendd the warranty for like 4 years. In late 2008 I called to replace them but they were out of switches and they sent me the switchlinc switches for a $10 upgrade which seemed like a deal considering my original price. I got 20 switches that way and started replacing in batches. Then they sent me like 30 icon switches and within about 2 weeks of being installed they all stopped working, dead as a doornail. One by one they just went dead. They sent me more as replacement and half those died. After going back and forth and back and forth, they ended up replacing those 35 with switchlincs for the $10 upgrade. Then I had about 10 more die and and they sent me Icon switches again and this batch has been fine.

Moral of story is that I have only had 1 switchlinc or keypadlinc die in about 6 years. The icon switches have been bad in my case and I ended up replacing every switch in my house at least twice if not 3 times.

Even more frustrating was the original Cinemar plugins and programming them. IN all fairness the PLMs and PLCs were a joke.

Along comes ISY and programming was fixed. The ISY is rock solid and easy to program all the lights. That also includes thermostats, irrigation controllers and motion detectors. In my opinion, ISY saved Insteon from being an overcomplicated and not always 100% reliable product to program. Once programmed it was great.

The other positive was even as difficult as Smarthome has been to developers, they have stood by their products in my case.

As a do it your self guy, price has been a big consideration. if I was installing this stuff for customers I probably would have run away from Insteon as fast as possible. Don't let anyone tell you it doesnt' work. The Insteon line with ISY is pretty rock solid program wise and just stay with the Switchlinc devices over Icon.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:57 am

Very well said. I find the chain of event interesting and I am happy to hear that Smarthome stood behind the product.

I have had similar instances with early (version 1 ) UPB devices. Since version 2 came out, everything is rock solid. I have just started to integrate ZWave and currently have all of my ceiling fans operating on Leviton devices. Rock solid so far, and no comparability issues with all of my UPB.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Return to “Insteon”