What's best for a handful of lights?

wnl

What's best for a handful of lights?

Postby wnl » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:00 pm

So I was all decided on what to get for my project and then I started reading here and got all confused again.

Initially I need something to control one dimmer in my home theater so that the lights can be dimmed out at the beginning of a movie and (maybe) brought back up to half as the credits roll. But I also figure that once I've made the investment in hardware and plug-in, I might as well use it to control a few other lights around the house. I have no desire to automate every light switch, but I would be very interested in setting up the outside lights so that they could go on at sunset and off at sunrise. Controlling holiday lights via plug-in modules would be good too. At most I'm looking at one dimmer, 4 wall switches, and 3 or 4 plug-ins.

Will MLLighting with a PLM be reliable enough for this? Or do I need to get an ISY too? Does the PLM need to be serial or will MLLighting be able to talk to a USB PLM? What about the PLC -- is that something I should consider? After reading about reliability problems I wonder if Insteon is even the right choice, but in an existing home I think the only other choice is straight X10, and I haven't had good success with that in the past (my house is over 3500 sq ft).

Thanks.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Re: What's best for a handful of lights?

Postby mcascio » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:03 pm

I think you will be fine with just the PLM and our Insteon PLM plugin.

I'm using that same setup to control 40-50 Insteon devices.

Insteon now makes outdoor modules which is pretty cool.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

wnl

Postby wnl » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:54 pm

But it has to be the serial PLM and not USB?

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:22 pm

Yes - I would recommend the Serial.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

wnl

Postby wnl » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:24 pm

I've got one more question along these lines. Smarthome now sells a next-generation PLM that includes an RF access point along with some other new features. Has anyone used this with MLServer? Does it work as well as the old PLM? The cost savings of this "dual band" PLM and one additional AP over buying the old PLM and a 2-pack of APs is only $10, and if I buy separate APs then I have the option of plugging them in where I want (the dual-band unit means that one of my APs has to be next to my theater equipment rack). I'm willing to spend the extra $10 to get that, but I also want to make sure that what I buy is going to work well with MLServer. Any advice or experiences?

Return to “Insteon”