ISY-99 and PLM

monteourdog

ISY-99 and PLM

Postby monteourdog » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:25 am

I have been away from my home for quite a while and I missed out on the Insteon offer to trade-in an old PLM for a new. Soon, I will be returning to my home and I plan to make some changes including improving my Insteon lighting control with an ISY-99.

Can someone tell me if there is any need to purchase a new PLM along with an ISY? I am aware that the PLM needs to connect via serial (RS-232)to the ISY and I think (maybe) that I have a serial PLM. What I have read, it sounds like the ISY is the solution to good control and MLS sync - perhaps the ISY itself is enough and the PLM is only a means to communicate with the devices.

Thanks all!

bpwwer

Re: ISY-99 and PLM

Postby bpwwer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:48 am

monteourdog wrote:I have been away from my home for quite a while and I missed out on the Insteon offer to trade-in an old PLM for a new. Soon, I will be returning to my home and I plan to make some changes including improving my Insteon lighting control with an ISY-99.

Can someone tell me if there is any need to purchase a new PLM along with an ISY? I am aware that the PLM needs to connect via serial (RS-232)to the ISY and I think (maybe) that I have a serial PLM. What I have read, it sounds like the ISY is the solution to good control and MLS sync - perhaps the ISY itself is enough and the PLM is only a means to communicate with the devices.

Thanks all!

HI,

Do you have a PLM or a PLC? I think the only upgrade offer was to replace a PLC with a PLM (maybe?) The only upgrade I ever did was to replace an old PLC with a new PLC.

PLC's will not work with the ISY, you need a PLM. I believe most PLM's will work with the ISY, but there were some problems with older ones so a newer one is definitely better.

When using an ISY, the communication flow looks like this MLS <-> ISY <-> PLM <-> device. The ISY handles all the configuration and can handle a lot of the conditional rules for controlling the Insteon devices. So there's a lot of overlap between what the MLS automation rules can do and what the ISY rules can do. MLS is still used to provide the nice GUI interface and interaction between other non-Insteon equipment.
--
Bob

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:56 pm

ISY uses a PLM, but it has to have the right firmware.

I'm not sure if the firmware requirements are on the Universal Devices forum; but you can probably get the answer there. Note that it may not just be a "newer than this version" factor, but my only work with certain versions. That was the case when I first got mine.

monteourdog

Postby monteourdog » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:26 am

Thanks for the information. I checked smarthome and found the isy-99i with plm on sale so I ordered it - my old plm can keep my old plc company in the ever growing box of "once was good stuff"!

bpwwer, with regards to your mention of the communication flow - I assume that since the plm connects to the isy, the plm plugin is no longer used in MLS?

Happy New Year!

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:20 pm

monteourdog wrote:bpwwer, with regards to your mention of the communication flow - I assume that since the plm connects to the isy, the plm plugin is no longer used in MLS?

Happy New Year!

You are correct. My MLISY plug-in provides an interface between the ISY and MLServer. Device status is translated to MLServer variables real-time and the plug-in provides commands that send commands to the ISY. The latest version along with some documentation is available on my web site at http://www.bobsplace.com/mlisy/
--

Bob

Return to “Insteon”