Insteon Occupancy sensor

wireless

Insteon Occupancy sensor

Postby wireless » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:02 am

Any thoughts on whether these can be used with the MLligting PLM plugin?
http://www.smarthome.com/2420M/Wireless ... sor/p.aspx

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:01 am

They work fine.
They work with ISY and report status.
ML PLC versus PLM... who knows?
Nothing was quite complete there, ever. :roll:

wireless

Postby wireless » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:03 am

Thanks, I'll be testing with the PLM/PLC in Feb, so we'll find out.

wireless

Postby wireless » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:07 pm

Just a quick update.

Installed 4 of these and added to a PLC/SDM setup.
The sensors were added as a keypad since they don't seem to be able to report status. So far they have been kind of flaky using the MLLighting/PLC plugin. Response time of physically linking them into a particular light switch seems ok but setting them up through the plugin and an automation rule, the delay is too long, usually running 1 - 2 seconds before the action, if it executes at all. I do have other issues with noise, so I'm adding some filter links and another access point to see if it will help with the reliability. There are 58 devices on this system so it's on the larger side of an Insteon setup.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:53 pm

You might want to play with PowerHome and/or HomeLinc2 a bit to see if there are link issues or noise issues that might be causing problems. I mention them because there is more detailed logging (at least in PH; I'm not sure about HL2) that can indicate actual noise versus other problems. If it is noise, everything I've seen indicates that it's typically one or two things that cause it - CFLs, flourescents, or other types of lights that introduce noise are most commonly identified. When my network is faster and/or more reliable in daytime than night, I know it's a light problem. I haven't seen the kind of huge noise problems with other things that I used to with X10.

58 devices isn't too large according to folks I've talked to - AND the larger the network, the more reliable it /should/ be.

The delay might just be distance and/or noise related to APs, since that's the communication path the sensors take. Perhaps move APs before anything else?

wireless

Postby wireless » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:58 am

We're adding another access point near the pc today. We currently have two in place, one of which is right below a sensor. We currently don't have any filters on the two pcs that are located next to the PLC, and I have found in the past that filtering the pc does improve things.

I'll also try moving the APs, thanks for the tip! Haven't used PowerHome before, but I see there is a 30 day trial. If it will help identifying noise issues, then definitely worth it.

I never really considered the noise created by CFLs and flourescents but that could be a real issue as the world is moving to CFLs. I guess UPB would suffer as well if there were a lot of CFLs in a home. That would leave only RF solutions, which also have their issues.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:49 pm

One of the posts I read (can't recall which forum) had someone putting a filter on the load side of a circuit with a lot of CFLs. :shock:

It makes sense, I suppose... but what a bummer.

I've also noticed that some (often cheap, but not exclusively) fixtures are noisy. I've identified one of these in the past as needing to be rewired, as loose connections seemed to have caused the noise. Steve Lee of SH claims to have fixed most Insteon "noise" issues with identifying loose wire-nut connections more than with filters. I'm fearing the possibility that he's right... but I think he probably is. His approach is simple, if painful: shut off breakers until the response gets good; turn them on until you find the problem line; check every connection in that line. :!:

He's done hundreds of Insteon devices in a network and got multi-year reliability this way, so I guess he's on to something.

johnj

Re: Insteon Occupancy sensor

Postby johnj » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:24 am

wireless,

What was the outcome, do your motion sensors work acceptably? I purchased one on the motion sensors to use as door bell of sorts through my ELK alarm but for some reason the ELK will not recognize the motion sensor when activated. I want the ELK to announce, “visitor at the front door” whenever motion is detected.” I am doing this now with an X10 motion sensor but it is unreliable. If you have had good luck with the motion sensors through the Insteon Plug-in I would like to give it a try and go around the ELK or at least through MainLobby first.

Does anyone else know if this is possible?

wireless

Postby wireless » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:22 pm

Gave up on it. It works fine if you manually link a light to it, just turning on the light. It was useless to try and do other automation events as it doesn't report status correctly to MLServer. That's with using a PLM, or PLC, by themselves. Others who are using the ISY may have different experiences.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:19 pm

I have it working great - but my UPB lighting is primarily controlled by HAI and the sensor is connected to HAI. Works great. HAI does not work great with Cinemar at the moment, but the fix is someplace on the list. I have found that lighting control directly through HAI is much more stable than through Main Lobby. And yes, I have gone through all the iterations of UPB connectivity with Main Lobby.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Return to “Insteon”