Cinemar needs your feedback on Insteon

T.Wells
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby T.Wells » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:31 pm

I have used MLLighting with the PLC and MLInsteon with the PLM. I just picked up an ISY and love the product.

My vote is for ISY and ISY only. They really seem to have process of linking and using scenes down pat.

I also like the idea of having programming of my lights done externally from the PC. I think this was brought up before. It is nice to shut down the MLServer PC when you leave home for the weekend, vacation, or any extended trip and still have your lights work as if you were home.

-T.Wells

wireless

Postby wireless » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:06 am

Is the ISY/ISY plugin any better at keeping light status correctly in sync?

I've installed quite a few PLC/SDM and PLM systems and although neither combination works perfectly, the PLC seems to work better than the PLM through Mainlobby.

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:33 am

wireless wrote:Is the ISY/ISY plugin any better at keeping light status correctly in sync?

The plug-in is no better or worse than the ISY. The ISY is really good about sending status information when it has it.

However, the ISY is probably no better or worse at keeping track of the device status than anything else. It really depends on the device configuration and the quality of the communications.

What the ISY does provide is a very easy and reliable way to do the device configuration and do it correctly**. So by having the device configuration correct, they are more likely to stay in sync.

** There are other benefits to using the ISY too.
--
Bob

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:43 pm

ISY with appropriate config / programming also helps overcome sync problems.

It can poll as often as you like (not a great idea if you have a large network), and you can have it verify / set states as you see fit.

As stated, the plugin mirrors ISY; so if ISY is accurate, so is ML.

Some of the neat stuff that FINALLY works with ISY: Keypad lights that ACCURATELY (gasp!) reflect state / status of groups of devices and/or security system functions.

I have KPL buttons on multiple keypads that reflect the following states (accurately, consistently, and simultaneously):
- upstairs lights
- downstairs lights
- main floor lights
- outside lights
- garage doors (main and side, open / closed)
- individual bath / bedroom lights

The cool thing here is that even when there's a group of two or twelve lights, if I say "any ONE light in that group constitutes an ON state for these status lights" it works as expected. Any one light in that floor or room turns on and the status light turns on. Hit the status button and they all turn off. No more "out of sync".

This extends well with the ELK: if a status light is ON, then disable the motion actions in a zone; if a zone is violated, turn a status light ON.

Very cool stuff.

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:04 pm

Another great feature I now use extensively is programs. For instance, the ISY senses (much like other plugins) the difference between fast_on and fast_off (double click paddle).

Now, next to my wife's side of bed is a KPL (K.I.S.S. principle here) so she can turn off the fan at night and do an all lights out button ...

Anyway, I just have a switchlinc, but I like to turn on the fan after she goes to sleep. I just attach a program to the fast_off that turns on the fan scene (not just the fan or else her KPL button is not on and when she wakes up and hits it the first time it would do nothing) and if the fan is on, turns it off.

Works like a charm without having to do any cinemar programming, yet because the ISY module I wrote that works like bob's is getting all status updates, Mainlobby always has the correct status.

The ISY make Insteon very useable and much more "foolproof" because of how well it does the linking.

jeffx
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Cinemar needs your feedback on Insteon

Postby jeffx » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:09 pm

Anything new on this? What is the current status of the Cinemar Insteon plugin? My HA server hard drive died this week, so I am about to embark upon a fresh rebuild of everything. Previously had HAL2000 controlling insteon, but considering going to a Main Lobby only setup. I do have Houselinc2 and the newer PLM.
HAL2000 - JRMC 11 - ML3 - MuL3 - NetRemote Pro 1 - Insteon - M-Audio Delta 410 - Sonic Impact T-Amps - Honeywell Security

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:22 pm

I would say your best Insteon strategy would be to purchase an ISY hardware interface and use Bob's MLISY plugin. That seems to have the current highest satisfaction of all ML Insteon solutions.

There are also the MLInsteonPLM plugin and the MLLighting (with Insteon driver) options as well. I personally use the MLInsteonPLM.

kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kevind » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:56 pm

here is my 2 cents. Insteon is not worth it. Ater using and installing this for 2 years I finally gave up and went with Vanatage. Night and Day. We were constantly having 20%+ failure rates in hardware, prgraming that takes me only a few hours with Vantage took days and sometimes weeks with Intseon. It's flaky and poor hardware quality. The feature set and look are great though.....too bad but as an installer we lost money on every single Insteon install.

jeffx
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jeffx » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:02 pm

Unfortunately my HA budget has dried up, so I have to work with what I have already:

Insteon
HAL2000
Mainlobby
HouseLinc II

Thanks for the feedback.
HAL2000 - JRMC 11 - ML3 - MuL3 - NetRemote Pro 1 - Insteon - M-Audio Delta 410 - Sonic Impact T-Amps - Honeywell Security

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:55 pm

kevind wrote:here is my 2 cents. Insteon is not worth it. Ater using and installing this for 2 years I finally gave up and went with Vanatage. Night and Day. We were constantly having 20%+ failure rates in hardware, prgraming that takes me only a few hours with Vantage took days and sometimes weeks with Intseon. It's flaky and poor hardware quality. The feature set and look are great though.....too bad but as an installer we lost money on every single Insteon install.

I could not agree more - It looked great at first but ended up being more trouble that even X-10. I as Kevin said also gave up. I now only offer either Vantage (my favorite) or HAI/UPB. I am starting to kick the tires on the whole ZIgbee movement, but that is still going in several directions.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Nexus

Postby Nexus » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:03 pm

jeffx wrote:Anything new on this? What is the current status of the Cinemar Insteon plugin? My HA server hard drive died this week, so I am about to embark upon a fresh rebuild of everything. Previously had HAL2000 controlling insteon, but considering going to a Main Lobby only setup. I do have Houselinc2 and the newer PLM.

I would recommend the ISY 99i as well, especially if you have more than 10 Insteon devices. It truly makes Insteon usable, easy to configure and control. Best Insteon investment I've made.

Return to “Insteon”