MLInsteonPLM Poll

Is the MLInsteonPLM plugin ready for production release?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:59 am

Yes - It is working for me and should for others
30%
No - It needs some additional work - Details provided
50%
Yes - It can be released to production, but still should have some additional work done - Details provided
20%

Total votes: 10

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

MLInsteonPLM Poll

Postby DavidL » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:56 am

Is the MLInsteonPLM plugin ready for production?

If not, what needs to be fixed, what feature needs to be added?

Is there enough documentation? If not, what needs to be added / changed? (feel free to contribute to it)

Note that this poll is not for the MLLighting PLM device driver (totally different plugin that also supports the Insteon PLM hardware)

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:18 pm

I'll test it again before replying. Groups not working right and no response to input from KPLs kept pushing me back to MLLighting / PLC. Will re-test.

SparkyD

Groups need some more work

Postby SparkyD » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:29 am

I am having trouble figuring out exactly how to form groups in this plugin. I really wish there was a way to drag and drop devices into groups in this plugin, similar to what I saw in MLLighting. Maybe it's just me, but I don't feel this plugin is as user friendly as it could be. Reliability seems good, I never lose communication or anything of that sort. My 2 cents, thanks.

cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby cborod » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:50 am

Mu response is a qualified yes based only on my experience with the plm and the plug-in. I was using the plc and am pleased with the changes made to my system when I dropped the plc in favor of the plm.

Qualifiers.

I do not have a complicated setup.

I rely on most automated commands and timers originating at the HAI/Omni II panel.

I do find that the features I utilize within the PLM work reliably.
ChrisB

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:10 pm

The documentation needs to be revisited.

In particular, I think users will need step-by-step guides on how to perform basic tasks as well as group management.

The plug-in is flexible, but because of the numerous options, it can be confusing as well.

1. Adding a device
2. Adding a controller
3. Adding a group
4. Migrating from MLLighting Insteon PLC control
5. Advanced linking (virtual two- and three-way configurations)
- Brandon
My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

antem

Yes - Groups still unclear

Postby antem » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:20 pm

I also need to re-test for group maintenance. The PLM is working great for me now (especially after the last update) but I wasn't able to get the devices to add to the group I selected on the initial install.

JaySway

Postby JaySway » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:44 pm

I agree with Brandon on the issue of documentation. Working through the Wiki was enough to get me started but I feel woefully unprepared to attempt to use the plugin to capacity.

Jay

chrismd77
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chrismd77 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:54 am

I also agree with a lot of the comments made above. I have been having great success with controlling one or two single lights but from there I have been having a number of problems

- Status update from the light to the PLM plug-in is spotty. Sometimes it will update the variable and sometimes not. It normally will not update the variable when I turn a number of lights on or off very quickly.

- I have not been able to add any groups other than group 1?

- I do not know how to set up a multi switch light. All throughout my house I have 2, 3 and 4 way switches. How do I set these up in the plug-in so when any of the lights in that switch set are turned on they report back to the plug-in correctly and the plug-in sets the rest of the lights to that value. This was a huge problem with the PLC plug-in and why I have moved to the PLM but it seems I am having the same problem.

I am very excited in getting this part of my system up and running :)

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:24 am

I voted no, here's why.

My opinion is that the plug-in should provide complete link management for Insteon devices. I realize this is a very large and difficult task, but other home automation products can do this.

Until I can fully manage everything, what's the point of me moving from my existing solution that is working and does let me manage all my device links? As an example, I have one failed and maybe two more possibly failing switches. The failed device is probably linked with at least 4 other devices. With my current software, I'll replace the device ID and start an update, eventually all the devices that need to be updated will be. I don't have to know what links existed and I don't have run around tapping buttons.

However, I don't see any reason why there couldn't be a solid roadmap with multiple releases along the way. The first release may not do everything but it should be documented as to what features will be expected in each release.
--
Bob

bjdraw

Postby bjdraw » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:20 am

I haven't tested in some time, so before I voted I wanted to use the latest build.

the problem is my temp key expired and I emailed dave at cinemaronline.com requesting a new key on the 9th, and I haven't received a response.
Ben Drawbaugh
How good can it be, if it isn't HD?

Return to “Insteon”