MainLobby Error "ERROR ACCESSING THE OLE REGISTRY"

Please post general questions about MainLobby here
cpepin

MainLobby Error "ERROR ACCESSING THE OLE REGISTRY"

Postby cpepin » Tue May 23, 2006 9:35 am

I'm testing the software now, basic opening and exploring. But when I try to open up MainLobby I get an error msg "ERROR ACCESSING THE OLE REGISTRY". Please.....Help me to understand what this mean towards this software. :(

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue May 23, 2006 9:49 am

Hi Claude,
Are you installing the Demo? There is a Microsoft recent service pack that may have created issues with Flash. They are trying to get themselves out of a legal jamb and put some silly stuff in their updates that broke a whole bumch of stuff. DaveP posted what the service pack was to remove. Longer term fix has to be evaluated.

Dave's note:
"I would highly suspect a recent Microsoft update that is causing the problem. The last IE security rollup is really nasty in that it does all sorts of strange things with ActiveX controls. I've personally have had to remove "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB912812)" from all of my Windows PCs just to get normal functionality back. Do you notice strange yellow outlines on ActiveX components, especially Flash objects, in your web pages? Thank this upgrade for that. There is an even more restrictive IE security update coming from Microsoft in the June updates.

Just in general check your Internet options regularly. Microcoft updates have a tendency to turn things on and off at whim just because Microsoft thinks it's better for you. You have have cookies disabled."

Another possibility is in the last messages in this thread:
http://www.cinemaronlineforums.com/foru ... 0&start=15
which involves changing the file association for a mls file.

Please let us know if either fixes the issue as it isn't something that Cinemar has duplicated and are looking for the rhyme / reason on how it occurs.

Thanx

cpepin

Postby cpepin » Tue May 23, 2006 11:30 am

By changing the file association for a mls file, everything worked when the file was executed from the cinemar folder. So I had to delete MainLobby desktop shortcut due to the fact that it was non - functional and replace it from the cinemar folder. I'm good for now and will continue testing. Thanx. :D

cpepin

MLserver help guide

Postby cpepin » Wed May 24, 2006 4:22 pm

When I'm in the MLserver app, if I click on the help? it gives me the user guide for the main lobby. Do I need to go somewhere else to get this guide? :)

corlessm

I have a fix and have tested it

Postby corlessm » Fri May 26, 2006 6:11 pm

Hi Gang,

I have a fix for this problem however it needs to be documented to show the steps as it requires you to change permissions in your registery. I will have it up this weekend some time. :D

Mark
mark@automatedliving.com.au

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Fri May 26, 2006 6:28 pm

Anxiously awaiting fix for this...

Edit: removing KB912812 fixed it for me.
Last edited by jpimentel on Fri May 26, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

John

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri May 26, 2006 6:48 pm

Mark let me know what you have discovered and I'll roll it into the installers for the product.

corlessm

How to resolve the Permission Problem

Postby corlessm » Sat May 27, 2006 1:19 am

Hi Gang,
As promise here is the fix to resolve the problem that was created by the installation of MS patches, for a quick fix see below link to zip file however for people that would like more information like Dave please read details below (hope this is ok Dave)

:D Quick Fix
If you just after the end result you can download and run the file from here: www.automatedliving.com.au/mainlobby/fix/regfix.zip You need to run the reset.cmd file, its best to do this in DOS so you can see any end error messages.

:shock: Full Details
The underlying problem is that the Administrators rights and access permission have been removed to some of the registry keys under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT on your machine.

When MainLobby tries to access the register type libraries, it fails because due to lack of permissions ("error accessing the OLE registry"), I have been able to confirm this using a problem called RegMon (http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/regmon.html) and filter by ACCESS DENIED.

Below are the steps needed to resolve the permissions problem with Mainlobby, note you need to have Admin Permission in order for this to work.

1. Download the SubInACL tool from the Microsoft site (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en) and install it. By default it will install to c:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools
2. Go to the Start menu, choose Run and type cmd
3. Type cd /d %ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools to change directories to the folder that SubInACL is installed to
4. Type notepad reset.cmd and press yes to create a new file named reset.cmd in c:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools
5. Copy and paste the following contents into reset.cmd and then save and close it
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f
6. Type reset.cmd and press enter to run the SubInACL tool (you will need to have adminstrator privileges for this to run correctly). This tool will take several minutes to run
7. After reset.cmd completes, try to run Mainlobby again
You should now be running Mainlobby.

Hope this helps out guys, sorry its a bit of a long post but wanted to cover as many possible questions as possible.

Good Luck
Mark

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Sat May 27, 2006 8:43 am

Well done. Very thorough. Thanks to you.
Regards,

John

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:14 pm

I was updating a Samsung Q1 and ran into the OLE Registry access problem.
First thing I did was uninstall the Win Update. No change.
Then, did the file association of .mls to mainlobby.exe. No change.
Then, did rest of Windows Updates and noticed that the offending update wasn't listed...not hidden either. So, who knows where it went.

Finally, I did corlessm's Long fix (the Short fix download website was down) which resolved the issue.

Thanx corlessm!

lyfelyte

Postby lyfelyte » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:55 pm

Had the exact same problem and ran the suggested fix. Loads fine now. Thanks.

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Re: How to resolve the Permission Problem

Postby jpimentel » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:46 am

corlessm wrote::D Quick Fix
If you just after the end result you can download and run the file from here: www.automatedliving.com.au/mainlobby/fix/regfix.zip You need to run the reset.cmd file, its best to do this in DOS so you can see any end error messages.

Thanks again for this fix. It saved the day (again)
Regards,

John

edweird

Postby edweird » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:19 pm

I saw the error this week installing ML3 on a tablet PC that had ML2 on it.

I installed, removed a couple times, rebooted and removed Flash too, and then reinstalled. I got the error, but ML3 loaded a MLS and it's been working fine since.

Ed
ML, MLHS, Homeseer 2, HSP, X10, W800, Veo and Toshiba IP cams, Planar touchscreens

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:14 pm

I spent some time this evening looking at this issue. In my experiments I tracked the issue to a specific Microsoft security update. The resolution does not involve changing the registry.

I've repeated this three times all with the same result so I think we have a solution.

First. I installed a clean copy of Windows XP with SP2. Then ran every possible Windows update there was. A total of 58 updates for my sample PC. I left the machine in a Workgroup and logged in as the local administrator.

I installed MainLobby 3.0.11. It installed fine but when I tried to launch MainLobby I was presented with the OLE Registry error.

The source of the error is Microsoft Security Update KB913433. See security bulletin "MS06-020: Vulnerabilities in Macromedia Flash Player from Adobe could allow remote code execution"

In short. Microsoft automatically installs a copy of Flash Player version 6 when you do a fresh install of Windows XP. Microsoft has determined that there is a severe security issue with this version of the player. So on May 11th, 2006 they released this security update. The update essentially disables the Flash 6 player that was installed.

Error resolution.

Fixing the issue is straight forward. First get rid of the old flash player and then install the new flash 9 player from Adobe. To do this do the following:
Download and run the Flash uninstaller:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgeb ... d=tn_14157

You could also try doing this manually:
1) Close all running applications
2) Delete all the files and/or folders in the C:\Windows\System32\Macromed folder.

Reinstall Flash:
1) Install the Flash 9 player. (A copy is attached to this message)
2) Reboot your PC.
3) OLE registry issue is gone.

There is no need to run the long and involved registry fix program once the new flash player is installed.

Please try this on your PCs to make sure this isn't just an anomaly for my systems. Let me know how it works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anoldman

Postby anoldman » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:26 pm

Nope, didn't work.

Brand New XPSP2 install. ->fixing crashed machine.

Even tried uninstalling, deleting directory, reboot, re-install, re-boot.

Still didn't work.

Running the VERY scary registry hack from above... 43000 keys modified! Yikes!

That fixed it though.

Next error: File not found - slinkc.ocx (I think that's what it said)

Alt-F4 to kill program 'cuz whenever it starts with a message it isn't full screen and buttons don't work.... restart - no error....

I just love computers sometimes :P

Return to “MainLobby Questions & Answers”