Controlling Tivo and Playstation3

Please post general questions about MainLobby here
randyf

Controlling Tivo and Playstation3

Postby randyf » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:57 pm

How are folks controlling Tivo devices (specifically a Roamio) and a PS3? I'm just starting working on getting this done. I'm starting with the Tivo and looking at using the Global Cache Driver and using the IR Database approach. I've tried a few of the different Tivo codesets in the IR database but it doesn't seem that all of the commands are getting processed correctly. For example, I'm having some issues with the up/down selection arrows not working. I've also tried to use the learning mode to capture the values from the remote (using a Tivo Mini remote since the Roamio is an RF remote) but haven't been successful yet. Is this the right direction for this and I just need to muscle thru this to get it working? Or is there another way of doing this?

For the PS3, the remote is Bluetooth, and I have the old Logitech Harmony Adapter for the PS3. Can that be used with the IR Database approach and if so, any suggestions on what codeset to use? Or is there a different way of controlling the PS3?

Thanks

tmcgowan

Re: Controlling Tivo and Playstation3

Postby tmcgowan » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:10 pm

I've been using the Global Cache approach and have also had some problems with the IR commands occurring too fast. I solved it by adding a Pause|.5 command within the macro and between TiVo commands so that it had a chance to digest them. It works, but I'd prefer a direct IP command structure in the long-run!

I hope this helps!

-Todd

randyf

Postby randyf » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:11 am

Thanks for the advice Todd, I will give this a try. Agree that having an IP way of controlling this would be nice but I think that is more up to Tivo at this point.

Randy

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:51 am

We have a Tivo driver that's never been released. Been waiting for someone to test it. I'll get it released today. It uses IP Control so you'll have to enable IP control in the Tivo as it is disabled by default.

The attached zip file contains IR codes that I used for another customer who wanted to control the PS3. He had a RE·BL X - Infrared to Bluetooth® wireless converter for the PS3 and the spreedsheet contains the Pronto codes that can be used in the Global Cache driver.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tmcgowan

Postby tmcgowan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:04 am

That's GREAT NEWS!

Thanks Dave!

-Todd

randyf

Postby randyf » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:43 am

This is great news Dave! I will download the driver once its available and start testing.

Thanks

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:27 pm

Tivo Driver is released. You'll have to let me know if it works as I cannot test it here.

Add it as a new Family Manager AV device. Set the IP Address for the box and use the Default Port. Content Manager will have the commands.

To enable networked remote control on your TiVo DVR:
1. Go to TiVo Central > Messages & Settings > Settings > Remote, CableCARD & Devices > Network Remote Control.
2. Choose Enabled.
3. Press Select.

The protocol document does not describe any feedback coming from the Tivo so this version does not create any of the typical variables you are used to. You'll have to capture the Tivo events to a file and then we can see what it sends back over time to see if there is any interesting data in the stream.

tmcgowan

Postby tmcgowan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:00 pm

Dave,

It works great!

Thanks!

-Todd

randyf

Postby randyf » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:19 pm

I've got the Tivo driver configured and testing thru Command Builder has been good so far. Now I just need to build a Tivo scenario and hook things up that way.

Thanks again for releasing the driver Dave!

sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby sonypoolplr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:59 pm

I haven't tried it yet, but can the Tivo plugin be adapted to allow DVDLobby movies play through the Tivo, if it doesn't already do this?

Thanks

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:17 pm

I have no experience with a TIVO but if it shows up on the network as a DLNA Media Renderer device then it should be possible to stream movies directly to it using the MediaServer/MediaPlayer driver combo.

tmcgowan

Postby tmcgowan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:44 pm

Unfortunately, TiVos don't show up as a DLNA device. I have 5 TiVos including a Romeo and although my network scanning tools can identify them without any problem, accessing them is a different story. Dave's TiVo plug in works great at controlling the basic functions, which is all I was interested in, but TiVo's proprietary technology prevents using it to show anything other than TiVo recorded movies or its own plugins from You Tube, etc.

Dave, I'd be happy to provide you with the model numbers and TeamView access if you want to do your magic and add this functionality. I'd like to reduce the number of movie streaming devices as much as possible. I currently use your plug in to control one Dune player and would love to decommission my NEOTV units.

Best regards,

Todd

sonypoolplr

Postby sonypoolplr » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:34 pm

I am trying to setup this plugin/driver and I am getting the following error:

PopulateDevices - Error at PopulateDevices at line #187 - ExecuteReader: Connection property has not been initialized.

I made sure the network remote control is enabled.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:16 pm

Another instance of some V3 plugin written in VB6 breaking a V4 driver written in C#. Install the Tivo driver I just released and the problem should go away.

sonypoolplr

Postby sonypoolplr » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:47 pm

I installed the new version and it appears to be working OK, but this error came up:

tcp_Data - Error at tcp_Data at line #329 - The given key was not present in the dictionary.

Return to “MainLobby Questions & Answers”