Can Main Lobby display on TV screen like Netflix

Please post general questions about MainLobby here
NotBananas

Can Main Lobby display on TV screen like Netflix

Postby NotBananas » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:28 pm

Before I spend a large amount of time configuring and setting up Main Lobby, can it display the movies and be able to select them from my TV screen like Netflix or Amazon Prime? I have DLNA setup in my whole house and currently using Serviio which works great, but it can't display a menu screen like Netflix and can only see title names always alphabetically on the screen. I want to be able to choose the movie with a click of my remote, look at the cover art and synopsis, etc.

I know I can do that through a tablet, etc. but I need it to be able to emulate Netflix or Amazon Prime so I can use the TV screen with my remote.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can Main Lobby display on TV screen like Netflix

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:43 am

Yes, we have a special 16x9 version of the MainLobby scenes that works in conjunction with a Windows media center remote that allows you to browse all your movies on the TV screen then select and watch them.

This youtube video will show you an example of one of the available interfaces.

NotBananas

Postby NotBananas » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:04 pm

WOW! The youtube video is amazing and exactly what I wanted. I searched your website but I couldn't find where the MainLobby scenes are. Could you please give me the link.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:14 pm

If you want to use these scenes on a PC connected to the TV. Then install the MainLobby sample scenes. Change the content folder to the Cinemar\Content\V4_16x9 folder. The main scene to open is the Movies_Thumbs_Browse.mls file. These scenes assume a display of 1920x1080. If your TV is a different resolution then you will have to adjust the scaling in the MainLobby client. You will also need to install the "MainLobby MCE Agent" found in section E) in the Installation assistant. After you do that launch MainLobby and you will be able to navigate the scenes using the MCE remote control. The primary buttons you will use are the 4 cursor keys, the Ok/Enter button and the back button.

NotBananas

Postby NotBananas » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks for the info Dave.

I think I missed a crucial part in my original question: can this be done through my HTPC using DLNA to get the same results as Netflix? I assumed it could since Netflix is through my DLNA via my HTPC.
If it can't be done, it won't work because my PC is about 75ft. from my TV and running a HDMI or a PC video cable to the HT room is out of the question.

The only other alternative I have is to get a 2nd HTPC dedicated as a media server in my HT room, so I can use an HDMI cable (my PC video card has a mini HDMI output) so length won't be an issue. My Sharp 80" TV has a 1920 x 1080 resolution screen.

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:25 pm

How expandable is this? Last time I played with this it seemed that the overall interface was not too changeable.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:53 pm

Depends what you mean by expandable. The scenes are designed for DVDLobby and movie control. In that context they are 100% customizable. If you are looking for remote control of something else then we'd need to know what you are looking for.

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:23 pm

I think the latter. To create a complete user interface non DVDLOBBY centric using MCE remote control at one point I was thinking of creating a set of scenes to display status of house, weather, security, and such using the MCE remote and it didn't seem too expandable at that time.

Things are going ways of tablets, but it would have been cool to be able to define scenes using MCE remote control rather than touch...

Return to “MainLobby Questions & Answers”