Moving ML to a new PC

Please post general questions about MainLobby here
ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Moving ML to a new PC

Postby ronsatter » Tue May 07, 2013 10:16 pm

Dave,

I know there are posts about how to do this, but I can't find them. I need to move ML4 and the Designer to another PC. Windows 7. I have done the obvious, copy the Cinemar folder and all it's contents to the new PC. I also copied the latest backup zips of ML4. Do I need to do a fresh install to the new PC using the Installation Assistant? That would make sense. Is there is a wiki link with steps for the transfer?

Thanks,

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Moving ML to a new PC

Postby CinemarDave » Wed May 08, 2013 10:43 am

You need to go through a regular install of all the core products before restoring the old environment. This is to make sure all the support objects get registered properly. Steps are

1) Install the Installation assistant.
2) Go through the normal prerequisites install. .Net 4 and SQL.
3) Install MLServer and make sure it fires up.
4) Unzip your latest backup and extract the SQL server backup file and put it in the MLServer\Backups folder. (Any folder will do)
5) Run MLServer and do a database restore. Select the backup file you unzipped in step 4. (Note: At this point in time you do not have any V4 Apps or Drivers installed. This is the state you want it to be in.)
6) Stop MLServer and unzip all the remaining backup files overwriting everything that might already be there.
7) Install the remaining Apps and Drivers you need.
8) Restart MLServer and verify all is well.
9) Go into MLServer licensing and if the Activation codes are hosed because of the CPU change delete all the existing Activation codes and issue a new activation request for everything.

Return to “MainLobby Questions & Answers”