My solution to the Elite Screen IR Control Problem.

Kias

My solution to the Elite Screen IR Control Problem.

Postby Kias » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:21 pm

As you may or may not know, there seems to be a problem with the IR controller for some of the Elite Electric Screens. The problem is, the IR codes can not be learned by the USBUIRT, or any other learning remotes. There have been a few people that have succesfully trained other remotes, and therefore have trained the USBUIRT with said remote. However, all attempts made by me using any number of suggestions have failed. So, here's the solution I came up with.

The screen also comes with an RF remote that works great! (The IR remote that comes with it, works most of the time, but not all of the time.)

So, I purchased the ICI1C from Ramsey Electronics. This is an infra red switch control interface. It will learn any IR command, and use that command to turn on and off a relay. The relays can also be set to be momentary on also, which is the mode I used. I received the kit and assembled it, then I tore apart the RF Remote for the screen, and connected some wires to the up and down buttons, then ran those wires to the ICI1C kit relays, effectively making it a remote button push via the IR Controller kit. I taught the ICI1C 2 IR commands from my regular IR Remote (2 buttons that weren't being used for anything else) Then I taught MLUSBUIRT the same two buttons. (One for Up Screen, and one for Down Screen. I'm not using the stop screen command.) Then I set up Mainlobby to use those two commands, and have the screen going up and down from the touch screen. Sounds a bit confusing, but it's really not. Plus I still have two unused relays for future use. I'm so geeked right now. (Can I still say that in the 2000's?) Just thought I'd pass this along if anyone else is having problems controlling this screen. There's a few pictures below.

Here's the completed controller on the right, and the RF Remote for the Elite Screen on the left. I'm not going into great detail how to do this, as the buttons on the remote are surface mounted and you really should know what you're doing if you're going to go this route.

Here's the completed kit in the case, and the remote is back together.

Here's the back, with the 2 open relay contacts for future use.

Well, that's it! I got my screen to go up and down without using a remote, so I'm now officially happy. Maybe this might help someone, somewhere, at sometime.

You could also use this kit to control other things that need an on or off... The four relays are rated to 3 amps each.

Have fun!!

Rob

P.S. If you can happen to read the temperature on the soldering iron, please don't solder at this temperature... (Odds are you'll burn up some components.) I'm a trained professional. No, really I am! I troubleshoot and repair circuit boards everyday at work! ...and I think the definition of a "Pro" is when one gets paid for what they do. Or something like that. :?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:33 pm

Neat solution Rob!
Thanx for sharing it.

Kias

Postby Kias » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:27 pm

If anyone else builds this thing, don't install the speaker! That thing is annoying! Now I must operate on mine. It chirps anytime a IR signal is emitted from anywhere in the room! It appears to be rather sensitive! It even picks up IR bounced off my dark red walls... Most of my components won't even do that.

Return to “USBUIRT”