Why is so difficult to learn IR codes for Macros?

bjdraw

Why is so difficult to learn IR codes for Macros?

Postby bjdraw » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:46 pm

I didn't have any problems using my USBUIRT with ML to learn all the buttons on my remotes, and I use all the codes with almost 100% success.

But when I try to learn commands to use to kick off macros I am having the hardest time. The command length seems so much shorter for kicking off macros than for learning.

Why isn't the process the same? I just spent like two hours playing with codes on my TiVo remote to try to find a code that would work most of the time. The best I was able to do was get it to work about 75% of the time, which sucks when it doesn't work.
Ben Drawbaugh
How good can it be, if it isn't HD?

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:14 am

Ben,

Not sure i follow, but make sure you are learning your remote commands one at a time, and then sending out as a macro from MLServer.

Don't try learning a sequence of IR commands into the USBUIRT.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

MurrayW
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Re: Why is so difficult to learn IR codes for Macros?

Postby MurrayW » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:27 pm

bjdraw wrote:I didn't have any problems using my USBUIRT with ML to learn all the buttons on my remotes, and I use all the codes with almost 100% success.

But when I try to learn commands to use to kick off macros I am having the hardest time. The command length seems so much shorter for kicking off macros than for learning.

Why isn't the process the same? I just spent like two hours playing with codes on my TiVo remote to try to find a code that would work most of the time. The best I was able to do was get it to work about 75% of the time, which sucks when it doesn't work.
Ben, That seems strange -- I have had more problems learning the long IR codes than the short commands for sending the long IR codes.

However, I did have a problem with my LCD TV emitting extraneous IR signals while trying to learn the remote codes. I could just sit there in the learn mode and watch the codes change 3 or 4 time per second. Once I got that resolved (I used a piece of tape over the USB-UIRT window to make it less sensitive) I had no problems.

It could be fluorescent lights or other sources causing the problem as well. Another time my USB-UIRT was picking up the IR signal being sent from my Fujitsu 3500X tablet and causing problems until I turned off the IR port on the 3500X.

Good luck,
Murray

bjdraw

Postby bjdraw » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:52 pm

Sorry about the confusion, I did a terrible job of explaining my problem

My main touchscreen is used for most of my controls (thats the plan anyways) but I want to be able to use a hard button remote for everyday surfing etc. So my plan is to use the programmable buttons (pwr, mute, vol, input) on my Series3 TiVo remotes to kick off events. When you configure these events in USB-UIRT plug-in they are called macros.

The macros learn box is only like 16 characters long compared to the regular ir code box which is at least 10x that size. So when I hit the button on the TiVo remote the IR code changes a few times, cause the code doesn't fit in the space provided.

The only way I've been able to get it to work is to keep trying to program the TiVo remote to control various devices I don't really own, trying to find one that I can use to consistently kick off events with USB-UIRT.

My question was why the learning method wasn't the same for kicking off events as it was for learning device functions.
Ben Drawbaugh

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:05 pm

bjdraw wrote:Sorry about the confusion, I did a terrible job of explaining my problem

My main touchscreen is used for most of my controls (thats the plan anyways) but I want to be able to use a hard button remote for everyday surfing etc. So my plan is to use the programmable buttons (pwr, mute, vol, input) on my Series3 TiVo remotes to kick off events. When you configure these events in USB-UIRT plug-in they are called macros.

The macros learn box is only like 16 characters long compared to the regular ir code box which is at least 10x that size. So when I hit the button on the TiVo remote the IR code changes a few times, cause the code doesn't fit in the space provided.

The only way I've been able to get it to work is to keep trying to program the TiVo remote to control various devices I don't really own, trying to find one that I can use to consistently kick off events with USB-UIRT.

My question was why the learning method wasn't the same for kicking off events as it was for learning device functions.
Actually, you did a great job of explaining it (to me at least) -- I understood it! :)

This may be stuff you already know, but just in case...
Is your remote sending multiple codes while you hold the button down? To learn the code for the event, you don't need to hold the button down as long as you do to learn the long IR code. Just a quick button press like you would normally do on the remote to control your TiVo will do it.

Here's an example of what I have for the Channel Up button for my HR10-250 DirecTiVo:

IR Code (I placed a break in the code to make it more readable):

Code: Select all

F42R037A815680AB153F1515153F1515151515151515153F1515151515151515153F153F151515151515153F153F153F153F1515151515151515151
5151515151515153F153F153F15

I have a MLUSBUIRT macro named HR10-250~ChannelUp. The 12 character IR event code that I learned is:

4348001154F5
and the associated macro is:

SENDIR~HR10-250~ChannelUp

So whenever I press the ChannelUp button on my remote, the USB-UIRT receives 4348001154F5 which triggers the HR10-250~ChannelUp macro which in turn sends the long IR code that tells my STB to move up one channel. The same thing happens on my touchscreen where I have a Channel Up button with this in the command line: SENDIR~HR10-250~ChannelUp.

My guess as to why you might be having a hard time is that your remote is not consistenly sending the correct command (maybe it sends it initially then sends a "repeat" command or something that is different) or there is something else transmitting extraneous IR signals to your USB-UIRT.

One more thing. When you learn the long IR code, the remote must be within a few inches of the USB-UIRT. To learn the Event codes, it doesn't need to be this close and in fact, I got better results when the remote was farther away. I programmed all my EVENT codes from my couch about 8 feet way from where the USB-UIRT was mounted to the TV.

Good luck!
Murray

randy h

Postby randy h » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:49 pm

Hi Murray,

I am not myself having any IR problems right now, but I stumbled onto this thread and just wnated to say that your response was very well written and quite informative.

I wonder if there is a Wiki spot for your great info.

randy

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:27 pm

Good idea Randy, I added it to the Wiki for the USB_UIRT.

bjdraw

Postby bjdraw » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:23 pm

MurrayW wrote:My guess as to why you might be having a hard time is that your remote is not consistenly sending the correct command (maybe it sends it initially then sends a "repeat" command or something that is different) or there is something else transmitting extraneous IR signals to your USB-UIRT.

One more thing. When you learn the long IR code, the remote must be within a few inches of the USB-UIRT. To learn the Event codes, it doesn't need to be this close and in fact, I got better results when the remote was farther away. I programmed all my EVENT codes from my couch about 8 feet way from where the USB-UIRT was mounted to the TV.

I am also sitting on the couch as compared to when learning the other codes within a few inches from the device. I also have flasher IR emitters so I can usually tell when there is some other device emitting. This is exactly the problem I am having, the remote is not sending a consistent code, but it depends on the device it is trying to be. I went through and tried to program the power button on the remote with at least 20 differnt brand TVs to find one that the USB-UIRT would consistently see the same 12 character IR event code. It took me forever to find one, cause after I did power then I moved on to mute, volup etc, and had the hardest time finding one that did it 100% of the time. I finally settled for 75% and told my wife to keep hitting the button if it didn't work the first time. This is obviously less than ideal, is there any way to make the TiVo remote send out a consistent code that the USB-UIRT can use to kick off my events.

Thanks
Ben Drawbaugh

randy h

Postby randy h » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:14 pm

You have probably already tried this, but are your batteries fresh in the remote?

randy

bjdraw

Postby bjdraw » Mon May 05, 2008 6:00 pm

I'm still having this problem and am convinced it will never be fixed.

I simply can not understand why I have no problem learning a IR signal to use to emmit, but ones used to create macros are nearly impossible.
Ben Drawbaugh

Return to “USBUIRT”