Sony Digital Living System

egamez

Sony Digital Living System

Postby egamez » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:16 am

Hi Folks

Have any of you tried or is there anyone controlling from ML the Sony 200 DVD changer which comes bundled with the Digital Living System

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSH ... =computers

Thanks in advance

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:08 am

No, we considered it, but it seems like not the best quality product. I have gone into multiple retail stores to give it a whirl, and non of them had it working due to some issue. Not very good reports on AVSForum on the system either. Good idea, maybe not so good implementation.

Prices have been dropping significantly on the system. Pretty decent "deal" if it worked and was decent quality. Fit and finish seems off the mark as well. Very plasticy.

Maybe next time.

bwally
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby bwally » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:17 am

well, cheap looking or not, i think a lot of people will be looking to integrate VIIV enabled TV's, DVD players, remote controls and all sorts of home appliances and electronics in a year from now.
another steve

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:12 am

bwally, I agree, but don't think this is the product that will do it.

sfreiman
Expert
Expert

Postby sfreiman » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:42 am

IMHO, the way to go if you are going Sony is with separate components/changers like I did. This set up rocks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

digitaltrader

Postby digitaltrader » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:06 pm

Does that 200 sony changer allow you to do automated ripping to the computer? If so it would be worth the price to rip 200 dvd's at a time to the HDD. I could do my entire collection with just 4 swaps of the player. Anyone know the answer to this question?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:41 pm

It is probably possible to build a changer driver for this unit to do this. We originally looked at this unit to assist CD ripping (as DVD ripping is not legal). But with the workload where it is at, that will be a ways off and I suspect this thing will be replaced by then.
i haven't found a protocol for this unit yet, but haven't looked real hard yet either. If anyone has found a doc, let us know and that might speed things along.

snoots

Changer Now Available As A Separate

Postby snoots » Wed May 10, 2006 3:02 pm

The 200 disc firewire player / recorder is now available by itself. $800 rips cd s and dvds plus grabs artwork. Requires a 2005 MCE OS with Rollup 2. Also mentions it can write to a "set" of multiple DVDs to archive video and data that is too big for a single DVD. Also says it is daisy chainable to allow multiple player/recorders.

mosleyh
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mosleyh » Mon May 15, 2006 12:51 pm

Ok, here's a Good News/Bad News bit of info:

Good News: TigerDirect has the Digital Living System (both pieces) for $1099 including shipping, here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2076126&Tab=0&NoMapp=0

Bad News: Make sure you look at this thread over at AVS before you bite, because all sales are final:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=622069&highlight=vgxxl1

:? good luck :wink:

mediastorm
Developer
Developer

Postby mediastorm » Mon May 15, 2006 1:28 pm

smoothtlk wrote:It is probably possible to build a changer driver for this unit to do this. We originally looked at this unit to assist CD ripping (as DVD ripping is not legal). But with the workload where it is at, that will be a ways off and I suspect this thing will be replaced by then.
i haven't found a protocol for this unit yet, but haven't looked real hard yet either. If anyone has found a doc, let us know and that might speed things along.

The changer is OEMd from Escient and more than likely works with their PowerFile SDK as well. It's a pricey SDK though.

joneah

Sony XL2 Digital Living System

Postby joneah » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:36 pm

I just purchased a new XL2 with the 200 dvd changer. I have been impressed with the changer. I just moved my ML3 server to that computer. I will let you know how it goes.

wireless

Postby wireless » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:16 pm

Well, what did you think?

joneah

Sony XL2

Postby joneah » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:28 pm

I have already returned the whole system. The computer crashed from day 1 (CPU stayed at over 75%). Called Sony and heard every excuse you can image - Preloaded software all had to be disabled, setting must be wrong, etc :(
Finally sent out a "tech", who asked me were the media center was, while looking at it - never seen one before!!!
After 5 weeks of run around, got the store to take it back. The changer worked great when I could keep the computer up and running. But for $2500.00 They can have it. Bottom line, great idea bad product and support.

I ended up going with a custom HTPC from ebay, and a new ReadyNAS for storing all the disk. Hopefully ML3 will get the Media center plugin up and running.

Return to “Sony”