StR-DA9000ES RECEIVER PLUG-INS

chrhzl

StR-DA9000ES RECEIVER PLUG-INS

Postby chrhzl » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:36 pm

Is there anybody know where to get plug-ins for Str-da9000es receiver?
thanks..

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:03 pm

Haven't seen a plugin for that. Is it serial controlled? If you have some time, you might be able to use one of the GenericSerial plugins if it is serial, and if you can get the documentation of the command structure.

chrhzl

Postby chrhzl » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:09 pm

i only have one serial port on my laptop, can i split it for the 777es and 9000es? and yes, 9000es has serial on it. thanks.

chrhzl

Postby chrhzl » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:23 pm

i'm trying MLgeneric serial for my strda 9000es receiver and settings, what should i do then? i'm new at this, i'm at serial port connection settings, am i suppose to send command? and what command? pls help.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:57 pm

If your PC only has one serial port, you cannot use it for two devices. You probably should purchase a USB to serial convertor. Preferably multiple (4 or more) serial ports if this is for a Home Automation PC. Look into Edgeport on Ebay. Great prices for a great adapter.

Did you get the serial control documentation for your device?

sfreiman
Expert
Expert

Postby sfreiman » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:53 pm

Another option: Does your 9000ES have a control A1II like the other Sony receivers? If so, you should be able to control it using a Slink-e.

chrhzl

Postby chrhzl » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:22 am

smoothtlk wrote:If your PC only has one serial port, you cannot use it for two devices. You probably should purchase a USB to serial convertor. Preferably multiple (4 or more) serial ports if this is for a Home Automation PC. Look into Edgeport on Ebay. Great prices for a great adapter.

Did you get the serial control documentation for your device?

Sorry i didn't get what you mean, where do i get that documentation? from the manual? or somewhere from the mlgenericserial? anyway i don't have any documentation with me. Yes, that USB to serial convertor is what i'm using right now and i'll get some more.

chrhzl

Postby chrhzl » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:26 am

sfreiman wrote:Another option: Does your 9000ES have a control A1II like the other Sony receivers? If so, you should be able to control it using a Slink-e.

I don't know what it looks like and I don't remember seeing it from the back of the receiver. I have, I link, Control S, Serial, SDMI.

davevans
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby davevans » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:11 am

You would have to get the documentation for the protocol from Sony, and from past experiences, they are not too willing to give that information out.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:49 pm

That's the funny part - why does Sony (or others) add the cost of a serial interface if they don't tell developers on how to use it? If their strategy is to share only to a couple "key" companies (for fee?) then the customer is paying for something that they can't realistically use.

I guess one could also say that the customer is paying for the feature, and the manufacturer is conciously preventing the customer from getting value from their purchase. Almost like false advertisement.

I have read where there is a recent class action suit against I believe it's Verizon that are reselling "bluetooth" phones from Motorola, but asked Motorola to cripple the bluetooth functionality so that pictures have to be sent via the Cell network to get to your PC, instead of using the free bluetooth radio link direct to the PC. I believe the claim is false advertisement of "bluetooth" without bluetooth functionality.

Isnt' that similar with serial functionality?

You'll probably have to get to second or third level support at Sony with this kind of argument...

chrhzl

Postby chrhzl » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:36 pm

As a matter of fact, I did call them about that serial port and I think everybody is playing dumb about it, they've been passing me around to different person on the phone. I'll call them back thou, I have a case number, we'll see what happen. For now, I'll keep searching, thanks guys.

chris

sfreiman
Expert
Expert

Postby sfreiman » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:38 pm

I'm curious about this too. I have a Sony STR-DE3ES that I have not had out of the box yet to hook up and it has a serial port in addition to the control A1II. I know that on earlier ES receivers, like the 777ES, the serial port was used for software upgrades in the unit.

chrhzl

Postby chrhzl » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:44 pm

I do have A1II on my STR-DA9000ES also as well as serial port, I'm still searching for an answer to use it.

Bizarroterl

Postby Bizarroterl » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:32 pm

I wasted weeks being passed around by Sony on communication parameters and command sets for the STRDA5000/9000ES. Basically Sony advertises "rs232 for control" but will not give out the information. I found it so irritating my 777ES is my last Sony purchase. :evil:

Fortunately I did my research before I purchased a receiver. 8)

chrhzl

Postby chrhzl » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:37 pm

That's what everybody was saying, I already have the receiver and so far I'm enjoying it. I'm thinking by the time I need to use the serial port from 9000ES, the Documentation will be out already. The Remote can control all my audio/video equipments, that's why I don't need most of the softwares and hardwares that everybody was using and topic in this forum. Right now all I need is make my 777es working and thanks to this forum I've learned the basics (so far) to get it going. I still have some questions for this forum and it's posted everywhere. I think it's a great receiver, hope you change your mind. :o

Return to “Sony”