SONY Changers 995 vs. 777es opinions...

windrockwater

SONY Changers 995 vs. 777es opinions...

Postby windrockwater » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:24 am

So I have both of these DVD changers and have been trying to do some A and B comparisons to see which one i should use for my primary changer. I have a Sony VPW100 1080p projector and a pioneer 50" plasma.

I was having some IR issues with controlling the 995 changer but solved them so both changers work well now with ML. The 777ES just responds more quickly and definitely. Essentially, the single discdirect command is more reliable than the macro of IR commands.

However, the 777ES is component only which stinks and to my eyes i see a sharper/brighter picture using the HDMI out (upconverted to 1080i) on the 995 changer. The 777 image is a little soft (as i think my experience has been with all component video connections).

So i like both for different reasons. Also, the 995 allows for simultaneous outputting via its HDMI and Component which is nice.

So has anyone else struggled to decide between the two? Any tips, tricks? I briefly consider a video processor to go with the 777ES but i think they are crazy expensive and going the way of the Dodo...

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:29 am

Choices:

Rip to Hard drive and use software to upconvert.

777ES for best analog reproduction AND control

995 for it's upconvert capability and limited control.

Or, a blend of all.

Put high usage (kids movies) on hard drive

Rentals in PC optical drive (blu-Ray)

SD DVD movies in 777 or 985 (whatever you like best).

DVDLobby 3.75 can manage whatever you come up with as a blended strategy.

T.Wells
Intermediate
Intermediate

I too have struggled with this

Postby T.Wells » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:14 pm

I am using only a single 777ES for my DVDs. I was ready to buy a stand alone video process to assist with the upconversion of SD-DVDs from the 777ES but was also put off by the price. At the time, I was ready for a new AVR so I went with one with an included video processing chip. Both Onkyo and Denon have offerings that include video processing chipsets. With that being said, there is an improvement in picture quality but not what you would see out of a stand-alone video processor.

I am still not impressed with the PQ of my DVDs but I guess I am very spoiled by the HD content currently available.

I am anxious to see a new Sony ES 400 disc changer with Blu-Ray included but Sony has not announced one yet. They do offer a Blu-Ray changer type of machine sold as an entertainment system but that is not what we are looking for at this point. In fact, I e-mailed Sony last week asking for a new Blu-Ray changer offering. They responded by telling me that they can not comment on products not listed on SonyStyle.com.

-T.Wells

windrockwater

Postby windrockwater » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:25 pm

Both of your posts make good sense.

I may just keep both and fill them up over time and be done with it. I could use the 777ES for my music DVDs and childrens movies. Then use the HDMI changer for most regular movie watching for the best PQ.

I have toyed with ripping all my DVDs but have not committed. I have about 10 ripped. Some as ISO's for single files others as VBO files for easier playing. I have many, many hard disks in a variety of RAID and non raid setups. But i do not have a a robust, scalable, safe large storage solution. The best i have come up with is a server case PC with RAID cards but the number of drives is limited to the card. I have not tried installing two RAID cards in one PC yet...

Return to “Sony”